New headphone suggestions.
Jun 15, 2010 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

HoldYrPistlStr8

Head-Fier
Ok, I have my JVC HA-RX900s, which I love, but are a bit messed up from all the times I've dropped them (
redface.gif
). So I'm in the market for new headphones.

BUDGET: $100-200, keep it as low as possible, I still need money left over for a new computer.

Tastes & Uses:
I like electronic stuff, like Ratatat, Joker, WhiskerTwister, and edIT, but I also like indie, like WHY?, Brand New, The Postal Service (technically not indie, but yeah), and Portugal. The Man. The electronic stuff I like is very bass heavy, but the indie is mid and high centered.

I game a little on the PC, but not too seriously. My Xbox, however, is a different story.... So yeah, I'd like these headphones to be preferably decent, if not great for gaming.

I've been looking at AD700s for a while, and although I know they are very accurate, they're not a "fun" headphone, according to most people. Is there a good alternative?

Also, I'd like this to be more for music than gaming, music being 70-80%, gaming being 20-30%.

Thank you in advance. If there's anything else you need to know, ask.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 32
I'm going to say you should read up on the Shure 440s and the Audio Technica M50s. Both phones in the low 100 range that will do great with your genres. There are probably others but you should definitely give these two some consideration. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 32
Double on both of Young Spade's suggestions.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 32
Naugh they've been around for a while now but they're just.... really good for their price. Nice punchy bass with great detail. Of course I have to add that I haven't heard them yet but they get a TON of positive reviews. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
Naugh they've been around for a while now but they're just.... really good for their price. Nice punchy bass with great detail. Of course I have to add that I haven't heard them yet but they get a TON of positive reviews. 

Yeah, that's pretty much it... 

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 32

Quote:

M50s are great, but I personally think the Shure SRH840 is better in almost every way except the low bass (especially in the highs). My guitar center has the 440, 840, and the M50; if you have access to one, see if you can't check their inventory and try it out.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 32
^I agree, I was just trying to keep the price low; hence my not recommending the 880s. But yea if you wanna shell out the money for those; more power to you :)

They benefit from amplication as well so if you give them enough power, they'll sound even better. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
M50s are great, but I personally think the Shure SRH840 is better in almost every way except the low bass (especially in the highs). 

SRH840? They are Detailed and the bass is balanced...

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
^I agree, I was just trying to keep the price low; hence my not recommending the 880s. But yea if you wanna shell out the money for those; more power to you :)

They benefit from amplification as well so if you give them enough power, they'll sound even better. 

Quote:
M50s are great, but I personally think the Shure SRH840 is better in almost every way except the low bass (especially in the highs). My guitar center has the 440, 840, and the M50; if you have access to one, see if you can't check their inventory and try it out.

Sounds good, Aflac, the only thing is that the only decent guitar center around here is miles away :frowning2: I'll look into those two.

@ Young Spade, you meant the 840s, right? I have a Musiland Monitor 02 DAC, doesn't that have an amp built in? Would that be sufficient enough to power the SRH840?

Also, is there a significant difference between the SRH440 and SRH840? Do they have a decent soundstage?

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Yeh, I know they've been around for a while, but it wasnt until the last couple of months that I'd started to see the constant stream of recommendations for them.

I think there was a price drop (?)

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 32
So it's between the M50 and SRH840, I guess.

Which has the larger soundstage? I assume the M50 would, but would that alone make it worth it over the SRH840?

Although I'm going to mainly use it for music, I having my gaming binges as well.
deadhorse.gif
<- wat

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 32

Quote:

Sounds good, Aflac, the only thing is that the only decent guitar center around here is miles away :frowning2: I'll look into those two.

@ Young Spade, you meant the 840s, right? I have a Musiland Monitor 02 DAC, doesn't that have an amp built in? Would that be sufficient enough to power the SRH840?

Also, is there a significant difference between the SRH440 and SRH840? Do they have a decent soundstage?

Lol yea I meant the 840s; too much reading about the K702/DT880/600/650s lol. But yea significant difference? You should definitely search these phones in the thread and see how big of a difference they are. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back