New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Aug 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #1,051 of 1,933
Well I now see it's possible. I have a balanced bijou and it sounded nice with my he-5s, but didn't have the juice to push them to the level I sometimes like to listen. I even had it listed forsale. Then I decided to try the regal mod and now this is no longer a problem. Now I'm in bliss with this combo. It's now the second best amp I've ever owned, and won't be going anywhere.

Aug 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,053 of 1,933
Quote:
I'll keep these headphone in mind for future references. One well regarded reference and one fun headphone, life gotta be easier than that, eh Reputator?
beerchug.gif
  So now i have to re-think, then de-think my thoughts on the WA2, then synchronize all those thoughts, throw them into the caldron, start from scratch and re-think about my previous thoughts about getting the transformer coupled WA6, then de-synchronize those thoughts and think about that OTL magic from the WA2 if i ever decide to stick with high impedance headphones.

c'mon head-fi.  Stop teasing me
frown.gif

Yeah it's pretty sweet. I'll be making things easy on myself and get a Meier Concerto. A SS amp that works with pretty much anything and I don't have to worry about tubes. It's a winner in my book.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #1,054 of 1,933
For those of you that have a WA2, if it's transformerless output, what's inside those two smaller transformer "boxes" on the chassis that flank the power transformer?

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,056 of 1,933
Aug 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #1,057 of 1,933

Quote:
Many people make the mistake of associating treble-happy phones as more detailed and resolving, and that simply isn't the case. 

Good point and quite generalizable to many threads on this forum.  I'm still surprised how much this pervades listening judgments. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #1,058 of 1,933
I just ordered a pair of these and I am really looking forward to finding out what orthodynamic headphones are all about. Now I need to do some research to find out what style of amplifier is best to drive these with. From the reading I've done so far, it sounds like these are quite power hungry.

I see another amp project in my future...

popcorn.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #1,059 of 1,933

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of these and I am really looking forward to finding out what orthodynamic headphones are all about. Now I need to do some research to find out what style of amplifier is best to drive these with. From the reading I've done so far, it sounds like these are quite power hungry.

I see another amp project in my future...

popcorn.gif

A nice hybrid amp will do it, like a CTH, Millett Hybrid, HiFiMan EF1 or EF5, or even better a Cavalli EHHA if you have a high budget.  I haven't tried them with a Cavalli SOHA or SOHA II or Stacker, but I can't see why they would not be adequate.  The Grahm Slee Solo SRG II and SAC KH1000 amp are a couple of good SS amps to pair with them.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #1,060 of 1,933
Yes, I will start with a Millet Max and a CTH since those are the two amps I know the best. That will give me a baseline of how they differ from my beyerdynamics. I'll be building the new version of the EHHA once boards are ready, so that may be a good fit. My current EHHA is waiting to be built as a dual purpose headphone/speaker amp, so I'll probably get the new one done first, since it is an all-on-one-board amp.

I was curious how these would do coupled with something like a parafeed amp?

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,062 of 1,933
Well I have to say that I'm really impressed with these headphones. They arrived yesterday, and I stayed up way too late listening  to vinyl. I'm really impressed straight out of the box. Not being familiar with orthodynamics, I'm not sure about burn in, and haven't searched this thread yet to see, but if they do improve, it'll mean that great will get even better. I've been leaving them running with iTunes when i'm not actively listening figuring no harm.

The bass is better than I thought it would be, and the staging and detail is amazing. I need time to let them break in, and listen enough to form an opinion, but my initial reaction is they are better than I hoped for.

They aren't as comfortable to wear as Beyers, but I like the fit better than my SR-404LE's.

Needless to say, I am quite pleased I got them. And now more excuses to build amps... 

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,063 of 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJo  
" I just ordered a pair of these and I am really looking forward to finding out what orthodynamic headphones are all about. Now I need to do some research to find out what style of amplifier is best to drive these with. From the reading I've done so far, it sounds like these are quite power hungry.
 I see another amp project in my future..."

I hooked the HE-5LE out of the speaker terminals from a 40 watt NAD integrated amp. It sounded terrific. It took all that power and made that planar sing.

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #1,064 of 1,933
^ Yes, I keep reading about people doing this. It made me think about going to a shop here that sells used stereo equipment and getting an old school amp to try this out with...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back