New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #3,542 of 6,017
Fantastic, one of my drivers just went quieter.

Sigh...

edit: Aaaand, now it's ok. Odd.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3,543 of 6,017
Quote:
I will end up using the HE 400 alongside my macbook pro laptop while I work. Mostly listening to classical, house, mashups, remixes and hiphop. I am mostly on the go. So sometimes I work at Starbucks, office, home, etc.

So far considering the Fiio E17, but some are suggesting Lyr (which model btw?). Your thoughts and experience will be appreciated.

[size=10pt]Lyr is totally inappropriate to your requirements, would look hilarious using it in Starbucks[/size].

E17 would be good but also have a look at the Audioengine D1.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,544 of 6,017
So is it fair to say that these can be paired quite well with Asus ST(X)? Time to try them, but have no burning desire to buy separate amp at the moment.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3,547 of 6,017
Quote:
They're both pretty tight. I hope it was a freak occurrence.

If it isn't, it could be that weird weather-sensitive arthritis defect my first pair had. Did your region have some dramatic shift in weather today?

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #3,548 of 6,017
Actually, it's a bit cooler today, though they stay in my house which is around the same temp(s) regardless on whatever happens outside.

It was weird though. I put them on as soon as I got home, and the balance difference was obvious. A few songs in, and it corrected itself. I went back to the first songs, and all was good.

What doesn't help is when songs have sound effects that are leaning towards one side. Sigh...

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #3,549 of 6,017
Quote:
Actually, it's a bit cooler today, though they stay in my house which is around the same temp(s) regardless on whatever happens outside.
It was weird though. I put them on as soon as I got home, and the balance difference was obvious. A few songs in, and it corrected itself. I went back to the first songs, and all was good.
What doesn't help is when songs have sound effects that are leaning towards one side. Sigh...

Yeah that doesn't sound like the defect I experienced (huge imbalance that occurs over a course of a few hours when a high pressure weather system moves in my town, and then over the course of 10 hours or so, return back to normal).

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #3,550 of 6,017
Quote:

Just to be sure, take a pair of needle nose and carefully put a half turn on both connectors being careful not to scratch the paint. This has happened to me twice and I thought something was wrong with the hp and it wasn't.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #3,551 of 6,017
Quote:
So is it fair to say that these can be paired quite well with Asus ST(X)? Time to try them, but have no burning desire to buy separate amp at the moment.

Definitely, with plenty power to spare too. It's best to use it on the +12Db gain setting with the Essence. No gain isn't quite loud enough and very high gain would blow your ears off.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #3,552 of 6,017
Hello guys,

Greetings from Malaysia!

This is my first post in Head-fi and also my first jump into Audiophile world. Before this, I only playing with PC and Car Audio.

Been reading a lot and finally decide to order the HE-400 from Head-Direct.

Would appreciate it if you guys can recommend a good DAC/Amp for it. Looking for the best bang for buck combo here.

I can see a lot using Fiio E17. Is Schiit Bifrost + Asgard a good combo?

Thanks.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #3,554 of 6,017
I'm seriously contemplating getting these, I recently sold my Ultrasone Signature Pro and was looking to see if anyone has heard both and could give me a brief comparison?

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,555 of 6,017
Quote:
Hello guys,

Greetings from Malaysia!

This is my first post in Head-fi and also my first jump into Audiophile world. Before this, I only playing with PC and Car Audio.

Been reading a lot and finally decide to order the HE-400 from Head-Direct.

Would appreciate it if you guys can recommend a good DAC/Amp for it. Looking for the best bang for buck combo here.

I can see a lot using Fiio E17. Is Schiit Bifrost + Asgard a good combo?

Thanks.

The Bifrost+Asgard combo is good,but expect to pay somewhere around ~$450 - $550 for a used pair (price depending if it's w/ or w/o USB). I have the stack and it drives the headphones quite well (the asgard does get really hot though, which is normal). If you are on a budget, I would suggest getting the bifrost w/o USB. You get a better connection w/ spdif anyways. 

You can't go wrong with the e17, though. For $139, it's the best bang for your buck and certainly won't disappoint. You can also check out the O2+ODAC combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back