New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Aug 1, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #1,771 of 2,450
There was a review a long time ago, for one of Bryston's amps. In it, the reviewer wrote that he had placed a Bryston remote underneath the tire of his SUV. Then ran it over a few times. The Bryston remote apparently functioned perfectly.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,772 of 2,450
  A real weapon-of-choice? 
biggrin.gif

It could easily take it.

Even if it broke, they've got a pretty good warranty
tongue.gif

That would make for a pretty funny repair ticket though...
Bryston: reason for repair?
me: self defence
Bryston: ...what?

lol

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,773 of 2,450
Definitely tighter bass, zero noise, and no collateral damage.

Try it with an HE-6.

I had both side-by-side and felt the amp section of the HA-1 was definitely softer in presentation. The BHA-1 was clearer, more transparent and slightly more dynamic.
I'm head over heels in love with the BHA-1 :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,774 of 2,450
I had both side-by-side and felt the amp section of the HA-1 was definitely softer in presentation. The BHA-1 was clearer, more transparent and slightly more dynamic.
I'm head over heels in love with the BHA-1 :)

Yes, I can see that from your avatar....:rolleyes:

It's a great amp, enjoy.

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #1,775 of 2,450
Aug 2, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,776 of 2,450
  Better soundstage with Oppo! 
rolleyes.gif

1. ngyu what is your HD800 cable?

Yepp! Most definitely better sound stage with the Oppo. I'm a big fan of soundstage, one of the reasons why I have the HD800. As for my cable, its custom-made by a member here on Head-Fi. Can pm you his details =)

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,777 of 2,450
Curious as to why shouldn't you try to drive two pairs? I've powered both the HD800 and LCDX at the same time without breaking a sweat. This puppy has 6 discrete amps in it for a reason. 2 for 4pin, 2 for 3pin, and 2 for SE. The SE is the only one that shouldn't be split... FYI, the power is divided between the two HPs, whereas in balanced, the power is not divided. 

I couldn't be wrong, but I'd like to think I'm not :wink:

No, it does not have a discrete amp for the SE outputs.
The SE output uses half of the balanced output.

Cheers, Chris

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,779 of 2,450
Aug 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,782 of 2,450
No, it does not have a discrete amp for the SE outputs.
The SE output uses half of the balanced output.

Cheers, Chris

Correct.

Well... would you look at that. I stand corrected. Thanks! and looks like the 3pin XLR are just in parallel with the 4pin XLR, they are not discrete either?

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,783 of 2,450
  Except I high-lit the negatives (my bad
redface.gif
) as opposed to the positives that are used for the single ended output.

Interestingly I see the 3 pin XLRs have pin 1 wired to ground so that one could make up a dual XLR adapter to a ¼ single ended output if needed.

Pin 1 is always wired to ground (and the housing of the connector) for 3pin XLRs. It's the L- and R- (pin 3) thats isolated from each other and ground that make it 'balanced'. The XLR connector housing is typically tied to ground.

You can totally make an adapter, because thats exactly what the SE output on the Bryston is: it just takes the Pin 2 (L+/R+) from the balanced XLR to the tip/ring of the 1/4" and the sleeve is pin 1 (ground). Pin 3 is untouched.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,785 of 2,450

Except for "balanced" headphones where ground has no electrical component.

yep. again, schematic is worth a thousand words:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back