New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #46 of 1,933
I'm not liking my HE-5 much anymore. I find a very incohesive effect to the sound. Unmusical. I hear all the parts but they don't lock together, nothing gels. Like everything (voices, instruments) is lined up parallel but stays separated, have nothing to do with each other. Like a couple in a room who have just had a fight and you walk in and feel the tension. A cold, grey overall effect. This saddens me because I found them so delicate and detailed initially. But it seems like there's no soul there.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #47 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 60 Khz is to insure smooth highs in any high resolution format. BTW some mics go up to 40Khz.
wink.gif

My ear failed to hear anything noticeable beyodn 24k..

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #48 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't that level of treble extension be a detriment to the headphone, as it's drivers will have to expend energy producing sounds up to that frequency, energy that would be better spent in the nominal range of human hearing?

No

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #49 of 1,933
The wavelengths at that frequency are so small, the driver barely has to even move to create them.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #51 of 1,933
The HE-5's are bar none one of the most intimate and involving cans I have ever heard. It draws you into the music, injects life into it, not like the K701's or DT's which I keep in my collection, but don't listen too much anymore. I don't understand how some people say they are lifeless or lacking "soul", they are the complete opposite in my opinion. But I guess the components and personal taste also comes into the equation... The HE-5LE, sounds very interesting, and wonder how much different they will be from the original HE-5. Regardless, I am staying with my HE-5's for a long time, since I don't find them sibilant, or lacking bass, and I don't want to change something that is not broken... Cheers, look forward to peoples impressions...

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #52 of 1,933
I am baffled by some of the comments about the HE-5 being unmusical, or in-cohesive, etc. Mine clearly beat my HF-2, RS-1, and a friend's HP-1000 with equinox cable. The may even be a little better balanced in frequency response than my HD800, although without the HD800's wonderful soundstage. My HD600 are very musical but lack the micro-detail and speed of the HE-5 and HE800.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #53 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am baffled by some of the comments about the HE-5 being unmusical, or in-cohesive, etc. Mine clearly beat my HF-2, RS-1, and a friend's HP-1000 with equinox cable. The may even be a little better balanced in frequency response than my HD800, although without the HD800's wonderful soundstage. My HD600 are very musical but lack the micro-detail and speed of the HE-5 and HE800.

Completely agree.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #54 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Raise the overall quality of construction. If it doesn't look and feel as solid as the Beyer T1, I'm not interested. Anything over $200 better look and feel solid, no questions..

Isn't this a little unfair? I mean, the T1 costs $1000 and is made by a very highly regarded German company that has been in the business for decades. And, from what I've read, is highly regarded for its construction quality. Holding almost anything up to that standard is unfair. Just going by pictures, even the $1400 HD800 that costs twice as much as the HE-5LE doesn't hold up.

Comparing it to another wood headphone (since it's probably already been designed with wood in mind), I would expect it to surpass the RS1 and GS1000. That doesn't say much though because Grado construction generally reminds one of toothpicks and strong breezes (though I've had no problems thankfully).

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #55 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ear failed to hear anything noticeable beyodn 24k..

In this case maybe the Phonitor can help. I notice a clear differences between my Ultrasones PL-650 @ 10-25.000 Hz, and the K-702 @ 10-39,800 Hz. BTW the Phonitor go up to 200 Khz.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #56 of 1,933
The specs are identical to the HE-5, which makes me think the driver is still the same one, so, my guess is they have changed some stuff in the housing...no idea what though...will be interesting to see how this develops

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #57 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still prefer the RS-1 over the HE-5.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #58 of 1,933
I am LOL at you guys that think you can "hear" anything above 20kHz. Unless you have been to an actual audiologist who has tested this, I virtually guarantee that you cannot, unless you are part Bat.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #59 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The specs are identical to the HE-5, which makes me think the driver is still the same one, so, my guess is they have changed some stuff in the housing...no idea what though...will be interesting to see how this develops

It definitely seems to me like it is the same driver.especially considering the modest price increase. a newer driver would have probably surely meant a higher price for the new headphone. Could be they changed some things on the baffle, or damping or both or perhaps they do actually have an ace up their sleeve..if one finds its way to any of the orthoheads we can be assured to know what it is for sure
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am LOL at you guys that think you can "hear" anything above 20kHz. Unless you have been to an actual audiologist who has tested this, I virtually guarantee that you cannot, unless you are part Bat.

I don't think i can hear anything over 17k let alone over 20k
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #60 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Man, audiophiles are gonna have a field day with genetics once the field matures enough
biggrin.gif

Related: When people talk about hearing certain frequencies, do they mean at regular listening volume or high volume? Because at high volume I can hear about 19khz but at regular listening volume it drops to 17khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back