New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Apr 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #2,026 of 2,442
  Sounds pretty low to me! Thanks for the update.

Is the output still capacitor coupled?
thx, C

In my many years working with audio, I was always led to believe that coupling capacitors in general, but most especially electrolytics (due to non-linearity at higher frequencies), negatively impacted the sound quality, and were to be avoided at all costs. I listened to the Bryston before I knew its topology and loved it, and found out later about the capacitive coupling.

I think this goes to show that quality of implementation trumps circuit design truisms.

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,029 of 2,442
In my many years working with audio, I was always led to believe that coupling capacitors in general, but most especially electrolytics (due to non-linearity at higher frequencies), negatively impacted the sounds quality, and were to be avoided at all costs. I listened to the Bryston before I knew its topology and loved it, and found out later about the capacitive coupling.

I think this goes to show that quality of implementation trumps circuit design truisms.

Interesting (and honest!) observation!
Thanks for sharing.

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #2,030 of 2,442
Other than the Bryston Dac that is made for this BHA-1. What would you guys use as a DAC to Complement it?
I use a Concero HD. I find it's Sabre DAC implementation (ultra-revealing) complimentary to the sheer neutrality of the BHA-1. Though I must admit the Gungnir multi-bit looks appealing.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,031 of 2,442
Other than the Bryston Dac that is made for this BHA-1. What would you guys use as a DAC to Complement it?

I've read that the Berkeley Alpha DAC Ref is legendary (crazily priced, though, at 16K USD). Have never tried it out, though.

My BDA-1 still is my end-game with BHA-1 (I nicknamed it Fidelity for good reasons), unless something else in the same $2.2K CAD price range comes along to whack it.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,032 of 2,442
I use a Concero HD. I find it's Sabre DAC implementation (ultra-revealing) complimentary to the sheer neutrality of the BHA-1. Though I must admit the Gungnir multi-bit looks appealing.

Which island are you on there in N. Bay?

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,036 of 2,442
How does BHA-1 compare to your CIA amp? Curious.
Haha. The stroms can sometimes be bad but being on the ocean we are somewhat protected from the really, deep cold temps. I imagine it's pretty hairy out your way. With regards to the VHP-2/VAC-1 combo vs. BHA-1, I'll say this-there is a reason why I will not let it go. To my ears, it is as neutral and musical as the BHA-1. It's just simpler with less features and power. Basically it's just the junior version of BHA-1. I give it super high praise. It's a keeper for me.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,037 of 2,442
Haha. The stroms can sometimes be bad but being on the ocean we are somewhat protected from the really, deep cold temps. I imagine it's pretty hairy out your way. With regards to the VHP-2/VAC-2 combo vs. BHA-1, I'll say this-there is a reason way I will not let it go. To my ears, it is as neutral and musical as the BHA-1. It's just simpler with less features and power. Basically it's just the junior version of BHA-1. I give it super high praise. It's a keeper for me.

Not too bad in Alberta this winter. Relatively mild compared to the nor'east.

Good that you find both amps satisfying.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,038 of 2,442

Oppo BDP-95.  It's all I'll ever need. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back