New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,659 of 6,017
Yes, that's like the E9 vs Lyr. I always found the E9 to have more mids, despite the thinner sound. Fullness can spread sounds a bit, making them less audible. Thinness may make sounds more audible and easier to locate.

I can see how bass being thinner would make it have more bite. It's thinness makes it more focused, though less cohesive.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,660 of 6,017
Quote:
Yes, that's like the E9 vs Lyr. I always found the E9 to have more mids, despite the thinner sound. Fullness can spread sounds a bit, making them less audible. Thinness may make sounds more audible and easier to locate.
I can see how bass being thinner would make it have more bite. it's thinness makes it more focus, though less cohesive.

Well said. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2,661 of 6,017
One good example of thin sounding but focused is the AD700. It's that thinness paired with it's huge soundstage that makes it easy to pinpoint sounds.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,663 of 6,017
It costs considerably less, so I'd hope it wouldn't stack up to the others. I'm mainly referring to gaming, which due to the thin and bright signature on the AD700s, is very easy to locate sounds.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2,664 of 6,017
Has anyone disected the HifiMAN silver cable?  Shipping a silver cable with a $249 pair of headphones makes me scratch my head a bit.  I know, odd.  But, I really wonder if the cable might just be copper on the core, but treated with silver on the outside? 

When it comes to silver cables, I thought the material like Chris_Himself uses to build the cables he sells is 99.97% silver and usually a Teflon-based insulation over the cable.  If I seem off base, please let me know.  I really think that if we want to play with silver cable, we'd be looking at about $175.00 for a 7' braided section, or more.  The last time I checked silver wire prices, I would have to pay $4.00 per linear foot, for a single wire.  So, taking into account that one would use extra cable for the braiding process, two cables going to each headphone cup, then 3 or 4 wires (if balanced) from the yoke to the connector.  Add a Furutech connector, and BAM!  $175.00 quite easily.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2,665 of 6,017
Quote:
Has anyone disected the HifiMAN silver cable?  Shipping a silver cable with a $249 pair of headphones makes me scratch my head a bit.  I know, odd.  But, I really wonder if the cable might just be copper on the core, but treated with silver on the outside? 

When it comes to silver cables, I thought the material like Chris_Himself uses to build the cables he sells is 99.97% silver and usually a Teflon-based insulation over the cable.  If I seem off base, please let me know.  I really think that if we want to play with silver cable, we'd be looking at about $175.00 for a 7' braided section, or more.  The last time I checked silver wire prices, I would have to pay $4.00 per linear foot, for a single wire.  So, taking into account that one would use extra cable for the braiding process, two cables going to each headphone cup, then 3 or 4 wires (if balanced) from the yoke to the connector.  Add a Furutech connector, and BAM!  $175.00 quite easily.

Yeah I'm curious about that too. Surely someone has shortened the HFM silver cable?

By the way you had the HE500s and HE300s for a while, did you try the cable-swapping with your HE400s and what were your observations?

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2,666 of 6,017
Twin entry phones always need four conductors unless the Y split features a junction.

The silver wire used in the HiFiMan silver cables is the same stuff they use to connect the drivers to the connectors.  I almost wonder if they were just out of canare and threw in a silver cable so they could get it out the door.  I've had both and I actually prefer the canare, the silver cable is stiff anyway and the canare is less prone to tangle.  

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2,667 of 6,017
Quote:
Twin entry phones always need four conductors unless the Y split features a junction.

The silver wire used in the HiFiMan silver cables is the same stuff they use to connect the drivers to the connectors.  I almost wonder if they were just out of canare and threw in a silver cable so they could get it out the door.  I've had both and I actually prefer the canare, the silver cable is stiff anyway and the canare is less prone to tangle.  

Wow never noticed that until now. That is definitely a possibility.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,668 of 6,017
Quote:

Yeah I'm curious about that too. Surely someone has shortened the HFM silver cable?

By the way you had the HE500s and HE300s for a while, did you try the cable-swapping with your HE400s and what were your observations?

Yes, I did swap the cables around a bit.  The silver with the HE-400 and HE-500, didn't change things in such a way that I would have kept that cable.  In fact, I only owned the HE-300s for about 4 days, then sold them locally.  I felt like I was getting nuts having all these headphones from HifiMAN and it really was dumb to own the HE-300, when the HE-400 would easily best it, and I'd use the HE-400 more often.  When it came to the sale, I could have swapped my Canare cable out for the silver, but I let the silver cable go with the HE-400s.  I think the guy who bought my HE-300s didn't care for the silver cable either, and wanted a backup cable to use, which would be less fragile looking and feeling.  In fact, I connected him up with the thread where Matt was selling a spare HifiMAN black cable and he bought it.  It was either get a deal from Matt, or look at the cable vendors on eBay selling the $175.00 boutique cables.  I don't think he wanted to spend as much on a replacement cable as he paid for the HE-300s.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,669 of 6,017
My last email from Qingting was now over 2 days ago. I re-sent my email twice. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back