New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jan 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #226 of 6,017
Yes, well, IMIHO (in my impressively humble opinion), the non-American sound isn't necessarily the zenith of neutrality.  I've done sessions with English producers who were obsessive in their quest for mids so pervasive you had to tiptoe around them for fear of forfeiting the space for your own abdomen.  I've said goodnight and stepped into the elevator with the signature of their rough mixes still vibrating in my nose.

But back on topic:  If I had to characterize the HE-400 in a sentence, I'd say they really, really haven't been heard by me just yet. Mysterious yet quintessentially American, much like the table manners of my in-laws.

Quote:
I dont think your average american who listens to beiber and gaga and likes an "american sound" is going to buy $400 headphones from hifiman.  If they are spending that much - they are getting beats.

IMO - most interested in these phones want a neutral sound - not exaggerated bass and treble...

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #227 of 6,017

Quote:
Yes, well, IMIHO (in my impressively humble opinion), the non-American sound isn't necessarily the zenith of neutrality.  I've done sessions with English producers who were obsessive in their quest for mids so pervasive you had to tiptoe around them for fear of forfeiting the space for your own abdomen.  I've said goodnight and stepped into the elevator with the signature of their rough mixes still vibrating in my nose.

But back on topic:  If I had to characterize the HE-400 in a sentence, I'd say they really, really haven't been heard by me just yet. Mysterious yet quintessentially American, much like the table manners of my in-laws.

Do you write for a living? Please keep contributing to this thread!

If I get some extra $$ I am definitely interested in doing a shootout between my HE-4 and the HE-400.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #228 of 6,017
I wouldn't call it a literary opus or a sign of the next coming of Jack Kerouac, but it is nice to see someone putting a little effort to do something different in their posts...moar pleeze.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #233 of 6,017

Quote:

Ditto on the "English sound" being far from neutral.   Look no further than the Linn LP12 -- quintessential British euphonic sound, although the Scottish would take offense at this reference.  

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #235 of 6,017
Hi all 

Just pre-order a HE400 myself , with the sound characteristic mentioned at this thread. it seem upgrading to a high purity copper with silver will help to tamed down the treble and smooth the mid range while helping on the low bass. now... need to source for a perfect cable to upgrade the stock cable . 

if , just if , Fann could throw in the same silver cable of HE500 will be nice improvement on the sound quality . 

Planning to pair to with one/few of the setup  I have :-

1. Ipod > CLS Alog Solo DAC > continental V2 > HE400
2. Ipod > Fostex HP-P1 >HE400
3. Ipod > CLS Alog Solo DAC > Necosound labs Dual Mono Op Amp V3 Amp > HE400
4. Ipod > Fostex HP-P1> Necosound Labs Dual Mono Op Amp V3 Amp >HE400
5. Ipod > Fostex HP-P1> Violectric HPA-V200>HE400
6. Ipod > CLS Alog Solo DAC> Violectric HPA-V200>HE400

setup 1-4 for on the go,
Setup 5-6 at office/Home 

LOL.

Raymond Lim 

Jan 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #237 of 6,017
His name is Fang
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
if , just if , Fann could throw in the same silver cable of HE500 will be nice improvement on the sound quality . 

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #238 of 6,017
I've got an HE500 here with Canare cable and the absolute last thing I would ever want in a million trillion years is a silver cable on this headphone.  It already sounds like it has a silver cable and needs copper. 

More expensive is not always better folks, even if it says "upgrade" on the box.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #239 of 6,017

Quote:
I've got an HE500 here with Canare cable and the absolute last thing I would ever want in a million trillion years is a silver cable on this headphone.  It already sounds like it has a silver cable and needs copper. 

More expensive is not always better folks, even if it says "upgrade" on the box.

I agree, the He-500 needs copper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back