New Headphone or Get an Amp? (Updated with a mini review)
Oct 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rroseperry

Headphoneus Supremus
I joined head-fi intending to get new IEMs, but I just found my old ER6s. They still sound pretty good, but I was wondering whether I'd get better sound with an amp/DAC or if I should just get new IEMs after all.  My source is an iAudio 9. Will an amp make any difference?  I notice there's not a line out and that seems important to get the most out of an amp, from what I've been reading.

Thanks for any suggestions

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 17
I wouldn't invest in an amp at this point imho.  Note the spec's below.  Getting an amp for these will not do anything to frequencies below 50 Hz or above 16 kHz per your ER 6's design.  They are quite capable of giving you excellent sound however as is.  Again, I would wait for an amp to compliment a more demanding set of headphones.

ER•6i Technical Specifications
Frequency response: 50 Hz to 16 kHz
Tolerance: ±3 dB to 6 kHz, ±6 dB to 16 kHz re nominal
Transducer type: Balanced armature
1 kHz sensitivity: 108 dB @ 0.1V
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Maximum output: 120 dB SPL
Maximum continuous input: 2.5 Vrms
Weight: less than 1 oz.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the information, but I've actually got the old ER6s with these specs:

Frequency response: 20 Hz to 16 kHz
Tolerance: ±3 dB to 6 kHz, ±6 dB to 16 kHz re nominal
Transducer type: Balanced Armature
1 kHz sensitivity: 97 dB SPL for a 0.1 volt input
Impedance: 48 Ohms
Maximum output: 120 dB SPL
Maximum continuous input: 2.5 Vrms
Weight: less than 1 oz.

And the impedance is 3x the ER6i.  Does that change things?

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 17
I'd still say the same thing with those ER6s...    Can you identify any music or parts of songs that you feel are less than acceptable or enjoyable?  Depending on how and where you are listening to your headphones I'd consider what your next headphones might be and whether they might need an amp.  It's a closer call but I think you are getting a lot of listening quality now.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 17
those specs do change things. if you like the sound, but they just don't get loud enough then get an amp. if you don't like the sound then get a new pair of IEM's.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Heed all the prior postings.  Replace the beginning (iem/cans) or end (source) or vice versa of the chain is more important then the middle, if ever needed.

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Get a much better pair of headphones or IEMs before you get an amp. The Cowon Iaudio 9 has one of the most powerful amps in a DAP on the market, so an amp would probably do very little with those headhones. Tell me what kind of music you usually listen to and I will do my best to recommend a headphone or IEM.

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 17
First things first, welcome to Head-fi, rroseperry.
beerchug.gif

rroseperry wrote:

I joined head-fi intending to get new IEMs, but I just found my old ER6s. They still sound pretty good, but I was wondering whether I'd get better sound with an amp/DAC or if I should just get new IEMs after all.

Aaaah, get an amp, if for no other reason than you want one.

evil_smiley.gif

A word to the wise, inexpensive IEM's are limited in of themselves, just like everything else in life.  And it never hurts to get a better amp, just like it never hurts to get decent IEM's.  Both, if the budget is there, is even better.  What's your upgrade budget?

???

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks everybody.

@Captfantastic - The ER6s are fine with most pop, electronica, blues, and classical.  What has been bothering me a little is a certain midrange muddiness in gospel and jazz recordings. I've had Shure SE210 and Klipsch Custom 2 IEMs.  I like the Shure sound, but they're a little delicate for commuting.  I've got a pair of 440s that I use for sedentary listening.

@George Goodman  - The problem is I listen to a pretty wide variety of music.  I don't need knock out bass, but I like a solid bottom. The most important things are probably a nice clear midrange and sharp high end.

@beeman458 - My single purchase budget total is about $200.  I was looking at the ER-4Ps, audio technica, and sennheiser in that range. If I were going to go for an amp, I could probably push the budget to $300.

Any suggestions?

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 17
rroseperry wrote:

If I were going to go for an amp, I could probably push the budget to $300.

Any suggestions?

Sure, and at that price, you might spend a few dollars more and get both, a decent set of IEM's and an amp.

Personally, since you already have the iAudio9, I'd get the IE8's first, see how they sound with the Cowon player and decide if you need an amp from there.  But I highly recommend for look, price and quality of sound, the FiiO E-7.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 17
If you are going to look at the IE8s, you might as well look at the Earsonics SM3s. In addition, lower level custom in ear monitors give the best seal and oftentimes the best sound. Look at the JH5 and lower level Universal Melody customs. There are detailed reviews about these and other IEMs at headfonia.com, if you search IEMs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back