New headphone of SONY (pics)~
Apr 21, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #17 of 82
Don't forget the main reason for flagship products - marketing and publicity. There is a $ value there, though they are intangible benefits. Also, maintaining a flagship development program has "trickle-down" benefits for lesser products in the future. That's why almost every manufacturer should have one, from cars to blenders.

Besides, if Sennheiser didn't have the HD650 (or Orpheus), Grado didn't have the RS-1/PS-1, then how would they look against other companies? These products give the rest of the range a "halo"; not all of us can afford the best, but they give us something to reach towards.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #18 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Don't forget the main reason for flagship products - marketing and publicity. There is a $ value there, though they are intangible benefits. Also, maintaining a flagship development program has "trickle-down" benefits for lesser products in the future. That's why almost every manufacturer should have one, from cars to blenders.

Besides, if Sennheiser didn't have the HD650 (or Orpheus), Grado didn't have the RS-1/PS-1, then how would they look against other companies? These products give the rest of the range a "halo"; not all of us can afford the best, but they give us something to reach towards.

Absolutely agree. It's obvious that we might expect a cheap version of these headphones. Wanna bet?
wink.gif

EDIT: And I expect these to be great headphones. (Hope not better than my PS-1 coming in a week
rolleyes.gif
)

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 82
I'll have to go check these out when I am in japan this summer... I don't think I will buy it though, unless it really is a great set of cans. but then, I want an R10 and other stuff too so I don't know.

by the way, as for cans that go up to 100k Hz, check this out:
http://prodb.matsu****a.co.jp/produc...4&hb=RP-HDA100
I haven't seen anyone talk about it here at Head-Fi yet.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 82
I don't think I would want to be seen in the public with those. They look like they were designed for the Borg... I think Sony went overboard on the neo-industrial techie look
rolleyes.gif

1 step forward, 2 steps back
eggosmile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 82
I kind of detest the looks of that thing. It's rather ugly IMHO.

Any ideas on price?

Apr 21, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 82
reminds me of a laundry basket mixed with ikea furniture...

I reallly would like to give them a listen tho...i'm guessing this is sony's response to AT's leather head. You guys check out the other QAUIL items? freakin expensive as hell...$1800 portable MD (not sure if its HIMD or not)...OMG...
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #24 of 82
I take my words back since it's an entire audio line. Sorry.

But 1800$ PMDP
rolleyes.gif
Can't understand what's that line for? Entire line to promote cheaper models? I don't think so. May be they think that someone who bought one item from this line will likely buy some others.

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #25 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Am I the only one who finds them hideously ugly?

Definitely not. I'm surprised that this would be one of their upper-end products. Looks kind of cheap to be. Headphone design is usually pretty conservative. Of course, it's not the looks that matter, but the sound...

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 82
The headband looks like my parmesan cheese grater
biggrin.gif
!

(can that be comfortable?)

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #27 of 82
Unusual designs (and this one is certainly that) are always pretty polarizing. I think that they look nice and i will definitely be interested in seeing them, and more importantly hearing them, in person. I'd pretty much decided that an R10 was in my future, but this might end up changing things.

At any rate, i'm glad to see more high end headphones showing up on the scene, i think that ultimately it's good news for all of us.

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #28 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
What you're saying is not rational. Sony is a huge company. Making an extra $4 million over the next 15 years is not a practical profit strategy for a company with revenues in the billions.

Uhhh Wodgy, note this is part of a whole major new line of products from Sony. I'm having a problem understanding why you think that turning a larger profit on a product line is going to hurt Sony or fail to make sense or isn't rational?

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Uhhh Wodgy, note this is part of a whole major new line of products from Sony. I'm having a problem understanding why you think that turning a larger profit on a product line is going to hurt Sony or fail to make sense or isn't rational?

I was responding to your theory that the Qualia line was designed to be a wild profit center and thus contribute to restoring Sony to profitability. I'm not questioning that these products might be more profitable on an individual basis than their predecessors. I'm saying that in aggregate their sales won't contribute materially to Sony's bottom line. Again, a profit of $4 million over 15 years is an asterisk on the cash flow statement for a multi-billion dollar company, and given that reality, it doesn't make sense that argue that somehow this Qualia line is going to restore Sony to profitability. It cannot be anything more than a drop in a bucket. Perhaps you were reading poorly translated marketing literature?

This product only makes business sense as a flagship product, though it is possible that this is the flagship "lifestyle" product and the R10 is the flagship "music lovers'" product. It's also possible that the R10 was looking long in the tooth in comparison with recent wood headphones from Audio Technica, and Sony felt they had to reassert their design and technology dominance with a totally new product.

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 82
Looks like Sony has gone the neo-deco route in designing their newest headphones. Wonder how comfortable they are? Those pads look rather on the thin and stiff side. Still I much prefer the looks of the R10 but hey if they sound anywhere as good as the R10 and cheaper, then looks will become secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back