New Headphone Recommendations
Apr 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Khuz360

New Head-Fier

Hey everybody. So I'm looking at getting some new headphones.  At the moment I'm considering either the Bose OE or the AKG 460.  Although I want headphones that sound awesome its more important that they look good as well because I will be using them when walking around in public so I dont want something ugly on my head lol.  What would you guys recommend??

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 15
Here are some suggestions for ya:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD448, HD25-1

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-780

Would I be correct in assuming that you will not be using an ampifier with your headphones?

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 15
Although I want headphones that sound awesome its more important that they look good as well because I will be using them when walking around in public so I dont want something ugly on my head

Wow.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
 Although I want headphones that sound awesome its more important that they look good as well because I will be using them when walking around in public so I dont want something ugly on my head lol.  

Then I present to you..

Skullcandy TI headphones-- when nothing's more important than walking down your street looking like a gaudy millionare.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 15
Beats by dre
atsmile.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
  Although I want headphones that sound awesome its more important that they look good as well because I will be using them when walking around in public so I dont want something ugly on my head lol.

God I hope this is just another troll tread since we seem to be getting a lot of those recently. I'm not trying to break your balls or anything but if you care more about looks than quality then you probably shouldn't be here on Head-Fi otherwise you need to man up and not care what other people think. If those people are that petty to call you out on your headphones then in all honesty why should you care what they think?

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 15
This is not a troll thread.  Apologies for starting a new thread I didnt realise there was one dedicated to this particular subject.  Those skull candy headphones are horrible.  I dont want to walk down the street with headphones that scream "oooohhhhh love me love me I have big flashy headphones"   When I say look good I mean I want ones that are subtle hence my choices in the Bose OE and the AKG Q460.  I intend to use these headphones for everyday use which will range from laptop use to ipod and what I listen to varies.  Digital Pride your recommendations are really good.  I think I will have to track each of them down and actually look at them as opposed to just pictures on the net.

Could I ask for more recommendations based on sound quality or should I re-post in the dedicated thread?? 

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 15
Basically out of all the Head Fi recommended headphones, 95% of those between $100~$250 look sleek and awesome for the streets, while 95% of those over $250 are either butt-ugly or way too retro in design.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
This is not a troll thread.  Apologies for starting a new thread I didnt realise there was one dedicated to this particular subject.  Those skull candy headphones are horrible.  I dont want to walk down the street with headphones that scream "oooohhhhh love me love me I have big flashy headphones"   When I say look good I mean I want ones that are subtle hence my choices in the Bose OE and the AKG Q460.  I intend to use these headphones for everyday use which will range from laptop use to ipod and what I listen to varies.  Digital Pride your recommendations are really good.  I think I will have to track each of them down and actually look at them as opposed to just pictures on the net.

Could I ask for more recommendations based on sound quality or should I re-post in the dedicated thread?? 

Nah, you already got people here in this thread so you're fine here. When we see the words "Beats" we tend to grind our teeth so bare with us. The only reason I would shy away from the Bose is the build quality. They'll sound good for the price but I'd be careful with them since Bose break pretty easily if you use them a lot (or worse) drop them a lot. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are a good buy or you can go the Grado route for some really fun, punchy headphones.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 15
I do like the look of the M50, the two Ultrasone's recommended by Digital Pride I also like..  I will have to see what they look and feel like which should be fun considering lol..  My heart is veering towards the AKG Q460's mainly because they are endorsed by Quincy Jones lol..

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 15
AKG-518LE's are something to be considered if you're using them as portable phones, I think they look pretty nice - but they're bordering garish and subtle so I"m not sure if they'd be your style.  Definitely a budget pair of headphones but decent SQ nonetheless if you want a cheaper (~$50) option.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Ok so I went to have a look at some headphones today and well here are my findings.

The ones I was able to track down:

The Bose OE:  Look cheap and plasticy and do not illustrate the level of quality that I would expect and werent as comfortable as I would like.  The sound quality was fairly average.. In all honesty I was expecting a sound quality jump similar to the price jump from my old Sennheiser PX200.  It fell short though.

The Klipsch Image One:  Looked nicer than the Bose and sounded better too.  It was comfortable however I think if I was wearing them for a long time they would begin to annoy me.

The Grado SR60:  Looked better in reality than they do in pictures.. They leak sound though but they were good sound quality wise and the build quality seemed to be quite good as well.

I also tried a set of headphones which were over my budget.

Bowers & Wilkins P5:  They felt incredible the sound quality was warm and detailed and they look pretty awesome.  However one thing I did notice was that the wire seemed flimsy and really thin.. For the amount I'd pay I would expect a thicker wire such as the one that I noticed on the Grado SR60.

What are peoples opinions on the B&W P5

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 15
B & W P5 is considered to be overpriced based solely on the SQ with the price premium I guess on the looks, style and portability.  I deffo don't mind getting one of these over all your other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back