New Headphone Settings Help!
Jul 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

korky

Head-Fier
Hi Guys.

I just recieved my new pair of AKG Q701's and was just wondering what settings would give me the best audio.

Im using a Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound card, and there are a few options in the Asus audio centre that im unsure about.

First of all, here is a sc of the audio centre

So the settings im unsure about are:

how many audio channels i should have selected. I assume it should be 2 (hence headphones) but for some reason the audio sounds more lively when i have 8 channels selected (although the audio centre says this is mainly for 3D gaming).

What settings the Sample Rate should be on (currently 96 KHz, but there is option for 44.1, 48 and 192 KHz also)

Analog Out is set to Headphone, but there is also an option for FP Headphone?

And finally should i enable PCM and 7.1 Virtual Speaker shifter on the SPDIF Out? (note when i enable PCM it also gives me a choice of PCM or Dolby Digital Live).

I want the optimum settings for gaming so would you guys have any suggestions? Or are there any other settings i need to worry about? Sorry if it sounds like basic questions but this is the first time ive had a sound card so i just want to make sure im getting the best i possibly can!

Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

I just received my new pair of AKG Q701's and was just wondering what settings would give me the best audio.

Im using a Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound card, and there are a few options in the Asus audio center that I'm unsure about.

First of all, here is a sc of the audio centre

So the settings I'm unsure about are:

how many audio channels i should have selected. I assume it should be 2 (hence headphones) but for some reason the audio sounds more lively when i have 8 channels selected (although the audio centre says this is mainly for 3D gaming).

What settings the Sample Rate should be on (currently 96 KHz, but there is option for 44.1, 48 and 192 KHz also)

Analog Out is set to Headphone, but there is also an option for FP Headphone?

And finally should i enable PCM and 7.1 Virtual Speaker shifter on the SPDIF Out? (note when i enable PCM it also gives me a choice of PCM or Dolby Digital Live).

I want the optimum settings for gaming so would you guys have any suggestions? Or are there any other settings i need to worry about? Sorry if it sounds like basic questions but this is the first time ive had a sound card so i just want to make sure im getting the best i possibly can!

Audio Channels, use 8-channel for gaming and Blu-ray movies, DVD movies 6 or 8 channel, music 2-channel,
but if music sounds better with 8-channel, then use 8-channel for music.
Sample rate, I just usually leave it at 96khz, for Blu-ray movies use 192khz, 44.1 is good enough for normal music.
The FP Headphone is "Front Panel" headphone. I'm assuming your computer case's front panel is connect to the internal audio connecter on the STX?
I myself leave the 7.1 Virtual speaker Shifter unchecked.
The S/PDIF Out is only used if you have optical or coaxial connected to the sound card,
It has two setting, (leave unchecked unless your using it)
PCM is simple 2-channel output thru the S/PDIF (coaxial or optical)
DDL, Dolby Digital Live, is up to 7-channel (6.1) of compressed audio sent thru the S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), requires something at the end of the optical or coaxial to uncompress the DDL audio.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 6

Here you go, my friend. This is my Realtek AKG Q701 setup. I have spent hours tuning it to perfection. My Q's sound absolutely stunning. Check it out.

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 6
HOLY CRAP!  biggbenn74 just saved me hours more of trying to find the right sound for my Q701's.  I have been looking for these phones to reproduce the same sound my home theater speakers do when listening to music and I finally have the kick and clarity and don't feel like they are as headphoney in sound if that makes sense.  VERY good EQ settings bro.
Quote:

Here you go, my friend. This is my Realtek AKG Q701 setup. I have spent hours tuning it to perfection. My Q's sound absolutely stunning. Check it out.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 6
There is a huge thread about the stx card.

To sum it up: 48, 2 channel, hifi selected. That way the EQ is also bypassed. That posted EQ setting probably sound fun (hence why it looks like a smiley face) but hardly hifi/flat.

If you like it, enjoy it. Whatever sound good to you man, have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back