New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 1, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3,422 of 6,017
I wouldn't think velours would make that much of a difference. I mean I didn't really notice any when I swapped them in my V6's, not that those headphones are anywhere near this level.

The only thing turning me away from velour is that it doesn't look nearly as nice as the leather ones...

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,423 of 6,017
Quote:
I wouldn't think velours would make that much of a difference. I mean I didn't really notice any when I swapped them in my V6's, not that those headphones are anywhere near this level.

The only thing turning me away from velour is that it doesn't look nearly as nice as the leather ones...

It's been well documented that the velour make a significant difference in overall SQ. Best $10 I've ever spent in audio possibly....quite possibly. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #3,425 of 6,017

It's been well documented that the velour make a significant difference in overall SQ. Best $10 I've ever spent in audio possibly....quite possibly. 
biggrin.gif

Can you refer me to some of this documentation? I have been looking and can't seem to find anything on it aside from hearsay.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3,426 of 6,017
Pad swapping makes an impact on most headphones, though most of the time, it seems to be negative. But with the HE400, is glaringly obvious just how improved the sound is with velour.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3,430 of 6,017
I had the opportunity to compare both the HE400 and HE500 side by side, on a Lyr+Bifrost rig. While the mids on the HE500s are more clear and pronounced, and the treble smoother, the HE400 simply trounces the HE500s in bass texture, impact, everything really apart from some microdetails, and maybe extension, in which they are both pretty equal. Yes, the HE500s are the better phone, but I do think that the bass is a weakness relative to the LCD-2 and HE-400, it can be a bit wooly. Again, this is out of the Lyr (which I happen to like a lot for a tube amp), and both had velours. Out of my home rig with the DAC-1, nothing touches the HE-400s bass, except for the LCD-2, and even that's debatable in terms of sheer enjoyment. 

I would have gotten the HE-500 to complement my LCD-2, but once I heard the HE-400, I reconsidered for the HE-6 later on, while still keeping both. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3,431 of 6,017
How does the He-400 run out of the asgard? Does anyone have experience with them? 

I'm considering ending my rig with a He-400 and an Asgard and calling it a day. From then on out my money would go to camera lens.

oh wait.. I need to make a portable rig too.. :/ 

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #3,432 of 6,017
Quote:
I had the opportunity to compare both the HE400 and HE500 side by side, on a Lyr+Bifrost rig. While the mids on the HE500s are more clear and pronounced, and the treble smoother, the HE400 simply trounces the HE500s in bass texture, impact, everything really apart from some microdetails, and maybe extension, in which they are both pretty equal. Yes, the HE500s are the better phone, but I do think that the bass is a weakness relative to the LCD-2 and HE-400, it can be a bit wooly. Again, this is out of the Lyr (which I happen to like a lot for a tube amp), and both had velours. Out of my home rig with the DAC-1, nothing touches the HE-400s bass, except for the LCD-2, and even that's debatable in terms of sheer enjoyment. 

I would have gotten the HE-500 to complement my LCD-2, but once I heard the HE-400, I reconsidered for the HE-6 later on, while still keeping both. 

This is exactly how I heard the differences also when comparing this weekend. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3,433 of 6,017
I'm such a fool, I forgot that this entire weekend is Labor Day weekend, and today itself is Labor Day holiday. I ordered my HE-400's on early Friday morning, but they probably weren't readied to be shipped given it was a holiday weekend for most, and today there is no shipping today.

Blargh. Chances of getting it this week despite paying over night, is probably very low now if they are shipping from Honk Kong. I woke up this morning to check my order status, thinking SURELY they updated it. Then it dawned on me, it's a Holiday! 

Thankfully, I have school all week. So my mind will be off this.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,434 of 6,017
Of course the waiting is always the worst part. The good part is the day that you get them. Nothing like plugging in a new pair of hp...especially one like the he400. It's a nice moment. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,435 of 6,017
Quote:

Thankfully, I have school all week. So my mind will be off this.

Hey , Just to confirm since i was only 90% sure when i said it was coming from HK , :) My parcel did in fact get shipped from Hong Kong by DHL , and the total trip time, from collection to signing was collection on saturday at 7 pm ( in my local time ) to sign off in Dublin, Ireland at 1 pm local . 

And just to mention about being in school and mind being off your cans , Hahaha no it won't , its all I could think about during work !!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back