New headphones for 90ish CDN Dollars @ Futureshop
Jul 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Diabeetus

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm going to futureshop soon, and I wanna get new headphones, and the Skullcandy GI headphones are on sale for 50$ opposed to 80$ so I was about to buy those, but what do you guys think I should buy? I need just all around good headphones, nott a boomer, but a relativley decent bass response and good highs.
Thanks for ANY help.
Being durable would help, because I might like to go to sleep with them on, if thats possible.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 9
The Shure SRH-240 are better than that, and if you can stretch your budget some the SRH-440 and DJ-750 are significantly better than the 240s. (if they are still for sale)

If you're not forced to go to Future Shop for some reason, you could also pay your local Long & Mcquade a visit, which has some of the best headphone pricing in Canada.  The AKG K81DJ would be in your price range, as well as some other DJ-focused headphones in a similar price range.

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been looking at some of the L&M stuff too. Decent price for the K81DJ (all the AKGs are on sale actually), and the Beyer pro line. Sorta tempted by the Fostex T50RP as well...

Jul 3, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
The Shure SRH-240 are better than that, and if you can stretch your budget some the SRH-440 and DJ-750 are significantly better than the 240s. (if they are still for sale)

the DJ-750's are great headphones. Good isolation and great sound for general purpose.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Hmmm, well, I'm primarly paying w/ gift cards to our mall, that futureshop is part of, so I can easily get 100$ headphones, so getting headphones from other places will be quite pricey. So the skullcandys are that bad?

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Is this an experienced member being a troll, or did someone really say that they were interested in buying Skullcandy?  I just went to Futureshop's website, could you have any worse selection of headphones?  You have to wade through the muck to find anything decent.  The PX100 are good there.  I would maybe trust headphones on that site from Sennheiser, Shure, Pioneer and JVC. I don't see any Sony that I like there.  I can personally vouch for the PX100 as decent intro-level headphones. 

I would agree with the posters above me, go to the other shop with a better selection.  Your money will go further, it looks like they are charging $150-$200 for studio-level headphones, while Futureshop has basic $35 headphones marked up to $99.  It seems to be a 5 times better investment to try out Long & McQuade.  I just looked at their website, clicking on "products on special."  You can maybe test out headphones there? It looks like a shop we have here called Guitar Center.  If s,o then see if you like the K77 or K99.  They are good enough, I have tried them.  But, in my opinion, if you can stretch your budget, the K141 MK II will be a headphone that will stay in your collection for life.  Incredible entry level, but good enough performance to stick around forever.  My girlfriend is actually sitting next to me listening to the new Gorillaz album on my K240 (over-ear instead of the K141 on-ear, other than that I feel it is the same headphone).  I didn't see the K81DJ there, but if they have them on sale, get them instead as the above two people said.  You will very happy with their performance, and they should be much cheaper.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

If you're not forced to go to Future Shop for some reason, you could also pay your local Long & Mcquade a visit, which has some of the best headphone pricing in Canada.  The AKG K81DJ would be in your price range, as well as some other DJ-focused headphones in a similar price range.

this or buy a  ATHM50 which is bang for the buck.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Too bad you missed the Futureshop sale on the Shure 750 DJs a couple weeks ago. Right now, the Shure SRH 240 are a decent buy, but the 440 and 840 both have markup. Or use the gift cards on a Monster headphone, then sell them and use the money for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back