New headphone of SONY (pics)~
Apr 21, 2004 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

zcx

100+ Head-Fier
As we know R10 has been SONYs flagship for 15years long, now Sony Corporation have there new headphone, which will cost about US$2500(more or less),and its name is QUALIA 010.
something similiar to r10s is Sony wont pruduce this phone until get the order from customers!

Well, in my opinion, this is not the new flagship of Sony, the best of sony maybe still R10, but this headphone could fill the gap of the phones from cd3000 to r10~

links http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...00404/04-0421/
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0421/sony1.htm

010.jpg

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 82
Looks like little automotive speakers with a headband. The surround looks like it is integrated into the design. At the very least it may help bass.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 82
How could this not be the new flagship product? It can't possibly be intended as a profit maker. If they're only selling it in two stores, it's unlikely that they'll recoup their initial development costs. It pretty much has to be the flagship to make any sense at all.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 82
Seems like I read some of the press way back when they announced this new line and it was really clear that they weren't trying to replace the R-10 and didn't expect these to be able to compete, except on the profit margin front.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
How could this not be the new flagship product? It can't possibly be intended as a profit maker. If they're only selling it in two stores, it's unlikely that they'll recoup their initial development costs. It pretty much has to be the flagship to make any sense at all.

Well if you sell a headphone that only costs $250 for $2500 and can get folks to buy it, your profit margin looks much better than selling a headphone that costs half what you can sell it for to make. The marketing material I saw was pretty blatant about it, this is how they expect to get Sony back on track.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 82
well,

if it is the new flagship, how can be the price less than R10?!
it is not because of the thing you said.
if it is flagship. And if the real price just around 2400US! That means for the people who wish to get a pair of R10s, they should pay more than get a R1, and the more payment doesnt bring them a flagship!
Do you think any of us could do that?
and what is the mean of Sony selling the R10 with the price US3200?!
IF the r1= new flagship, there are two way sony will do!
1: put the price of R1 higher than r10
2:cut rate of R10 from 3200US to 2400(or less)~

based on that, I do not think R1will be the one who can be the top1 of sony.
It is still R10!

icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Well if you sell a headphone that only costs $250 for $2500 and can get folks to buy it, your profit margin looks much better than selling a headphone that costs half what you can sell it for to make. The marketing material I saw was pretty blatant about it, this is how they expect to get Sony back on track.

That doesn't make any sense. Judging from the serial numbers, Sony has sold less than 2000 R10s over more than 15 years. The price of this headphone is less but roughly in the same ballpark. Even if they're making $2000 profit off each sale, they'll have a hard time even recouping their development costs, likely between $250k and half a million or more, except in the long term, and there are still production, distribution, and marketing costs. This product cannot possibly be intended as a realistic profit source.

If they're only selling it at two stores, the math becomes even more preposterous.

Are they still promoting the R10? Who would buy it if the specs of this headphone are supposed to be so much better? I realize that specs rarely correlate to sound quality, but they'll have a hard time claiming the R10 is still their flagship when it was designed more than 15 years ago and has markedly inferior specs.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 82
I can't wait for some crazy person to go buy a pair and see a review
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by zcx
well,

if it is the new flagship, how can be the price less than R10?!
it is not because of the thing you said.
if it is flagship. And if the real price just around 2400US! That means for the people who wish to get a pair of R10s, they should pay more than get a R1, and the more payment doesnt bring them a flagship!
Do you think any of us could do that?
and what is the mean of Sony selling the R10 with the price US3200?!
IF the r1= new flagship, there are two way sony will do!
1: put the price of R1 higher than r10
2:cut rate of R10 from 3200US to 2400(or less)~

based on that, I do not think R1will be the one who can be the top1 of sony.
It is still R10!

icon10.gif

Only price doesn't make something a flagship, flagship has to represent what the brand is all about. (By the way that is why usually flagship model is not very profitable. Price is not cost-driven.) Yet customer expects highest price model=flagship, i guess that is the reason Sony made this under "Qualia" brand.

Besides, why can't they have two top of the line model --- open and closed.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 82
Well the math seem to work for them, if it has a higher profit margin than the R-10 is and the list price is 2500 instead of 4000 they will sell more of them, if they make 1000 per headphone instead of 500 then they wind up with more money per sale for more sales which is pretty straightforward. I had to read the announcement a couple of times because all I could think of was "Who would ever be stupid enough to buy them?"
eek.gif
They really weren't even trying to hide it, I think because Sony was hitting the skids big time and they wanted to stress how wonderful they would help the profit margin.

Apr 21, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Well the math seem to work for them, if it has a higher profit margin than the R-10 is and the list price is 2500 instead of 4000 they will sell more of them, if they make 1000 per headphone instead of 500 then they wind up with more money per sale for more sales which is pretty straightforward. I had to read the announcement a couple of times because all I could think of was "Who would ever be stupid enough to buy them?"
eek.gif
They really weren't even trying to hide it, I think because Sony was hitting the skids big time and they wanted to stress how wonderful they would help the profit margin.

What you're saying is not rational. Sony is a huge company. Making an extra $4 million over the next 15 years is not a practical profit strategy for a company with revenues in the billions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back