New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Jan 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #242 of 6,017
Hello Adam , 
The V3 Amp from Necosound lab is pending for shipment as he is back from Holiday on 05th Jan2012 to work on my order. 
in any case, I should be receiving it by Mid Jan'2012. 

I have high expectation on His AMP and very eager to compare it with ALO continental V2 Amp . it will be interesting . 

Cheers. 
Raymond Lim 

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #243 of 6,017
Raymond,

Keep me posted. Better yet, I'd love it if you could post a review on Head-Fi comparing the Neco to your ALO amp. Neco deserves greater recognition. I have his older, larger 18V "portable" amp and absolutely love it. The fact that he was able to add so many features and get 18V in a smaller package is a big win (though the price has also gone up considerably when you add up all the extras).

Neco is a great guy to deal with and I love his work.

Best,
Adam

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #244 of 6,017
Running mine with original Canare cables + new velour pads. Glad you finally got to hear a pair. Are they burned in or new? I'm interested to hear what you have to say about them.

Quote:
I've got an HE500 here with Canare cable and the absolute last thing I would ever want in a million trillion years is a silver cable on this headphone.  It already sounds like it has a silver cable and needs copper. 

More expensive is not always better folks, even if it says "upgrade" on the box.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #245 of 6,017
Quote:
I've got an HE500 here with Canare cable and the absolute last thing I would ever want in a million trillion years is a silver cable on this headphone.  It already sounds like it has a silver cable and needs copper. 

More expensive is not always better folks, even if it says "upgrade" on the box.

I agree, the He-500 needs copper :)

Wel in my rig they work great with TWag

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #247 of 6,017
Got a few questions:

Do the earcups rotate the whole way out on these phones?  It's a bit of a turn off when the pads can flop out.

Do they come with both types of pads?  And which cable  do they come with?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #248 of 6,017
Definitely interested in the HE-400. I've been looking for a mid-tier that's relatively neutral but a bit fun/v shaped that doesnt take a 1000 amp to drive. Really hoping some more reviews/impressions are available before the pre-order price expires.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #251 of 6,017
We've had a couple of good ones, and the President of the company/creator/founder Dr. Fang has described the sound and the intention behind making the HE-400. I think that may be something.. I know it's not a TV episode featuring Jude, or a Skylab write up, or Purrin measurement, but to say there isn't any impressions is just not true...

Quote:
I'm surprised that there won't be any impressions (at least none that anyone is hinting of) before CES.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #253 of 6,017

Quote:
We've had a couple of good ones, and the President of the company/creator/founder Dr. Fang has described the sound and the intention behind making the HE-400. I think that may be something.. I know it's not a TV episode featuring Jude, or a Skylab write up, or Purrin measurement, but to say there isn't any impressions is just not true...

Oh sorry that was a typo, I meant any more impressions (I know of blankdisc's and warp08's impressions). Specifically, impressions where they are compared against popular cans of the same price-point.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #254 of 6,017

Quote:
The one thing that draws me away from them are those circular earpads.  Why, oh why, do people keep making circle pads.  They fit so clumsily compared to the oval pads that Denon and Sennheiser provide.

Quote:
I guess it's because the orthodynamic drivers are huge and circular, so the smallest they could make the headphone casing was by making them circular. Making them oval would be even bigger and it'd be ridiculously huge (the narrowest radius of the oval would be the radius of the circle, if you know what I mean).

It's less of a problem with dynamic headphones because rarely are their diaphragms that big.

I think it's mostly to reduce labor time and difficulty.

You can make round things easily and quickly on a lathe. Any other shape must either be done by complex machines or by hand.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #255 of 6,017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

To be honest, we did tune HE-400 more "American sound" than HE-500.

<snip>

Fang

I'm hoping that the HE-400 will be a nice complement to my Grado RS1i paired with the Mapletree Ear+.
A nice start into orthos without having to buy another amp.
Looking forward to early impressions from CES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back