NEW HiBy R4
May 24, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #691 of 1,046
On the right side of the R4 you have 4 buttons. You just need to use the top 2 on the right. This means just the power button and the button right below it which I think is the back button.

So this is the process.

Steps to go into recovery mode on the R4.

1.Turn off the device.
2.First hold the power button then right away press the button below it. You will see the Hiby logo and then the android robot laying down.
3.Release the 2 buttons.
4.Press the power button the button below it and then while still holding the power button release the button below it.

This will put you into the recovery menu.

Before doing all this you should download the updated zip file. (Do not unzip it) transfer it to an SD card and insert the SD card into the R4.

Then perform. The steps stated above to get I to recovery more. Once in recovery mode you can navigate with the button button along the right side of the R4. It just toggles down and loops back to the top of the list of you went to far when navigating. You press the power button to use as select for an option in the menu. Just navigate and select your zipped update file. It will apply the update. Then just choose reboot on the menu and it will allow you set the R4 up like new.

I would like to point out that prior to applying the update from the SD card you probably wipe back to factory then apply the update.
thank you so much, appreciated!

May 24, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #692 of 1,046
On the right side of the R4 you have 4 buttons. You just need to use the top 2 on the right. This means just the power button and the button right below it which I think is the back button.

So this is the process.

Steps to go into recovery mode on the R4.

1.Turn off the device.
2.First hold the power button then right away press the button below it. You will see the Hiby logo and then the android robot laying down.
3.Release the 2 buttons.
4.Press the power button the button below it and then while still holding the power button release the button below it.

This will put you into the recovery menu.

Before doing all this you should download the updated zip file. (Do not unzip it) transfer it to an SD card and insert the SD card into the R4.

Then perform. The steps stated above to get I to recovery more. Once in recovery mode you can navigate with the button button along the right side of the R4. It just toggles down and loops back to the top of the list of you went to far when navigating. You press the power button to use as select for an option in the menu. Just navigate and select your zipped update file. It will apply the update. Then just choose reboot on the menu and it will allow you set the R4 up like new.

I would like to point out that prior to applying the update from the SD card you probably wipe back to factory then apply the update.
I'm just taking note of this just in case my unit starts misbehaving. It's always good to have a backup plan.

May 24, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #693 of 1,046
I'm just taking note of this just in case my unit starts misbehaving. It's always good to have a backup plan.
Well I will say this. If you update your device no matter if it is a beta or normal update you will get the volume cap and gain cap. I believe you can disable it in dev options but I am not 100% sure if still has the issue where the head phone icon flashes. Maybe that part is a bug. I say all that to say that the original firmware is most likely to have those caps on them. So maybe you decide to stay on v1 firmware or if you do move forward you can always flash it back to v1 from a future update. I am just going to leave mine as is for a while. Works perfectly. Now I just have to set it back how I want it.

May 24, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #695 of 1,046
So a couple things as a newb to DAPs/Android as a whole. Are y’all using the native EQ or a third party app like Poweramp? Are you using the hiby music app and linking it with your streaming service or just using the streaming service app? Still loving my device.
Well this is what I do since I am a poweramp lover. I use poweramp as my primary music player I adjust my eq and gain via poweramp. I then download the wavelet app and add some fine tuning and gain via that app. Since I primarily use bluetooth the gain in the native hiby software doesn't apply. Now if I plug in my head phone with the 3.5 or 4.4 then I can apply gain via the os. The Hiby music app has its own eq and gain as well. So you have to find a balance that works for you. What u think you are geemting at is this. Trust me no matter if you play native files from the poweramp or hiby app you will have plenty of adjustments you can make to fine tune you sound. With streaming apps you can as well. I like the wavelet app because it gives me that extra fine tuning that does also apply to streaming apps. I used Spotify and it sounds fantastic.

May 24, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #696 of 1,046
Well this is what I do since I am a poweramp lover. I use poweramp as my primary music player I adjust my eq and gain via poweramp. I then download the wavelet app and add some fine tuning and gain via that app. Since I primarily use bluetooth the gain in the native hiby software doesn't apply. Now if I plug in my head phone with the 3.5 or 4.4 then I can apply gain via the os. The Hiby music app has its own eq and gain as well. So you have to find a balance that works for you. What u think you are geemting at is this. Trust me no matter if you play native files from the poweramp or hiby app you will have plenty of adjustments you can make to fine tune you sound. With streaming apps you can as well. I like the wavelet app because it gives me that extra fine tuning that does also apply to streaming apps. I used Spotify and it sounds fantastic.
I keep things simple. The R4 OS audio settings apply system-wide to any app regardless. I'm currently using the plug-ins, MSEB and PEQ. Hiby music app is sufficient enough for my needs.

May 24, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #697 of 1,046
Good job! What's the key combo sequence to press to do the firmware flashing? Please share the process, thanks.
You can flash that firmware from within Android?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 24, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #699 of 1,046
Let me stress that it is not bugs in the beta or release firmware people are experiencing.

1. the volume caps are mandated by EU, but can be bypassed via developer options, as pointed out before.
2. the flashing headphone icon did not occur in our testing, and still does not. The fault actually lies in a hardware variance between units. The 3.5mm headphone out is capable of responding to headset remotes, but this terminal (the one to be connected to the mic pole on TRRS headsets) on certain units are responding unexpectedly to the new firmware, which would have used signals from that terminal to aid in improving earphone insertion detection accuracy. It would have been worthy of being called a defect for units to be recalled for replacement, if not for the fact that the issue is not uncovered by v.1 firmware, there are other ways to detect headphone detection, and the issue does not affect actual use of inline remotes on headsets with such.

Now that we are aware of this unit variance, we shall source units demonstrating this issue with the new firmware and adapt further new firmware accordingly.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 24, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #700 of 1,046
Let me stress that it is not bugs in the beta or release firmware people are experiencing.

1. the volume caps are mandated by EU, but can be bypassed via developer options, as pointed out before.
2. the flashing headphone icon did not occur in our testing, and still does not. The fault actually lies in a hardware variance between units. The 3.5mm headphone out is capable of responding to headset remotes, but this terminal (the one to be connected to the mic pole on TRRS headsets) on certain units are responding unexpectedly to the new firmware, which would have used signals from that terminal to aid in improving earphone insertion detection accuracy. It would have been worthy of being called a defect for units to be recalled for replacement, if not for the fact that the issue is not uncovered by v.1 firmware, there are other ways to detect headphone detection, and the issue does not affect actual use of inline remotes on headsets with such.

Now that we are aware of this unit variance, we shall source units demonstrating this issue with the new firmware and adapt further new firmware accordingly.
So are you saying for this experiencing the head phone icon flashing when updating we have a variant of the 3.5 other than originally thought. So going forward will this variant be addressed in the firmware to not make the issue occur again or should we send the u to back to have it swapped out to avoid this in the future?

May 24, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #701 of 1,046
So are you saying for this experiencing the head phone icon flashing when updating we have a variant of the 3.5 other than originally thought. So going forward will this variant be addressed in the firmware to not make the issue occur again or should we send the u to back to have it swapped out to avoid this in the future?

May 24, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #702 of 1,046
I keep things simple. The R4 OS audio settings apply system-wide to any app regardless. I'm currently using the plug-ins, MSEB and PEQ. Hiby music app is sufficient enough for my needs.
Agreed, using another app to tweak EQ is like using a hammer to crack an egg, system wide bit perfect audio is awesome

May 24, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #703 of 1,046
You can flash that firmware from within Android?
Idk. I just got the process from @Angel77lopez. I have tried flashing roms before but not this one. However, I haven't observed any of the glitches that the other users have reported here as a result of the latest beta firmware so I'm inclined to just wait and see.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #704 of 1,046

Today, I discovered what was causing my device to overheat. It turns out that the culprit was the "Device Info HW" app, which monitors the device's temperature. Once I turned off the app, I stopped worrying about the temperature. Later, when I wanted to skip a track, I noticed that the device was cool to the touch. What a pleasant surprise!

May 24, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #705 of 1,046
I also noticed that but if you set the limit and charge it while the unit is on, the limit will take effect. If you are charging while it is off, that's when it goes past the limit. @Joe Bloggs it's a minor annoyance but it must be a bug?

I tried today to charge while my R4 was on with the limit set to 80% and it did still charge past 80.
I unplugged the charger at 84%, let the device sit for a while, and when I came back to it maybe 30 min later, it was at 90%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back