New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
May 29, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #227 of 2,616
Crowdfunding complicates things a bit, both with price and delivery time, June seems unlikely to me. At least they didn't start taking orders years before it's ready like some others, including one that I backed and regret. If they get this right and for sale under $300, they're going to make a killing.

May 29, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #230 of 2,616
Awesome! Thank you for the update.

This was mentioned once early on, but I have not heard anything more on it directly from
Hidizs.

Is it really still the plan? As mentioned, if it is the case, we can plan on not seeing the units in people's hands for quite some time.
Sourcing parts, machining, and setting up production just takes time. Even if the design has been truly finalized...
If they cannot afford to go to production now, it will take considerable time to get it going once money starts flowing in... that is if they even sell enough in crowdfunding to cover initial costs.
All pretty iffy, as many of these schemes often are.

I am still waiting for my Wave.. a few years later.

May 29, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #231 of 2,616
This was mentioned once early on, but I have not heard anything more on it directly from
Hidizs.

Is it really still the plan? As mentioned, if it is the case, we can plan on not seeing the units in people's hands for quite some time.
Sourcing parts, machining, and setting up production just takes time. Even if the design has been truly finalized...
If they cannot afford to go to production now, it will take considerable time to get it going once money starts flowing in... that is if they even sell enough in crowdfunding to cover initial costs.
All pretty iffy, as many of these schemes often are.

I am still waiting for my Wave.. a few years later.

The Hidizs site does not say anything about crowdfunding. They only say that pre-sale will start "Early June". It was "Late May" in April, so their schedule is slipping a bit. But as someone that's been through many startups and production glitches, I can understand some delays. Would rather see a delay, than them start selling a product with known issues... I don't equate pre-sale as crowdfunding. To me, Per-sale is offering first buyers a lower price to get the product into more users faster. Kind of a marketing technique... Anyway, unless there is some huge problem, I'm still expecting presale shipments to start in June.

Maybe @Hidizs will give us an update here ... :wink:

May 30, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #233 of 2,616
Hidizs did state they don't have the capital to bring this to production and it would need to be crowdfunded, and haven't said anything contrary to that since. I would consider pre-sale as crowdfunding, as it is used to generate capital for production, and you're paying for something that hasn't been produced yet. More and more companies are moving from Kickstarter or IGG to this model, cuts out the middle man. Pre-sale in June doesn't mean units will be shipped in June. Some people who did pre-orders with Trinity Audio, for example, waited many months and at least one of the products never did go to production. Not saying that will happen here, just trying to keep realistic expectations. Hidizs should be able to shed more light on this soon. I really hope this pans out, its groundbreaking at the price.

May 30, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #234 of 2,616
Hidizs did state they don't have the capital to bring this to production and it would need to be crowdfunded, and haven't said anything contrary to that since. I would consider pre-sale as crowdfunding, as it is used to generate capital for production, and you're paying for something that hasn't been produced yet. More and more companies are moving from Kickstarter or IGG to this model, cuts out the middle man. Pre-sale in June doesn't mean units will be shipped in June. Some people who did pre-orders with Trinity Audio, for example, waited many months and at least one of the products never did go to production. Not saying that will happen here, just trying to keep realistic expectations. Hidizs should be able to shed more light on this soon. I really hope this pans out, its groundbreaking at the price.

That's good to Know! Can you point me to a link about the crowdfunding ?

Yeh, I got stuck n the Trinity stuff. They lied about it being pre-sale and they did really mean crowdfunding. And canceled the IEM I ordered... Guess everyone does not use the same definition i do ...

May 30, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #235 of 2,616
Its earlier in this thread. their quote:

"Once the products from the trial manufacturing phase passes our strict quality reassurance tests of Hidizs AP200 we'll set a launch date. We plan to launch it through a crowdfunding campaign, as we don't have enough money to continue for the mass production. We'll confirm other details soon!"

What's really the difference between crowdfunding and pre-sale, other than not using a third party for the campaign.

I was following Trinity for a while when they first started and things were great, then stopped following and them and came back and saw what a disaster unfolded. I was stunned. I'm stuck in an IGG crowdfunding too.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #236 of 2,616
Its earlier in this thread. their quote:

"Once the products from the trial manufacturing phase passes our strict quality reassurance tests of Hidizs AP200 we'll set a launch date. We plan to launch it through a crowdfunding campaign, as we don't have enough money to continue for the mass production. We'll confirm other details soon!"

What's really the difference between crowdfunding and pre-sale?

Funny, I just went through this thread a second time... I only see that statement as a Quote from "Levanter", on April 18th; But don't see any such statement from Hidizs on this Thread, or elsewhere on the internet... Weird...

I have seen many electronics and phones for Pre-sale at Gearbest and other on-line vendors. It's usually a 10 to 20% discounted price, before they have the actual "phone"/Item in-stock. And usually ships within a month. So Production is already underway in my definition of Pre-sale. Crowdfunding (to me) means that you're looking for funds to start detailed design, and or production of the item. Obviously many folks have different definitions or are just "loose" with the definition...

May 30, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #237 of 2,616
Funny, I just went through this thread a second time... I only see that statement as a Quote from "Levanter", on April 18th; But don't see any such statement from Hidizs on this Thread, or elsewhere on the internet... Weird...

I have seen many electronics and phones for Pre-sale at Gearbest and other on-line vendors. It's usually a 10 to 20% discounted price, before they have the actual "phone"/Item in-stock. And usually ships within a month. So Production is already underway in my definition of Pre-sale. Crowdfunding (to me) means that you're looking for funds to start detailed design, and or production of the item. Obviously many folks have different definitions or are just "loose" with the definition...

I also couldn't find the original statement but it was there at one time and I remember reading it. Maybe they changed their sales plan and removed the statement, hopefully they will clarify for us. I guess your differentiation of pre-sale and crowdfunding makes sense, but I think there could be some overlap too. Given how recently this was announced and the amount of work needing to be done, I would think they have to be a fair amount of time from actual production. It definitely is a promising device.

May 30, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #238 of 2,616
I also couldn't find the original statement but it was there at one time and I remember reading it. Maybe they changed their sales plan and removed the statement, hopefully they will clarify for us. I guess your differentiation of pre-sale and crowdfunding makes sense, but I think there could be some overlap too. Given how recently this was announced and the amount of work needing to be done, I would think they have to be a fair amount of time from actual production. It definitely is a promising device.

Looks like you were right. Received this from HIDIZS Today:

"Thank you for your patience, We are working hard on optimize all the software and system, We will also shoot the video for AP200 this week, After everything is ready, We will release it on Kickstarter with exclusive discount."

So Hidizs' definition of "pre-sale" is really Crowdfunding on kickstarter...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back