New headphones. Considering amp/DAC for it (Noob alert)
Jun 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Daskful

New Head-Fier
Just got myself a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro today. I've never owned any set of headphones except gaming ones. I'm using a Razer Megalodon right now, merely because I have nothing to drive the DT 990. I do have a Sound Blaster Zx coming on the mail, though (but this is obviously for another thread).

I want to setup a desktop DAC/Amp setup. I'm probably not ready to invest on costly gears, so anything entry level will do for. And, I also want to invest on portability.

Musical preference: Daft Punk, Orka Veer, Deadmau5, Explosions in the Sky, kind of music. Other times, classic rock, some country songs, alternative rock, jazz, R&B, Hip-Hop, acoustics, classical pianos.. honestly a lot of about anything is within my my preference. I do enjoy my bass, though.

Budget: ~$250(?)

What I thought about so far:

I want to get a FiiO E9K. Pair it up with Schiit's Modi DAC. And a FiiO E7K or E17 for mobile purposes with my Galaxy S3. Is the combination weird? Or will that even work at all?

Optional:
How will connecting the E9K to the Sound Blaster Zx work out? Will that even work?

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Just got myself a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro today. I've never owned any set of headphones except gaming ones. I'm using a Razer Megalodon right now, merely because I have nothing to drive the DT 990. I do have a Sound Blaster Zx coming on the mail, though (but this is obviously for another thread).

I want to setup a desktop DAC/Amp setup. I'm probably not ready to invest on costly gears, so anything entry level will do for. And, I also want to invest on portability.

Musical preference: Daft Punk, Orka Veer, Deadmau5, Explosions in the Sky, kind of music. Other times, classic rock, some country songs, alternative rock, jazz, R&B, Hip-Hop, acoustics, classical pianos.. honestly a lot of about anything is within my my preference. I do enjoy my bass, though.

Budget: ~$250(?)

What I thought about so far:

I want to get a FiiO E9K. Pair it up with Schiit's Modi DAC. And a FiiO E7K or E17 for mobile purposes with my Galaxy S3. Is the combination weird? Or will that even work at all?

Optional:
How will connecting the E9K to the Sound Blaster Zx work out? Will that even work?

Ok, which version of the DT990, 80, 250, 600 Ohm?

The Spundblaster seems to have a quite ok DAC from Cirrus Logic. So you can connect your amp E09K ( or Schiit Asgard2 I would recommend) via 3.5mm to RCA.

I would spend the $250 for the Asgard2 or for the Magni, Modi stack from Schiit for the desktop. The DT990 are hardly portable, are you sure you want open back portables that size?

If you go for the Magni, Modi, you have $50 to spare for a mobile amp like the Fiio E11.

If you are buying the E09K, I would not buy the Modi when you buy a E07K or E17 as both of these can be docked with your E09K and use their DAC when used at the desktop.

So maybe the E09K docked with the E17 connected via USB functions as sound card/DAC/Amp and fits your budget. When leaving your desktop you simply take the E17 out of the built in dock of the E9.

Cheers,
K

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Ok, which version of the DT990, 80, 250, 600 Ohm?

The Spundblaster seems to have a quite ok DAC from Cirrus Logic. So you can connect your amp E09K ( or Schiit Asgard2 I would recommend) via 3.5mm to RCA.

I would spend the $250 for the Asgard2 or for the Magni, Modi stack from Schiit for the desktop. The DT990 are hardly portable, are you sure you want open back portables that size?

If you go for the Magni, Modi, you have $50 to spare for a mobile amp like the Fiio E11.

If you are buying the E09K, I would not buy the Modi when you buy a E07K or E17 as both of these can be docked with your E09K and use their DAC when used at the desktop.

So maybe the E09K docked with the E17 connected via USB functions as sound card/DAC/Amp and fits your budget. When leaving your desktop you simply take the E17 out of the built in dock of the E9.

Cheers,
K

Thanks for replying!

Sorry if I was vague. I have the DT 990 Pro, 250ohm. Are you suggesting that if I buy the Asgard 2 from Schiit, I won't need another DAC but the Sound Blaster Zx? If not, then what DAC would you recommend for the Asgard 2?

The Sound Blaster I ordered will not be arriving until Monday. If I can enjoy powering the DT 990 with it, then I'll hold back on buying the Magni/Modi stack and save up a bit more for a DAC that will go well with the Asgard 2. I can always get a portable amp/DAC at a later time.

And no, I do not plan on using the DT 990 as my portable headphones. I plan to buy portable headphones in the short future, perhaps before school resumes. The DT 990 is my first set of headphones that holds  respectable review as one of the higher end pairs one can buy. The only headphone I had before this was a Razer Megalodon gaming headphone. Expect me to join this hobby!

Thanks again for your input.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Yes I think the sound blaster might be just fine as a DAC for the start. The DT990 benefits more from an amp than from a DAC At that stage. Especially if you already have a good DAC in your PC. So the Asgard would be a great addition for a start. You won't regret it.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 9
You mentioned getting a Modi; how about a Magni/Modi stack? I didn't have the DT990 when I had the baby Schiits, but it seems like they would be a good combo. 
Quote:
Yes I think the sound blaster might be just fine as a DAC for the start. The DT990 benefits more from an amp than from a DAC At that stage. Especially if you already have a good DAC in your PC. So the Asgard would be a great addition for a start. You won't regret it.

This is also a good idea.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Okay, I guess I have some decision making to do.

For a starter like me, it seems to make a lot more sense to go with the M&M stack and slowly adapt to better ones in the future. In the other hand, the Sound Blaster + Asgard 2 will also work. I have no experience with amp/DAC at all, haha.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Okay, I guess I have some decision making to do.

For a starter like me, it seems to make a lot more sense to go with the M&M stack and slowly adapt to better ones in the future. In the other hand, the Sound Blaster + Asgard 2 will also work. I have no experience with amp/DAC at all, haha.

No worries, we all started like that.

However before getting too much into the gearhead things and updateritis just buy something and start listening to MUSIC :wink:

After all, we don't listen to Amps and DACs but to music :wink: 

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
No worries, we all started like that.

However before getting too much into the gearhead things and updateritis just buy something and start listening to MUSIC :wink:

After all, we don't listen to Amps and DACs but to music :wink: 

I've actually been a fan of music all my life, actually. My dad prefers speakers (which raises his ire should anyone touch dare them) over headphones and he have quite the collection of classic rock albums I grew up listening to. I've started ripping some of the albums I've liked in lossless format and amassing my own collection and store them in my PC. When it comes to updateritis however, I'm more of a PC gaming builder with serious case of updateritis. I finished my build a few weeks ago and have the PC of my dreams (that I could afford), and now I yearn for my audio gearing. I supposed you're right, I mean, I did start with cheaper PC parts before going after much serious components. After all, it's possible that we can only understand the value of expensive things if we play around with the lesser priced ones.

I'll just take your advice thus far and see through it that the Sound Blaster will serve as a DAC for the time being. I really wish I could blow the entire budget on one single item, haha. I think I'm just not as confident yet with what I'm getting into. And with that said, the Schiit Magni route to go with the Sound Blaster will be my first step. After that, I'll get the Modi in the foreseeable future.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Enjoy. And as a fellow headfier uses to say: sorry for your wallet.

The head-fi audio world is full of update and upgrade possibilities. And so many things to explore. And there is always something better available somewhere. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back