New headphone of SONY (pics)~
May 5, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #76 of 82
I was looking for it without success some time ago, I'm not sure if it was an adapter, to hook at your amp outs, or an amp itself????
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

May 5, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #77 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Did you know that there was also a headphone amp to go along with the R10? Now find me a pic of that if anyone can.

According to the R10 manual, it was not an amp, but an adapter to run the headphone from a power amp. The model number was DRC-R10. There is no picture of it in the manual.

May 5, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #79 of 82
What's more is the price of the R-10 might slightly drop...or not. But there is a chance.
I think this whole "Qualia" (obviously denoting quallity) line of products made by Sony is a simple strategy to suck in more customers into thinking Sony can also take on the high end market. Just look at the name, Qualia, it screams out attention or, I want heads to turn heads with my exotic materials used to make the products. Well, it's worked because it grabed my attention if for only a few minutes. That is, until I saw past what Sony is trying to do here. I personally think the name is tacky. Granted this isn't to say the new headphone won't be a success or sound good. I simply am pointing out another ploy of the infamous Sony corp, which wants to become more recognized among the "audiophiles." Take a look at the Qualia line of products. The only reason for the insane, uneccessary price tags is because of the materials used to build the products. There is no "new technology" being used here as Sony has so frequently used to market and build up the Qualia line. The technology is the same, and the only thing new about these headphones for example, is the so called exotic, original materials used. This, IMO, will not warrant any technological breakthrough and in my mind is therefore not worth the ridiculous price tags. Sony is using the "those who pay more are automatically getting incredible quality" mentality. Again, that may be true, but only in the asthetic sense. Most of these Qualia products just seem like a waste of time and money. It seems as if Sony is treating this new marketing strategy as more of a investment than anything else. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. But I will obviously reserve any final judgements until both I have heard them for myself, and after they are heard by many of the respectful ears here on head-fi.

edit: And about the looks of this new headphone...
I don't know wether I should say, go finish the design and construction for this product or, this design is ahead of its time?? As the days have passed since I first saw a pic, it is starting to grow on me a little (I said a little).

May 5, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
What's more is the price of the R-10 might slightly drop...or not. But there is a chance.

Here's to hoping that the used market gets a few used R10s for ever lowering prices. I wouldn't be able to afford a pair, but I know a few people here would get a pair if the price dropped to around $1500.

May 5, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #81 of 82
Quote:

OTOH, if one was distorted, I'm assuming the other was distorted the same way, as both were made by the same company, but again, those are just numbers, at the end as you wisely stated, the ear is IMO (and I hope in yours), the final and more refined instrument that will give you the truth of the sound quality...But there is also other companies (Grado, Sennheiser, Beyers, AT, AKG, etc..) that offer different numbers, above that 20-20, so I don't think that the 20-20 is "a media" that has to be followed blindly while making any reference to a human hearing.

Well I don't think we know that the same original team with the same original equipment built both the R10s and the Qualias, could be two totally different groups. R10s are 15 years old after all. With no media capable of delivering sounds above 20KhZ available at the time, would they have bothered to measure beyond this point back in '89? Would there have been equipment on the market back then capable of measuring that high? I don't have the answers to these questions, just thinking out loud, that's all. Also, yes, I understand that some people hear more or less than 20-20, but as you know, that is the shorthand used to describe human hearing, that's only point I'm making.
Quote:

Honestly I do not believe that after that long time, they will show up, and develop an inferior product, considering that there is also a few others in the market already released, that at that time (R-10's 1989 era), did not exist, it should be really stupid from them, but who knows??? Let's wait for the final test, the "listening test"....And I'm, not saying that it will be or not better than the R-10, maybe it is not, but we have to wait till someone listen them, wanna pull the trigger???

I'm optimistic and really hoping that Sony has pulled a rabbit out of its hat and created an even more satisfying listening experience over the R10 with the Qualia at an even lower price point. Time will tell. We have seen newer models that a majority of Head-Fiers find inferior to the older models, though. I'm thinking of people's stated preference (*in general*) for the older HP Series Grados, and the Senn HD590 which failed to impress enough people to make the 580/600 go away as was clearly Senn's intentions (whether they will admit it or not) when they first introduced them.

My suspicion is that there will be things the Qualias do the R10 can't, and vice-versa. For example the Qualia's open design has me somewhat concrned, I'm worried they will lose some of the R10s solidity and presence, and soundstaging capabilities and have more of that airy fairy open phone sound.

*sigh* The waiting gives one way too much time to think about these things!
orphsmile.gif
I'm not taking any plunge until I hear from a number of Members, particularly those with R10s. I want to know what that group makes of them first. Quote:

I think this whole "Qualia" (obviously denoting quallity) line of products made by Sony is a simple strategy to suck in more customers into thinking Sony can also take on the high end market. Just look at the name, Qualia, it screams out attention or, I want heads to turn heads with my exotic materials used to make the products. Well, it's worked because it grabed my attention if for only a few minutes. That is, until I saw past what Sony is trying to do here. I personally think the name is tacky.

LOL, well it's called "marketing" zeplin. All manufacturers name their product lines, no way around that! They had to give their new line a name like their VAIO computers and WEGA TVs whatever. I like the Qualia name, it's a lot better than "WEGA" (pronounced with a "V") anyway. Quote:

Granted this isn't to say the new headphone won't be a success or sound good. I simply am pointing out another ploy of the infamous Sony corp, which wants to become more recognized among the "audiophiles." Take a look at the Qualia line of products. The only reason for the insane, uneccessary price tags is because of the materials used to build the products. There is no "new technology" being used here as Sony has so frequently used to market and build up the Qualia line. The technology is the same,

How do you know this? You have some inside info on the development of the Qualia you can share? It certainly looks like no other headphones *I've* ever seen. What would a headphone have to look like or to do to have some "innovation" to it in your eyes? Is the HD650 a big quantum leap technologically from the HD600? No. But what other extra features could they add to headphone? "It slices, it dices"...
orphsmile.gif
Quote:

and the only thing new about these headphones for example, is the so called exotic, original materials used. This, IMO, will not warrant any technological breakthrough and in my mind is therefore not worth the ridiculous price tags. Sony is using the "those who pay more are automatically getting incredible quality" mentality. Again, that may be true, but only in the asthetic sense. Most of these Qualia products just seem like a waste of time and money. It seems as if Sony is treating this new marketing strategy as more of a investment than anything else. I'm sorry, I don't buy it. But I will obviously reserve any final judgements until both I have heard them for myself, and after they are heard by many of the respectful ears here on head-fi.

Man, you haven't even heard them and you're already calling them a "fraud".
orphsmile.gif
What about the R10s, were those a "fraud"? Did they suck? Sony has shown that when it wants to it can develop a world-class headphone. They may well have done it again and at an even lower price point than the R10. *If* it does outperform the R10 (and those are BIG shoes to fill), then they've improved the quality of their best headphone and brought the price down by almost 40%. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

Sounds like your problem is with high end gear in general. There's nothing that the $20K Linn CDP can do that a $150 Sony can't do, no additional features bells and whistles. There is nothing a Blockhead can do that a Total Airhead can't do, yet it costs 20X the price. What are people paying for? Increased sound quality due to *better parts, materials, construction* used. It's that simple. Can you argue that the Airhead is as good as the Blockhead and the Blockhead is just Headroom's attempt to portray themselves as a snooty high end company to impress buyers and cheat them into thinking that if they spend more they'll get more?

I give up!
orphsmile.gif

May 5, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinder
Bollocks :wink:

Not only do I have to start saving up for the Orpheus 2, but now the O10 as well?

How am I meant to stay on top of this hobby?

--Jatinder

Hope that others who buy/listen to them first think they're crap
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back