New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Sep 1, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #3,406 of 6,017
The DIR9001 is another SPDIF chip option for the NFB5. The stock chip on the NFB5 has been known to be slightly inferior to the DIR9001.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB5/NFB5EN_Custom.htm

The stock chip accepts a 192KHz, while the DIR9001 accepts 96khz, but the DIR9001 is more neutral and cleaner sounding, FWIR.

192khz is VERY rare, and not something you'll really be able use. We use 44.1/48khz for the majority of our listening anyways.

In actual practice, switching from my USB to the SPDIF, I notice a boost in overall clarity, which is always welcome.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #3,409 of 6,017
Well, come on man, you need the e17 as a portable anyway right. You can always use some EQ with the Audio GD, but it sounds a little warmer to me anyway. You can also buy OPA for it where you can color the sound...earth moon and sun to be exact. You can sometimes pick them up used here.

It's a quality amp, no question. Will drive anything really. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #3,411 of 6,017
For me, the AG and BF beat the nfb-5. It's to describe an qualify by just how much. I'd take a gander at about 25%...

Hope that helps.

gL!!

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #3,412 of 6,017
Just got mine today. 

Amazing headphones, electronic music, especially in the ambient variety, sounds absolutely incredible on these things. I was noticing certain higher pitch synths were a little harsh on it, but I think that's just cause it was early in the morning for me. I'll have to keep trying out more stuff on them.

Right now I'm listening to a live EOTO recording and the bass is excellent in it, it's really surprising it can get this good without being closed...

Also the detail is just ridiculous, I noticed in live recordings you can hear each individual clap. And it's really nice listening to bluegrass with these and hearing each individual note with extreme clarity.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #3,416 of 6,017
Im about to push the button and order it, since there is no hardware EQ on the NFB-5.2 how is the bass compared to the E17. I almost always have the E17 on +2 bass as i think it sounds great like that.

Funny you should say that. I feel the NFB5's bass is like the E17 on +2 (somtimes even 4), but the NFB5 has a fuller sound, and the treble isn't as peaky.

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #3,417 of 6,017
I received my pair of HE400s today and boy am I confused. When I tried these a few months ago I was a little disappointed. They sounded a bit off, like the upper-mids and highs were recessed. Either I had a defective pair or my ears were full of wax because the pair I received today sounds fantastic. I am not hearing anything that is remotely recessed.

I was also concerned about the detail level of the HE400s. Well, as soon as I put them on my head that concern was gone. I am hearing as much, if not more detail than my Q701s, which is a very detailed headphone. The detail is presented in a different way though. I understand why people call orthos 'effortless'. Music just flows out of the HE400s. The highs are sparkly, the mids are rich and full of detail. Oh, and the bass... The bass is fantastic, but you all knew that already. :wink:

So, here I am, listening to these wondering why my impressions were so different the first time. Whatever the reason, I am very happy I gave the HE400s another shot.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3,419 of 6,017
I'm having an annoying issue with my HE-400. The 3.5mm plug on the cable can't keep a proper connection to my laptop or E17. Usually the left driver goes out with very little or no movement of the cable. Unplugging and plugging back in the cable only helps the problem temporally. This doesn't happen when I use the 1/4 adapter. Never had this problem with any other pair of headphones. Do any of you have this problem with the HE-400? 

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3,420 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm having an annoying issue with my HE-400. The 3.5mm plug on the cable can't keep a proper connection to my laptop or E17. Usually the left driver goes out with very little or no movement of the cable. Unplugging and plugging back in the cable only helps the problem temporally. This doesn't happen when I use the 1/4 adapter. Never had this problem with any other pair of headphones. Do any of you have this problem with the HE-400? 

It sound like the soldering to the plug is bad. If you had a second cable or access to borrow one, you could check it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back