New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #196 of 6,017
HE-400 has more bass, slightly rough and less lush mids, and brighter treble. 

Quote:
I don't think that's subjective, the HE500 is a great phone to compare to.  What's subjective are terms that really just mean something different to everyone.  I'm curious how it's sound signature compares to HE500 in terms of quantity of bass, mids, upper mids and treble.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #197 of 6,017

Quote:
It's faster than HD650 for sure. After all it's an ortho. :) 

Thank you, Sir.
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #198 of 6,017
I'd really like a comparison to the HE4. Not in which is better (subjective), but how it compares in bass, mids, highs, etc. Also, a comparison with mid-fi Beyers would be lovely.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #200 of 6,017
The one thing that draws me away from them are those circular earpads.  Why, oh why, do people keep making circle pads.  They fit so clumsily compared to the oval pads that Denon and Sennheiser provide.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #201 of 6,017

Quote:
The one thing that draws me away from them are those circular earpads.  Why, oh why, do people keep making circle pads.  They fit so clumsily compared to the oval pads that Denon and Sennheiser provide.

I guess it's because the orthodynamic drivers are huge and circular, so the smallest they could make the headphone casing was by making them circular. Making them oval would be even bigger and it'd be ridiculously huge (the narrowest radius of the oval would be the radius of the circle, if you know what I mean).

It's less of a problem with dynamic headphones because rarely are their diaphragms that big.

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #202 of 6,017
@Blankdisk

Personally, I think your impressions have been valuable and you are by no means hyping the HE-400. It's not like you said it was the greatest headphone ever and that the heavens with part and angels sing the moment one puts in on their head. It's not surprising that a ortho created in 2011/2012 will out perform dynamic headphones created four to six years ago. Owning/loving the HE-500 makes it easier to understand what you're saying
biggrin.gif

Just out of curiousity are you using the new velour pads with the HE-500? I found the new velour to increase bass body and also mid-body, a nice improvement that makes the HE-500 even more lush/warm and just damn beautiful to listen to. The mids are to die for now and that bass is just about perfect. Have you tried that HE-400 with the HE-500 pads at all? Just curious.

Do you find the treble too bright for the HE-400? Like what people experienced with the HE-5 or is it still pretty tame/non-shrill and just brighter compared to the HE-500? Also, would you describe the mids as recessed or thin at all? Or are they still pretty full, but just a bit thinner compared to the HE-500. I guess I'm asking if you think the frequencey response is "V" shaped or would be described more as flat from top to bottom. Can you also confirm WARP08's impression that it has a faster transient response compared to the HE-500? This would be a big plus for me if that was true.

The million dollar question is, will you be purchasing the HE-400? I'm wondering because I want to know if there is room for it in my collection as well.

Quote:
HE-400 has more bass, slightly rough and less lush mids, and brighter treble. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #203 of 6,017
I'm still wondering if anyone would happen to know if Denon earpads would fit on this phone's mounting rings.  They both just wrap around, so wouldn't diameter be the determining factor?

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #204 of 6,017

Quote:
I'm still wondering if anyone would happen to know if Denon earpads would fit on this phone's mounting rings.  They both just wrap around, so wouldn't diameter be the determining factor?

I thought HIFIMAN earpads clip onto the headphone casing rather than wrap onto it...

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #205 of 6,017
Speaking of which, would you recommend the HE-500 or HE-400 sound signature for mandarin tracks?

BTW, are you from the Tianjin area? That's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I see Nankai.
Quote:
Really? When did I say that? HE-500 headphones are much better for long time listening, and I don't think HE-500 have less detail.

To be honest, we did tune HE-400 more "American sound" than HE-500. Comparing typical America sound thiel or JBL speakers to UK speaker such as spendor sp100, ATC or harbeth, many people believe thiel or JBL have more detail or more neutrual than those UK speakers, but I personally perfer Spendor or harbeth a lot. I don't like America sound signature. But business is business, we have to make something can sell. 

If Senn dare to sell Orpheus below $2000, a lot of headfiers will complain that it is lack of detail comparing to STAX. 

Fang

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #207 of 6,017

Quote:
Speaking of which, would you recommend the HE-500 or HE-400 sound signature for mandarin tracks?

BTW, are you from the Tianjin area? That's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I see Nankai.

There is no relation between sound signature and language. 

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #209 of 6,017
Nankai,
That is interesting that you said that the HE-400 was designed more toward the likes of Thiel speakers in sound. I used to own Thiel speakers and I [size=medium]regard [/size]them to be one of the most neutral and cleanest sounding speakers around. My former Ohm F's were the best.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #210 of 6,017

Don't know about Denon pads but they work great with pads for DT770 and it's siblings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back