New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #3,677 of 6,017
Sep 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3,678 of 6,017
Quote:
Well, I decided to buy the HE-400, velour pads and the FiiO E17. Is there a guide around on how to install the velour pads? SOrry, I'm new to all this.

It's simple, you just remove the old one's along with the plastic ring they are attached to and put the new one's in place. Pretty self explanatory once you see it, just don't be afraid to bend the plastic as it is flexible.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #3,680 of 6,017
Quote:
Definitely not! I have A-B'ed between the SE and Balanced outputs and I reconfirm my observations.

Yes, but did you match the levels exactly each time when A-B'ing?
By your own admission the balanced was louder ("gain increased a bit") and a slight increase in volume will always sound better in so many ways.  It's an old trick of hi-fi salesmen from way back.  All it takes is a dB or two.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #3,681 of 6,017
My evaluation was level matched and double blind. There is no doubt in my opinion. Others have found very similar if not the exact result. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #3,683 of 6,017
Quote:

Thanks.  I read your comments.  Very helpful.  I think I'm sold on the HE 400 because of your post.  It's less about preferring one type of music to another (I listen to all kinds and my tastes change dramatically), and more about what I would be "missing."  I'm most disappointed in music when I can't hear the low end bass when it should be there.  So, even though I listen to a lot of music with female vocalists (where you said you prefer the HD650), that probably wouldn't make up for missing bass when it should be there.

Glad I could help!  You can't go wrong with either choice, they're both excellent headphones. But yeah if your preference is to make sure you get all the sub-bass out of the recording, HE-400 is the route you want. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3,684 of 6,017
Quote:
Yes, but did you match the levels exactly each time when A-B'ing?
By your own admission the balanced was louder ("gain increased a bit") and a slight increase in volume will always sound better in so many ways.  It's an old trick of hi-fi salesmen from way back.  All it takes is a dB or two.

Yes, I increased the volume while on SE output to match the levels, while A-B'ing but found the same observation.
Balanced output really has an upper hand over the SE output for sure!

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #3,685 of 6,017
Yes, I increased the volume while on SE output to match the levels, while A-B'ing but found the same observation.
Balanced output really has an upper hand over the SE output for sure!

Maybe he's asking if in fact you did the measurements with some sort of measuring device to match db level output between SE and BAL outputs maybe and not by ear??

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #3,686 of 6,017
I don't have any figures on the NFB-6, but in most circuits your voltage swing in balanced mode will be close to double that in SE mode. Which usually results in a significant increase in gain. For example, my IBasso PB1 has a max gain of 7.5db in SE and 15db in balanced. I've found that in most amps it results in an improvement to SQ. Whether real or percieved, thats another matter altogether!

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #3,687 of 6,017
Quote:
I don't have any figures on the NFB-6, but in most circuits your voltage swing in balanced mode will be close to double that in SE mode. Which usually results in a significant increase in gain. For example, my IBasso PB1 has a max gain of 7.5db in SE and 15db in balanced. I've found that in most amps it results in an improvement to SQ. Whether real or percieved, thats another matter altogether!

I think the single ended connection somehow impact the sound signature as I see the headphone/earphone connected to a SE output as two coils (headphone drivers) connected with a common ground and the . As the coils have their own inductances/resistances, it is bound to change the sound of the other channel driver in some way. Think of it as a crossover network.

Whereas, The balanced output drives the two different coils (headphone drivers) independently and hence there is no involvement of any outside inductance/resistances to screw up the signal.

Tried to come up with a very rough diagram to explain what I am saying -

For single ended connection :

For Balanced connection :

The experts here please let me know if I am wrong.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #3,688 of 6,017
I don't have any figures on the NFB-6, but in most circuits your voltage swing in balanced mode will be close to double that in SE mode. Which usually results in a significant increase in gain. For example, my IBasso PB1 has a max gain of 7.5db in SE and 15db in balanced. I've found that in most amps it results in an improvement to SQ. Whether real or percieved, thats another matter

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #3,689 of 6,017
In the old Slimdevices forum, someone once asked if the Balanced output of the Transporter was better than the Single-Ended. Here is Sean Adams' reply:

"Balanced cabling may have an advantage over long distances (several meters) or in extremely noisy environments. Over short distances there is really no advantage over RCA AFAICT.

Transporter's RCA outputs are driven by an active balun circuit, which is fed by the exact same signal that goes directly out of the XLR. So it takes advantage of the balanced filter/DAC stages upstream from there. In terms of objective metrics (SNR, THD etc) there is no appreciable difference between Transporter's outputs, for short cables."

My opinion is that there are only 3 explanations for the RCA and balanced outputs on the NFB-6 to sound different.

1. The unit is not functioning properly
2. The unit is poorly designed
3. The listening conditions are not controlled (level match, double blind, etc.)

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #3,690 of 6,017
Quote:
In the old Slimdevices forum, someone once asked if the Balanced output of the Transporter was better than the Single-Ended. Here is Sean Adams' reply:

"Balanced cabling may have an advantage over long distances (several meters) or in extremely noisy environments. Over short distances there is really no advantage over RCA AFAICT.

Transporter's RCA outputs are driven by an active balun circuit, which is fed by the exact same signal that goes directly out of the XLR. So it takes advantage of the balanced filter/DAC stages upstream from there. In terms of objective metrics (SNR, THD etc) there is no appreciable difference between Transporter's outputs, for short cables."

My opinion is that there are only 3 explanations for the RCA and balanced outputs on the NFB-6 to sound different.

1. The unit is not functioning properly
2. The unit is poorly designed
3. The listening conditions are not controlled (level match, double blind, etc.)

Without any intention of starting a debate on "Balanced vs Unbalanced", here is some good read to understand the concept better -

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hifiportal.co.uk%2FArticles%2FArticle0003-BalancedVsSingleEnded.pdf&ei=0nVTUIGEIdSDqgHKgIHQCw&usg=AFQjCNFSSgTfVcef2CHHCpVj8H77CGchQw&sig2=eccgIwu75G8ibWTPV5R5EQ

My theory is entirely from the load prospective and not from the output side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back