New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Apr 29, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #436 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say yes.

awe to bad
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #437 of 1,933
I hope one of the reviewers of these new planar headphones will be able to compare them to the most recent Fostex T50RP. The Fostex headphones have really sold me on the clarity and detail offered by planar technology (if that is the correct terminology) so I find myself wondering if it will be worth the big bucks for the HifiMan over the Fostex? Likewise with the Audeze offering. (I also posted this in that thread just in case...)

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #439 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, I felt like vomiting when I was listening to "what a wonderful world" and my right driver blew out...
mad.gif
This is my 2nd pair now, first the wood break now the right driver! This is crazy, I really want me money back now... Just a question though, since the HE-5's are stopped, will they just repair it and ship the cans back to me? I was thinking maybe added some $ and getting the LE's, not sure if they would do that... Man, well back to the K701's which sound really good now lol... Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by schweinhund /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MikePio, Yeah you can upgrade. the wood cracked on mine and I paid for an upgrade to the LE. It was $100 plus the shipping.

Evidently not:

I decided to try and take advantage of this "exchange policy" today, and was promptly rebuffed (my failed HE-5s are four months old):

"This offer was an error on my part. I did not confer with Management before I made this offer.
The HE-5's can only be upgraded within a 30 day timeframe. Our Policy is if you purchase our HE-5 within 30 days, then you are valid for an upgrade from the HE-5 to the HE-5LE ."

frown.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #440 of 1,933
Yeah I got that same message in an email. Apparently it was a mix up and they honored it for me only because of it. I was going to post the bad news on here but you beat me to it. I can see why though, if everyone wanted to upgrade it might be end up costing them quite a bit. Sorry to get your hopes up for nothing.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #441 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope one of the reviewers of these new planar headphones will be able to compare them to the most recent Fostex T50RP. The Fostex headphones have really sold me on the clarity and detail offered by planar technology (if that is the correct terminology) so I find myself wondering if it will be worth the big bucks for the HifiMan over the Fostex? Likewise with the Audeze offering. (I also posted this in that thread just in case...)

If your Fostex are unmodified then there's no chance that they approach these headphones, if they're fully modded and well tuned then it's a more interesting question...

May 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #442 of 1,933
I just pulled the trigger on a set of HE-5LE's. I'll try them with my Phoenix. Then I think I'll try them driven by my Jadis Defy 7 driven from the pre-outs of my Phoenix. I can also drive them with my Exemplar Audio OTL/32 (Heavily modified ASL) EL84 OTL amp. The OTL/32 drives K1000 really well so I think that it might be a nice match to the HE-5LE, it even has a 4 pin XLR jack. In any case I have no shortage of amplifier choices.

Before deciding I read through this entire thread. To be honest you guys crack me up. Endless complaining about the wood, and now complaints about there not being wood. Then there's the complaints about Head-Direct's service (Which is exemplary). Unfortunately there seems to be a failure to realize the realities of production when an item is hand made or extremely low volume production. Do you think a Rolls Royce has fewer service issues than a Honda? How about a Ferrari? or Zonda? With high performance exclusivity there comes a price.

As far as buying from China goes, The HE-5 (and now hopefully the HE-5LE) is a sub $700 headphone that legitimately competes with products costing many times it's price. The only way this is possible is due to where it is being built. Do products from China have a higher rate of QC issues? I'd say yes, but that is one price you pay for the much lower production costs. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

For me the issue isn't whether there are issues with low volume products like the HE-5 (LE) and my Jades, the issue is whether Head-Direct adequately addresses any issues. I had a small issue with my Jades, and Head-Direct handled it well. The Jades are now my Electrostatic reference. Head-Direct gets a A++ rating from me, enough that I am more than confident ordering the HE-5LE from them.

May 1, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #443 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on a set of HE-5LE's. I'll try them with my Phoenix. Then I think I'll try them driven by my Jadis Defy 7 driven from the pre-outs of my Phoenix. I can also drive them with my Exemplar Audio OTL/32 (Heavily modified ASL) EL84 OTL amp. The OTL/32 drives K1000 really well so I think that it might be a nice match to the HE-5LE, it even has a 4 pin XLR jack. In any case I have no shortage of amplifier choices.

Before deciding I read through this entire thread. To be honest you guys crack me up. Endless complaining about the wood, and now complaints about there not being wood. Then there's the complaints about Head-Direct's service (Which is exemplary). Unfortunately there seems to be a failure to realize the realities of production when an item is hand made or extremely low volume production. Do you think a Rolls Royce has fewer service issues than a Honda? How about a Ferrari? or Zonda? With high performance exclusivity there comes a price.

As far as buying from China goes, The HE-5 (and now hopefully the HE-5LE) is a sub $700 headphone that legitimately competes with products costing many times it's price. The only way this is possible is due to where it is being built. Do products from China have a higher rate of QC issues? I'd say yes, but that is one price you pay for the much lower production costs. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

For me the issue isn't whether there are issues with low volume products like the HE-5 (LE) and my Jades, the issue is whether Head-Direct adequately addresses any issues. I had a small issue with my Jades, and Head-Direct handled it well. The Jades are now my Electrostatic reference. Head-Direct gets a A++ rating from me, enough that I am more than confident ordering the HE-5LE from them.

X2 Yikes, looking forward to your impressions......

May 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #444 of 1,933
this thread is making me want the HE-5LE

stupid upgraditis

May 1, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #445 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes HE-5LE pad does work on HE-5. I will start to sale HE-5LE pad in the next two or three weeks.

If I bought the HE-5LE during the pre-order will I get them with the HE-5 pads? I would rather wait and have them with the HE-5LE pads.

Thanks

May 1, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #447 of 1,933
Ah, OK. So the HE-5LE (even those from the pre-order) will all come with the new pads?

May 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #449 of 1,933

Users who are viewing this thread

Back