New headphone of SONY (pics)~
Apr 21, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I was responding to your theory that the Qualia line was designed to be a wild profit center and thus contribute to restoring Sony to profitability. I'm not questioning that these products might be more profitable on an individual basis than their predecessors. I'm saying that in aggregate their sales won't contribute materially to Sony's bottom line. Again, a profit of $4 million over 15 years is an asterisk on the cash flow statement for a multi-billion dollar company, and given that reality, it doesn't make sense that argue that somehow this Qualia line is going to restore Sony to profitability. It cannot be anything more than a drop in a bucket. Perhaps you were reading poorly translated marketing literature?

The Qualia line is not just a headphone, it's supposed to be an entire line of products, i.e. amplifiers, preamplifiers, video screens, it's a major initiative and no, it isn't going to do that by itself, I'm not sure where you picked up that impression, I apologize if the post wasn't clear enough, what it's supposed to be is a step in the direction.

Apr 21, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Definitely not. I'm surprised that this would be one of their upper-end products. Looks kind of cheap to be. Headphone design is usually pretty conservative. Of course, it's not the looks that matter, but the sound...

But when you're creating a successor to one of the best-built most awesome-looking cans ever, the R10, I'd expect something a little nicer than this, even if it does sound godly.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #33 of 82
Now THAT is without a doubt...the worst headphone design I've ever seen. It simply takes the cake. Go Sony!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #34 of 82
Quote:

I was responding to your theory that the Qualia line was designed to be a wild profit center and thus contribute to restoring Sony to profitability. I'm not questioning that these products might be more profitable on an individual basis than their predecessors. I'm saying that in aggregate their sales won't contribute materially to Sony's bottom line. Again, a profit of $4 million over 15 years is an asterisk on the cash flow statement for a multi-billion dollar company, and given that reality, it doesn't make sense that argue that somehow this Qualia line is going to restore Sony to profitability. It cannot be anything more than a drop in a bucket. Perhaps you were reading poorly translated marketing literature?

The Qualia line is not just a headphone, it's supposed to be an entire line of products, i.e. amplifiers, preamplifiers, video screens, it's a major initiative and no, it isn't going to do that by itself, I'm not sure where you picked up that impression, I apologize if the post wasn't clear enough, what it's supposed to be is a step in the direction.

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #35 of 82
Looks like sony is trying to revamp their reputation again with limited expensive stuff. Anyone remember the spirit series?

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 82
it comes with its own stand (the one you see in the picture).
tongue.gif
the product seems very good, or at least sony has a great marketing department. I better stop reading the press release before I start forming opinions on this headphone I haven't heard.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #37 of 82
Quote:

Sorry, I posted a long explanation earlier but it appears not to have made it to the thread. I think the miscommunication here is because I didn't explicitly point out that the Qualia initiative is a huge one, that is aimed at creating a high quality, high profit margin line encompassing a huge section of the home electronics market for Sony and which in theory will restore their lead technically. The headphones are the pimple on the back of the mosquito on top of the elephant.

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #38 of 82
Oh, boy.

They have three sizes for the headband and you have to have it fitted?! What?

This headphone is a huge step back in ergonomics. That headband it the worst part of it's design. The R10 and CD3000 are amazingly comfortable. Sony did their human factors homework with those.

The "Q10" looks like the industrial designers threw all that out the window.

Of course, it's yet to be determined whether these phones are worthy of claiming the crown for "King of Headphones" Maybe perhaps "person Son".
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
the product seems very good, or at least sony has a great marketing department.

LOL, do I need to make room for another set of headphones traveling with you in the van?
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #40 of 82
Well, if the packaging on the Qualia 016 2MegaPixel camera is any indicator.....

sony105.jpg

I don't know about you, but I think $4780.00 is entirely too much money for a [size=small]2[/size] Mega Pixel digicam! I don't care how small of cool it is, it just doesn't have performance to match up to cameras a little bit larger than it.

-Ed

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #41 of 82
IMO those look like some $250 headphones,

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #42 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
I don't think I would want to be seen in the public with those. They look like they were designed for the Borg... I think Sony went overboard on the neo-industrial techie look

I am Q-10 of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!

LOL!

I love the styling, any hope it will trickle down to a V6 replacement in a few years?

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #43 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
LOL, do I need to make room for another set of headphones traveling with you in the van?
tongue.gif

let's see... they start accepting orders for it starting Juy 1st so no.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't even know if I have time to order it and get it before I head out of japan this summer if I do decide that I want it.

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #44 of 82
Interesting quotation from the page Edwood linked to:

"Introducing Sony Qualia

Sony has some of the world's best R&D focused on creating consumer devices. But, although cool prototypes may wow the public at a trade show, high price points prevent many products from making it to market. The innovators at Sony grew frustrated with this, and launched a brand called Qualia. Sony Qualia products are Sony's best-of-the-best.

We seriously doubt that Sony intends Qualia to be a huge profit center. Even though most products fall into the if-you-have-to-ask-you-can't-afford-it category, the high-priced inputs and presumably tiny demand mean that

Qualia profits (if they exist) will be a drop in the bucket for a global leader like Sony. But, much like a car company that sponsors F1, the value to Sony will be in the admiration fostered for its brand."

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #45 of 82
i appear to be one of the few people who has voiced this type of opinion, but those are some amazing looking headphones.

first of all, it's a different style than the r10's. these look "cool" and "modern" while the r10's look "classy."

i agree that it's unlikely these will sound better than the r10's. that's only speculation though. sony apparently did not search the globe for the finest trees in the world to build these headphones, as is claimed with the r10's. however it is possible they dug to the center of the earth to find the finest metals for the qualia...

honestly, one thing i am sure of, these go right up there with the r10's as "obscene" pieces of audio equipment. i feel like these level headphones represent the crossing of the boundary between people who LOVE audio and people who have to do other than listen to music. (this is NOT an insult, but rather me voicing my opinion about my views when it comes to sanity.)

someone place an order for these and review them...now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back