New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
May 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,831 of 1,933
Good to see the 5LE's are still receiving some appreciation here.  Not sure why they were discontinued either.  Besides the HE-5, which had the wood cup splitting problems, I don't think any other Hifiman cans were discontinued?  The HE-4, 300, 400, 500, and HE-6 all seem available.  Which brings up another observation: For awhile, Hifiman seemed to be cranking out the models in quick succession, but it's been quite awhile since they've released a new model. Wonder why that is. . .

I use my 5LE's with the Hifiman EF5 hybrid amp or through vintage receivers (sometimes headphone out, sometimes speaker taps).  While they do require a lot of power compared to may other cans, I don't think you need to spend a lot to get them to sound really good.

May 31, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #1,832 of 1,933
Quote:
Good to see the 5LE's are still receiving some appreciation here.  Not sure why they were discontinued either.  Besides the HE-5, which had the wood cup splitting problems, I don't think any other Hifiman cans were discontinued?  The HE-4, 300, 400, 500, and HE-6 all seem available.  Which brings up another observation: For awhile, Hifiman seemed to be cranking out the models in quick succession, but it's been quite awhile since they've released a new model. Wonder why that is. . .

I use my 5LE's with the Hifiman EF5 hybrid amp or through vintage receivers (sometimes headphone out, sometimes speaker taps).  While they do require a lot of power compared to may other cans, I don't think you need to spend a lot to get them to sound really good.

Lots of people were complaining about that... They release two heavy hitters that sell like hotcakes: the HE-400 & HE-500. They are much easier to drive than the older model they "replace" (namely, the HE-4 and HE-5LE). They're heavier as well but that don't seem to restrain people from buying them.

The HE-6 is still one of the very best headphones today, so they probably don't need to release a new one (a new planar, at least).

Though I honestly think the HE-500 is slightly more refined overall than the HE-5LE, it is also much less balanced and slower (call it genre specific). That's why I chose to get the HE-5LE as the better all-rounder and never looked back since.

I would certainly enjoy a HE-5LE Anniversary Edition which would keep the balance and get the treble refinement of the 500s. 
beerchug.gif

May 31, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #1,833 of 1,933
Quote:

Lots of people were complaining about that... They release two heavy hitters that sell like hotcakes: the HE-400 & HE-500. They are much easier to drive than the older model they "replace" (namely, the HE-4 and HE-5LE). They're heavier as well but that don't seem to restrain people from buying them.

The HE-6 is still one of the very best headphones today, so they probably don't need to release a new one (a new planar, at least).

Though I honestly think the HE-500 is slightly more refined overall than the HE-5LE, it is also much less balanced and slower (call it genre specific). That's why I chose to get the HE-5LE as the better all-rounder and never looked back since.

I would certainly enjoy a HE-5LE Anniversary Edition which would keep the balance and get the treble refinement of the 500s. 
beerchug.gif

How glorious that would be. I'm loving the HE-5LE, but I do find the treble a bit fatiguing after a while.

May 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,834 of 1,933
Thats very strange - I found highs at D2000 (looking at your signature) more disturbing, less extended and with some kind of harshness than these at HE5LE. Maybe built in amp in Audio GD doesnt do justice?
Another option is to use leather pads - I kinda like HE5LE with it. At this website you can compare HE6 with stock and leather pads - highs are less pronounced.

http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/#HiFiMan

May 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,835 of 1,933
Quote:
Thats very strange - I found highs at D2000 (looking at your signature) more disturbing, less extended and with some kind of harshness than these at HE5LE. Maybe built in amp in Audio GD doesnt do justice?
Another option is to use leather pads - I kinda like HE5LE with it. At this website you can compare HE6 with stock and leather pads - highs are less pronounced.

+1, I use Alpha Pads on the 5LEs with excellent result 
beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,836 of 1,933
Quote:

I know what you mean about the D2000. The first time I heard the D2000 at a local meet, I loved it, though I was concerned about the highs. They were rather sharp. But when I bought a D2000 for myself, I was really surprised. Idk if it's unit variation, or if it's because mine is one of the newer production models which are supposedly smoother, but my D2000 is supremely smooth in the highs. One of my favorite treble presentations yet actually. It never fatigues me.

Old D2000: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD2000.pdf
New D2000: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD2000B2012.pdf

Notice the big difference in the leading edge on the 300 Hz square wave. The newer D2000 is significantly less sharp sounding, if you were to go just by the graphs. My ears certainly agree. I consider my D2000 one of the least fatiguing headphones I've owned. I was just as surprised as you probably are to hear that.

As for the HE-5LE, it actually does well on the NFB 15.1, which gives it about 2.5 watts. But I'm actually driving it the Emotiva mini-X a-100. Whenever I first put it on, it sounds very smooth. But in longer listening sessions, I find myself turning down the volume because of the treble. And I don't even listen very loud to begin with. I think it may be partially to do with how close the drivers are to the ear, as opposed to something like the HD800 which also has elevated treble, but I find less fatiguing. Nevertheless, the HE-5LE is one of my favorite headphones I've heard to date. I'm strongly considering picking one up.

Edit: Also, I actually did try the leather pads on the HE-5LE. It does take a bit of edge off, but I don't like the sound as much. The HE-4, on the other hand, I found really responds greatly to the pleather pads! Was a nice surprise.

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #1,837 of 1,933
I am interested in any opinions or experience with the Schiit Mjolnir with the HE-5LE's

I currently use the HE-adapter with a Marantz SR-7003 receiver, but I'm thinking about upgrading to the Oppo BDP-105 as a source, running balanced into the Mjolnir.

-S

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,838 of 1,933
Have had my 5LE's for a couple weeks now. They are sublime. Been using them with my Sansui 1000x as amp and titanium HD for source. Has been sublime thus far. In the process of recapping, new better fuses, and cables to bring it up a few more notches. Also will be modding the phones themselves shortly there after. Planning on changing the steel mesh to something a little more open. Also restitching the headband to something more thicker plushier, probably more akin the LCD series headband. (have a very nice leather sewing machine as I use make custom leather books and restoration) May, just maybe might make velour angled pads. But holding out to see if they ever offer the Vegan pads in black. Not sure if I will replace cable or not, the Canare that came with it compliments well, and I hear more than a few people prefer over the newer silver cord. So we'll see!

@swspiers - cannot comment directly for myself as I have not tried any of the Schiits. However I have heard positive things with the parring. They mesh well, better than the Amp that HIfi Man makes even supposedly. The only complaint I've heard is lack of power on some of the models to drive the cans, but since you're looking at the Mjolnir, I don't think that's going to be a an issue! The complaints where more so toward the Lyr.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,839 of 1,933
I run my 5LE's off of several amps - a Hifiman EF5 (tube and opamp rolled) among them.

Headphone outputs out of vintage receivers always seem to work pretty well.  The latest Marantz 1060 I bought has to be turned up louder than I expected (about halfway) to get good volume, but most others are in the 9-10 o'clock region.

A really nice pairing was my Sansui QR-6500 capacitor coupled receiver.  Maybe it mellows things out a bit, but really nice synergy.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,840 of 1,933
Not surprising about the Sansui QR-6500 pairing well. It's been expressed many times that these HP have excellent synergy with a lot of stereo's from the 70's. Marantz is another known brand that pairs as well. Course the 70's produced some of the best audio products to this day, so I suppose this shouldn't be surprising at all. lol

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,843 of 1,933
Quote:
Congrats, NoEars! Sublime is an apt description I think. I've settled on the HE-5LE as my endgame setup :wink:

I wish I were that content!  I know they could be my endgame, but there are a lot of other models out there to experience.  And yes, I'm sorry for my own wallet...

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,844 of 1,933
Quote:

@swspiers - cannot comment directly for myself as I have not tried any of the Schiits. However I have heard positive things with the parring. They mesh well, better than the Amp that HIfi Man makes even supposedly. The only complaint I've heard is lack of power on some of the models to drive the cans, but since you're looking at the Mjolnir, I don't think that's going to be a an issue! The complaints where more so toward the Lyr.

Nope...  Not the EF-6.  The Schiit Mjolnir is a really good amp, But the EF-6 goes very well / better with the likes of the HE-6 and the HE-5LE..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back