New headphones, DAC, or amp?
Jan 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
Current setup Senn HD 650, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Matrix M-Stage

Sounds great, though as usual want more.

Considered the AKG Q701 to try a different sound?  Maybe Grado SR325i?  (When I auditioned the 325i they were fresh out of the box and really lacked any low end.  I'm going to assume this is from lack of burn in though maybe compared to my HD650s they are just bass light by nature...?)

Or perhaps a new DAC or amp?  Looked at the Peachtree lineup, as well as the Arcam rDAC, though the rDAC seems to get comparable reviews to the V-DAC, so maybe that's just a wash? 

Anywho, enough of my rambling and '?' marks---what do you think?  All opinions welcomed.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 14
You might find the 701 very light in the bass compared to the 650....and kind of thin and bright. They're probably very different animals. Great detail and separation though, but it seems like they're very polarizing....people either love them or hate them, not too much middle ground. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
You might find the 701 very light in the bass compared to the 650....and kind of thin and bright. They're probably very different animals. Great detail and separation though, but it seems like they're very polarizing....people either love them or hate them, not too much middle ground. 

You know, ultimately what I'm looking for is a bit brighter, more analytic sound.  While I don't think the 650s suffer from a veil, at least to the extent some people claim they do, I still want something a bit more aggressive.  Compared, to say, a folded tweeter from Martin Logan......that's what I'm looking for.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 14
Never heard the 650, but the 702 is a very different animal than the hd580. It's totally an individual/subjective thing which one a person will prefer. I guess it depends a lot on the genres you listen to. I didn't like the 702 at all with rock...they're much better with acoustic jazz.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Headphones are certainly going to make the biggest immediate difference.

How about something closed? 

Also, with your pc as a source, have you considered some kind of DSP?  For many of us, something like Toneboosters Isone immediately gives us much of what we spent a ton of money trying to get (yet is never really possible) from hardware changes alone.  Would I rather listen to my D7000's/GS-1 without Isone, or my Corda Move and my 7506's with Isone?  That'd actually be a tougher call than one might think...

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 14
I love my HD650, you may wish to try the DT880/990 from Beyer if you like the way HD650 sound. For a touch of luxury, go T1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Current setup Senn HD 650, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Matrix M-Stage

Sounds great, though as usual want more.

Considered the AKG Q701 to try a different sound?  Maybe Grado SR325i?  (When I auditioned the 325i they were fresh out of the box and really lacked any low end.  I'm going to assume this is from lack of burn in though maybe compared to my HD650s they are just bass light by nature...?)

Or perhaps a new DAC or amp?  Looked at the Peachtree lineup, as well as the Arcam rDAC, though the rDAC seems to get comparable reviews to the V-DAC, so maybe that's just a wash? 

Anywho, enough of my rambling and '?' marks---what do you think?  All opinions welcomed.

If you go with AKG, go K702, replacable cable is priceless. Unless you have a specific color preference or a need for bass (which you can get from HD650), go K702. Your DAC and amp are pretty good for their price point. I'd stay with them until you have dough for a series upgrade or if you dislike their sound signature.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
If you go with AKG, go K702, replacable cable is priceless. Unless you have a specific color preference or a need for bass (which you can get from HD650), go K702. Your DAC and amp are pretty good for their price point. I'd stay with them until you have dough for a series upgrade or if you dislike their sound signature.

Let's say I do have dough for an upgrade, what would be next? 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 14
I'd go for the headphones next. The sr325i's i think is a good option, if you're looking for bright and analytic phones.  

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 14
Yeah, another pair of headphones next. The Beyer series is excellent (though there are other aggressive alternatives), if you're looking for analytical there, probably go for the 880's.

I've owned the 702's, and to be honest I really liked them. BUT. They are not good all rounders! I think they would make a nice complement to your 650's though, since I felt the 702's excelled in light, airy feeling songs (for example, I loved them with Toad the Wet Sprocket "Fly To Heaven"). Since the 650's are (from what I've been reading), very warm, bassy cans, I think you would find the 702's refreshing. Sure, they don't have DAT MONSTAR BASS, but they provide the bass when needed. 

Just don't expect electronica to sound like you may be used to. These reveal so much, it felt weird listening to very detailed trance music lol

Also if you want a new amp (for your 650's, and the 880's if you get them), try building a Bottlehead Crack. I absolutely love mine, and the price is excellent, and has upgrade options for when you get bored :p

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Let's say I do have dough for an upgrade, what would be next? 

I'm subjective on this but as far as a clean sound goes (maybe to balance out the HD650 a bit?). All you need is a Benchmark DAC1, save the amp money for different headphones. If you don't need the USB version, they can be found used for as low as $600-650 which for their sound is nothing short of a STEAL. If you like a analogue sound, go for the Rega DAC, only 16/48 USB input though. Another recommendation is the Burson HA-160 or DS or the preamp/HA/DAC, They go amazing with the K70x series and just about everything else.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Why not save up and go for hd800?

analytical, it's an upgrade, and very detailed.

Your set up is already very good. You won't get anything out, if you are side-grading.

I like your thinking sir!!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back