New Headphones\ Amp
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pyr0AWLB

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Hi Everyone,[/size]

[size=10pt]I have returned my Denon AH-D600 Headphones and I need a decent portable amplifier to drive them and some new headphones.[/size]
[size=10pt]I will be listening mostly to dubstep, However I listen to everything from 70s, 80s, 90s, and Rap\Hip-hop for 2000-2013 so it’s a wide range.
I would consider myself an audiophile and want to get the highest quality available for the price also...[/size]

[size=10pt]Regarding the amp, I have been looking at the Fiio E12 for an amplifier but what is troubling be is that the frequency response is listed as 20 - 20,000Hz[/size]
[size=10pt]Does that mean it will remove anything <20Hz? This will be a problem as dubstep can go as low as 14-16Hz[/size]

[size=10pt]Can anyone recommend a better <$1000 set of headphones for dubstep (low bass)?[/size]
[size=10pt]Or should I just stick with me Denon AH-D600[/size]

[size=10pt]I also need a <$200 portable headphone amplifier that will preferably double as a USB DAC.[/size]
[size=10pt]I want to use it to plug into my iPad 3 and iPhone 5. (they both have different connectors) so I don’t mind connecting via analogue but would prefer if it has a USB input so I can use either cable or also plug into PC.[/size]

[size=10pt]Your help is much appreciated.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks[/size]

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 5
A Fiio E17 DAC/Amp comes with USB, optical, coaxial and analog inputs.
So you can connect it to just about anything.

Have no idea on a headphone for you, for the $1000 price.
Way more then I would have ever spend (or have spent so far?) on a headphone.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Human hearing has a threshold on 20 Hz, which is misleading.  Very few people can 'hear' anything below 30 Hz, as a good portion of that lower octave is felt through the skin more than processed via the ears.

The brain is a weird thing.  What it actually does in most cases with a sub- 30Hz sound wave is present the 2nd harmonic in such a way that we perceive it to be 30 Hz.  In other words, our audio cortex fills in the blank.

If you want, you can save yourself some cash and find something that has a bump from 30 to 60 Hz, and you will be in dubstep heaven.  I've never heard the Denon, but I'm pretty sure they are pretty darn near what you're looking for!

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 5
OK so I have been looking around, Changing my price to $500 due to budget cuts.

I have been reading around a lot and I think what I am looking for is the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm with a Fiio E7.

The headphones seem to speak for themselves.. and I can get them for less then the Denon AH-D600
http://www.head-fi.org/t/548535/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-80-ohm-appreciation-thread

Would anyone care to share any experiences?
I have head "Mids, What Mids?"

Any suggestions?

I am also considering Denon AH-D2000, Denon D5000, or BeyerDynamic DT880 Pro..

But the problem is I just cant demo them ANYWHERE.
so I have to spend 100's of $$$ and be 100% sure.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
OK so I have been looking around, Changing my price to $500 due to budget cuts.

I have been reading around a lot and I think what I am looking for is the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm with a Fiio E7.

The headphones seem to speak for themselves.. and I can get them for less then the Denon AH-D600
http://www.head-fi.org/t/548535/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-80-ohm-appreciation-thread

Would anyone care to share any experiences?
I have head "Mids, What Mids?"

Any suggestions?

I am also considering Denon AH-D2000, Denon D5000, or BeyerDynamic DT880 Pro..

But the problem is I just cant demo them ANYWHERE.
so I have to spend 100's of $$$ and be 100% sure.

The Beyer DT770, Denon D2000 and D5000 are closed cans. The Beyer DT880 is open. You will get more bass with the closed cans than open. The D2000 and D5000 are discontinued but can be found on the used market obviously. The Denons are pretty popular so if you do find a pair and decided they're not for you they're pretty easy to sell. Don't think you could get a D5000 and an amp for $500 though. Check the Basshead Club thread for plenty of good suggestions for other "bassy" cans.http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club

Users who are viewing this thread

Back