New Here... Best Over Ear Headphones for me for under $150?
Oct 5, 2011 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cjscott

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I'm new here and looking into getting my first pair of pretty nice headphones.  I've always just used cheap earbuds from Best Buy, but my friend showed me his Beats by Dre, and I was blown away.   Now from what I've read online, there's tons of better options for about half the price of Beats.  I am looking for suggestions of which headphones to get for under $150.  (I dont mind buying used if they're good quality)

A little about me:

-I am a college student and I want to use them as my everyday headphones - for listening to music on my computer, walking to class, and maybe even working out (if they'll stay on)
- I want something comfortable for me to wear for hours at a time
- I listen to just about any kind of music from Eminem to O.A.R. to Slightly Stoopid
- I definitely want over ear, but I don't know the difference between open back and closed back
- I am most concerned about sound quality and comfort

From my research, I've found that the Audio-Technica ATH-50 are very highly recommended, but is there any better quality for the price?  Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Oct 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 4
+1 For the Audio Technica M50's. I received my pair about a week ago, so far loving them, great for their value. As for the sound signature, the M50's are not a BASSY headphone that will shake your skull, but bass is present, midrange is slightly recessed, but its no deal breaker, treble is clear and fun sounding, but slightly shrill at times. It's a good headphone if you want, closed,isolated headphones, and you can wear them for hours at a time theyre extremely comfortable in my opinion, although as with all closed headphones there'll be sweat after prolonged hours. Another one that falls into the same league would be the Ultrasone HFI-580, well recommended for this price range as well i'd look into both. Theyre both around 150$, i happened to find a good deal on the M50's for 120$ and if you want i can send you the link.

Oh and difference between Open and Closed

-Closed back headphones usually are more isolating and tend to be more bassy, for people who use headphones on the go this would be the best option as there is little sound leakage on most of these Headphones. personally i prefer these kind of headphones. Good ones in your price range (M50-Hfi580)

Open Back-Usually Clearer,more focused on mids and highs, but not necissarily, sound leakage,- better for home use Good ones in your price range (id look into Grado Sr125i and the Audio Techinca AD700)

Dont value my thoughts too much as i am no professional and im actually quite new to this, and was in the same situation, best of luck to you.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 4
Here's one for you.. The Panasonic HTF600-S.. read my thread on them.. The secret is. These cost around $30-$40 but sound like $200 HP.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650/360#post_7804435  Go to the beginning of the thread and read Malveaux review on them.. You can buy a M50 and then buy one of these. I bet you.. you will end up liking these Panasonics better. No joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back