New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2,687 of 6,017
It is not too advanced. I was afraid I was going to break them myself, but they are surprisingly sturdy.

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,689 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm about to the pull the trigger on one of these HE-400's. Just curious but how do you take off the earpads? I read that they were a total pain in the butt to take off and re-apply. Many accounts of breaking them. Any links or videos would be appreciated.

I posted this glorious MSpaint pad swap instructions guide a couple of weeks ago in this thread, here lemme post it again:

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,690 of 6,017
Even with those instructions, they aren't easy. I basically just manhandle the pads until they go in. The first two are easy, then the last two tabs, I force to go over the edge and under... all with my bare hands.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #2,692 of 6,017
While its still a pain in the ass to remove/replace, they are still infinitely better than the old Hifiman pads with the clear plastic teeth. Those were an absolute nightmare, and the teeth were prone to breaking. Dunno what the hell they were thinking with those.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,693 of 6,017
Seems like they figured that bit out. I would be impressed if anyone managed to break these new teeth.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #2,694 of 6,017
I've swapped to and from the pleathers quite a bit as I have always been a bigger fan than the velours, although I say that I'm using them more and more, and yea , the procedure is quite simple:

Slot the first two tabs in, then find tab 3, and push on the earpad till it bends in and clicks down into place, then repeat for tab 4, tab 4 takes a little bit more effort, but i've never considered myself close to damaging them, study little earcups if i do say so myself. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,695 of 6,017
Which would be better out of the Matrix m-stage with USB or the Audio-gd NFB12/NFB15?

I know the DAC in the Audio-gd is better, I am more interested in which would be the better amp for the HE-400.
Big turn off for the Audio-gd is no line in.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2,696 of 6,017
Quote:
Which would be better out of the Matrix m-stage with USB or the Audio-gd NFB12/NFB15?

I know the DAC in the Audio-gd is better, I am more interested in which would be the better amp for the HE-400.
Big turn off for the Audio-gd is no line in.

In the NFB-12.1 and NFB-15, that is correct.  However, in the "Fun" model, There are line in jacks.  Plus with the op-amp modules can be swapped out for others to change the sound signature.  But, you have to find the amp / DAC used to get one.  Oh, for those NFB-5 / 5.2 users, I was just studying the board pictures of that model on the Web site.  Ironically, the PCB in one of the pictures is labeled - "FUN (2011)".  However, in the other two pictures, it is hard to see.  But, if you look close enough at one of the pictures, where the white lettering is on the board, you can see where they either used a black Sharpie or Photoshop software to hide the lettering.  Granted, the pictures may have been of a very early release of the NFB5-, but that's the PCB board that they initially used.  The boards probably still have the same layout, but different silk-screen lettering on the boards.  I wonder if Audio-GD was working on an additional revision to the "Fun" but then decided to change the naming to the NFB-5?  Hmm ...

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,699 of 6,017
Nice, my E17 just arrived in the mail. Gonna do some critical listening 
beerchug.gif
 brb.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,700 of 6,017
Quote:
Nice, my E17 just arrived in the mail. Gonna do some critical listening 
beerchug.gif
 brb.

The e17 pairs very nicely with the he400. You will enjoy it for sure. I usually don't like to add much gain to the amp, but the e17 does need extra gain to drive the he400 properly. It's a great little device for the money. Slap a l7 cable on it with an ipod and you've got a great portable setup!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back