New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Apr 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #346 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone want to make bets if he ships on time today ?

I am hoping you will have these with time for burn in as well before the TPs get to you. I'd say 3 more weeks before they arrive at your door.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #347 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, I asked Ray Samuels that exact question (about specs going up over 20kHz) and his answer was simple. You feed a signal generator onto the input and take the measurement on the output until it disappears.

I guess it is what it is.

LOL. Yep, I guess you can't get a more simple answer could you? Ahh. That just makes me laugh. Good sense of humor.

Well, I certainly will be excited to see some reviews.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #349 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HE-5 loves the power and the smooth DHT sonic signature. I think almost everyone here underpowers these headphones. The EF-5 is a good place to start, but there's room to scale up. I treat it like a K-1000.

Frank, I noticed the 25 Ohm impedance of HE5/LE. Do you think a single-ended EL84 pentode at 5 wpc with 16 Ohm output tab will drive the HE5 LE well? I already have a K1000 4-Pin XLR installed on my tweaked Almarro A205a MkII but no longer own the K1000
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #352 of 1,933
Hello everyone, I felt like vomiting when I was listening to "what a wonderful world" and my right driver blew out...
mad.gif
This is my 2nd pair now, first the wood break now the right driver! This is crazy, I really want me money back now... Just a question though, since the HE-5's are stopped, will they just repair it and ship the cans back to me? I was thinking maybe added some $ and getting the LE's, not sure if they would do that... Man, well back to the K701's which sound really good now lol... Cheers,

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #353 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone, I felt like vomiting when I was listening to "what a wonderful world" and my right driver blew out...
mad.gif
This is my 2nd pair now, first the wood break now the right driver! This is crazy, I really want me money back now... Just a question though, since the HE-5's are stopped, will they just repair it and ship the cans back to me? I was thinking maybe added some $ and getting the LE's, not sure if they would do that... Man, well back to the K701's which sound really good now lol... Cheers,

you never know
smily_headphones1.gif
btw that sucks mine have taken so much abuse and have about 1k + hours

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #355 of 1,933
I think I am done with the HE-5's, not because I don't like the sound, but the quality is really poor. Maybe I got unlucky, but its crazy that a brand new headphone breaks within 3 months, and not only once! I am really considering the LCD-2 (American Made) which is really a plus, since I lost all interest in chinese products to be honest... Maybe even considering the T1's, either way we will see what happens, I have two headphones in my collection, AKG and Beyerdynamic and its been three year with no issues. Bottom line is that this experience has been a nightmare, and also cost me over 100 dollars extra for shipping fees etc... Well enough of my complaining, I just feel really frustrated! Cheers,

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #356 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mad.gif

Ortho drivers failing even in such small numbers (given the sample size of the HE-5s in the market) is so unusual. Ortho drivers are known for their resilience. Which is why VIntage orthos still command such hefty prices at times. The technology is such that they are built to last. No surround or cone to crumble or deteriorate, tear.

Curious, could you elaborate on the "driver blowing out" ?

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #357 of 1,933
Hey Sachu,

I was listening to my music, when all of a sudden the right driver cut out, almost as if the cable came loose and fell out. So I checked all my connections , the amp and the dac to make sure it wasn't a component in my set-up that was causing the problem. I also plugged in the K701 and DT 150, and all worked perfect, plugged the HE-5's back in and now there was some faint music in the right driver. Upon listening to them now, the right driver has now totally failed, producing no sound whatsoever. This baffles me, since its very odd that this would happen, and I have always taken perfect care of them. I am just so tired of dealing with these QC issues, I really hope they can give my money back, since I don't want anymore of their products... I know its harsh, but I have lost money and patience now, and I was very supportive of them even after the first issue, its just to far this time...

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #359 of 1,933
Not currently, but I will ask my friend to borrow his if he still has it. Do you think it could possibly be another problem? Either way I will ask him, and if he still has it, will post the findings.

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #360 of 1,933
If you can open the cups check check the driver with a multimeter and see if it reads its normal impedance. If it really failed that REALLY sucks and you are unlucky
frown.gif

Unless they corrode after many decades, ortho drivers can take a LOT more power than any dynamic and still survive, thats part of their design (massive current handling).

Well either way I hope HiFiMan sorts you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back