New headphone suggestions please
Jan 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bucket indeed

New Head-Fier
Presently I have a pair of HD201's, and I love the amount of detail I got for my $16.  Last week I tried a friends new Steelseries Siberia V2's, and was surprised about what I thought.  I didn't like the relative lack of detail, but I actually enjoyed the wider soundstage (headstage?), loved the deeper, silkier bass, and the fit was pretty outstanding.  So that got me thinking that I might be able to find cans that better suit my tastes.

I'm in between the Bassheads and the Fun club.  I listen to dubsteb, so bass is good.  I also listen to rock like Chevelle, with the double bass, so it needs to be pretty tight.  The HD201's are kind of in-your-face everywhere, and when listening to some dubstep and stuff like Staind (14 Shades of Grey) the top end can be fatiguing (so I'm not fully in the fun club).  I liked the wider soundstage of the Siberia's, but I'm not willing to give up all the detail; a bit of balance here would be good.  Finally, I'm a value person, and I'm not remotely afraid of getting my hands dirty with mods.  In fact, I encourage it.

From what I've read, it seems the Panasonic RP-HTF600 and Creative Aurvana Live! seem to fit the bill (more so the CAL's), but I'd like your recommendations as well.  Thanks for reading!

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Budget?

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 5
We'll say less than $100, but value is important.  If you have really good reason to say more, I'll listen.

Crap, I forgot to mention that I'll listen mostly at my pc (xonar dg), so higher end stuff is probably wasted.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
 Finally, I'm a value person, and I'm not remotely afraid of getting my hands dirty with mods.  In fact, I encourage it.

Quote:
We'll say less than $100, but value is important.  If you have really good reason to say more, I'll listen.

Crap, I forgot to mention that I'll listen mostly at my pc (xonar dg), so higher end stuff is probably wasted.

Get yourself a Fostex T50RP and review the extensive modding threads on how to turn it into a killer headphone.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back