New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Aug 4, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #1,786 of 2,450
  yep. again, schematic is worth a thousand words:

Still...  for a true balanced dual XLR headphone cable there should be no connection to ground to the headphone drivers...only L+(pin 2) L- (pin-3), R+(pin 2) R-(pin 3)..........and for a 4 pin XLR.. 1 L+, 2 L-, 3 R+, 4 R-..again no connection to a common ground.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,787 of 2,450

Still...  for a true balanced dual XLR headphone cable there should be no connection to ground to the headphone drivers...only L+(pin 2) L- (pin-3), R+(pin 2) R-(pin 3)..........and for a 4 pin XLR.. 1 L+, 2 L-, 3 R+, 4 R-..again no connection to a common ground.

If you look carefully, the common ground is only for shielding (which is connected to chassis of the amp, sleeving on the cables if you have, most don't cause its just braided +/-), and is not connected to L+/- or R+/- and is therefore balanced.

If the L/R- is connected to ground, then it is not balanced. =)

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,788 of 2,450
  If you look carefully, the common ground is only for shielding (which is connected to chassis of the amp, sleeving on the cables if you have, most don't cause its just braided +/-), and is not connected to L+/- or R+/- and is therefore balanced.

If the L/R- is connected to ground, then it is not balanced. =)

Correct
smile.gif
  (I amended my original post)

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,789 of 2,450

True, but the Non-Inverted and Inverted outputs will all be referenced to Signal Common.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,790 of 2,450
Amp received - thanks @ngyu!

Starting off with: Foobar>ASIO>Teac UD-501>Solid silver RCA>BHA-1>Moon Audio BD balanced XLR>LCD2.2(pre-fazor).

Yes, SE RCA is the oddball - waiting on a good-quality set of XLR interconnects to arrive to go balanced between the DAC and amp.

Going to reserve SQ comments as I'm literally 1/2hr into it but can comment on one thing: the main battle tank pic a few pages ago is only slightly exaggerated - this thing is built like a tank lol.

Going to Anax my HD-800's today and try them out in a bit, but for now I'm going to see just how the boom is on the LCD's  
wink_face.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,791 of 2,450

Starting off with: Foobar>ASIO>Teac UD-501>Solid silver RCA>BHA-1>Moon Audio BD balanced XLR>LCD2.2(pre-fazor).

Yes, SE RCA is the oddball - waiting on a good-quality set of XLR interconnects to arrive to go balanced between the DAC and amp.

Going to reserve SQ comments as I'm literally 1/2hr into it but can comment on one thing: the main battle tank pic a few pages ago is only slightly exaggerated - this thing is built like a tank lol.

Going to Anax my HD-800's today and try them out in a bit, but for now I'm going to see just how the boom is on the LCD's  
wink_face.gif

Nice! Glad you received it. ROFL about the tank comment... if the post man dropped it.... I'd be worried for his feet... and the ground... *insert old nokia joke here*. So much for not worrying about collateral damage =P 

Anyways enjoy it! SE RCA totally does not do it justice, you definitely need to run that thing balanced.

Cheers!

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,792 of 2,450
  Nice! Glad you received it. ROFL about the tank comment... if the post man dropped it.... I'd be worried for his feet... and the ground... *insert old nokia joke here*. So much for not worrying about collateral damage =P 

Anyways enjoy it! SE RCA totally does not do it justice, you definitely need to run that thing balanced.

Cheers!

Check my email - I wish Canada Post did drop it on some toes lol.

The XLR interconnects are inbound - can't wait. And off to leave you some very nice feedback on CAM - thanks man!

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,793 of 2,450

wink_face.gif

Hmm, the Anax mod, I am chicken. Let me know what you experience! 

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,794 of 2,450
  Hmm, the Anax mod, I am chicken. Let me know what you experience! 

Will do. It's easily reversible or I would join you as a feathered friend lol.

Hey - we're amp-buddies 
beerchug.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,797 of 2,450
  I sell my HE-6 today, I'll ship it today, it's very sad to let go this baby. 

Now I have some budget for upgrade my system. Someone try the new Moon 430HA headphone amp?

The 430HA is amazing, though painfully expensive.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,798 of 2,450

I sell my HE-6 today, I'll ship it today, it's very sad to let go this baby. 

Now I have some budget for upgrade my system. Someone try the new Moon 430HA headphone amp?

The 430HA is amazing, though painfully expensive.

It is worth the pain....

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,799 of 2,450
Looks interesting. The built-in cross-feed might be fun and handy to just flip a switch for. Thought you were going tube?

Very impressive power and distortion specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back