New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Sep 20, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,951 of 2,442

Do you know which resistors and what values to replace with? Bryston wants me to send in my unit + $80 for the work. I prefer to do it myself if possible. 

With mine, even on T1 and HD800 I can hear music coming through with the volume set at the lowest (0). I like the amp and its features, this is my only gripe.

My professional opinion,
don't guess,
either send it to Bryston (and you will not void your warranty)
or ask Bryston what to do, and hope you do know what you are doing so you don't void your warranty.
Just sayin'

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,952 of 2,442

My professional opinion,
don't guess,
either send it to Bryston (and you will not void your warranty)
or ask Bryston what to do, and hope you do know what you are doing so you don't void your warranty.
Just sayin'

This was my "best guess"...
tongue.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560499/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston/1920#post_11890228

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,953 of 2,442
Oct 5, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,954 of 2,442
Try volume matching, the differences will become more subtle, assuming to turn all processing off.....if I understand your equipment correctly?

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,955 of 2,442
I've had the Bryston BHA-1 for a week now.  I've owned headphone amps such as the GS-X mk2, Taurus mkii, still own the vintage Fisher 500c and I find the BHA-1 better.  This of course is subjective to personal taste and perception.  In any case I stick to my guns on this opinion.  Paired with Grado PS1000e and BDA-1 (some HF members reacted in horror learning I had bought this DAC) coaxed to my SACD/CD player, the sound is linear with wonderful depth.  On some songs I'm able to discern background/vocals lyrics which used to be submerged even w/ the GS-X mk2 and HD800 combo (about which I was reproachfully advised to "check my sources".)   What's uncanny is I still have the same sources but different headphones and HP Amp.  

[size=x-small]I won't say that I've found my "end game" knowing how much this hobby has cost me over the years but I will say that it's going to take something quite remarkable even [/size]revolutionary[size=x-small] to better the sound I'm getting from this amp/HP combo. [/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,956 of 2,442
^^^^
Congrats!!!

Good to hear.  Are you running the BHA-1 balanced?

I'm definitely enjoying the sound from my BHA-1 for both my HE-560's and HD650's.

Mike

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #1,957 of 2,442
  ^^^^
Congrats!!!

Good to hear.  Are you running the BHA-1 balanced?

I'm definitely enjoying the sound from my BHA-1 for both my HE-560's and HD650's.

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes I'm running the BHA-1 balanced but PS1000e is SE for now.  I've ordered a male xlr 4 pin connector and female which will go on the extension cable when I want to listen in SE again.  Glad you're also enjoying your set up.  Getting a set up that truly fulfills the sound you've been looking for is such a pleasant experience.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,958 of 2,442
  I've had the Bryston BHA-1 for a week now.  I've owned headphone amps such as the GS-X mk2, Taurus mkii, still own the vintage Fisher 500c and I find the BHA-1 better.  This of course is subjective to personal taste and perception.  In any case I stick to my guns on this opinion.  Paired with Grado PS1000e and BDA-1 (some HF members reacted in horror learning I had bought this DAC) coaxed to my SACD/CD player, the sound is linear with wonderful depth.  On some songs I'm able to discern background/vocals lyrics which used to be submerged even w/ the GS-X mk2 and HD800 combo (about which I was reproachfully advised to "check my sources".)   What's uncanny is I still have the same sources but different headphones and HP Amp.  

[size=x-small]I won't say that I've found my "end game" knowing how much this hobby has cost me over the years but I will say that it's going to take something quite remarkable even [/size]revolutionary[size=x-small] to better the sound I'm getting from this amp/HP combo. [/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to hear positive impressions vs other amps. I'm loving my BHA1 and HD800 combo (via balanced WyWires Red) and the amp seems to sound better when left on for more than a day.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,959 of 2,442
^ @BobG55  Congrats and enjoy your BHA-1.  It's a lethal combo, paired with BDA-1.

Are you using a BNC or RCA between your BDA-1 and CDP? (I prefer and use BNC, hands down, for floor speakers, as my B100 preamp is only SE. I use a Belden 1800F AES for headphones so it's all "balanced" to BHA-1. Cardas Golden Presence XLR from BDA-1 to BHA-1. Sweet bliss, that cable )
beerchug.gif

cheers

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,960 of 2,442

Thanks Mike, yes I'm running the BHA-1 balanced but PS1000e is SE for now.  I've ordered a male xlr 4 pin connector and female which will go on the extension cable when I want to listen in SE again.  Glad you're also enjoying your set up.  Getting a set up that truly fulfills the sound you've been looking for is such a pleasant experience.  
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Mike

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,961 of 2,442
  ^ @BobG55  Congrats and enjoy your BHA-1.  It's a lethal combo, paired with BDA-1.

Are you using a BNC or RCA between your BDA-1 and CDP? (I prefer and use BNC, hands down, for floor speakers, as my B100 preamp is only SE. I use a Belden 1800F AES for headphones so it's all "balanced" to BHA-1. Cardas Golden Presence XLR from BDA-1 to BHA-1. Sweet bliss, that cable )
beerchug.gif

cheers

Hi CanadianMaestro,

Thanks it sounds wonderful.  I'm using a coaxial cable between my BDA-1 & CDP & balanced between BDA-1 and BHA-1.  I'm not using my speakers right now; they've been packed away for more than a year.  Also my HD6xx are both balanced with SE extension.  I'm getting my PS1000e & 500e balanced by a technician friend of mine.  I've ordered the male & female connectors last week from Take Five Audio in Mount Forest, ON.  The Grados already sound exquisite SE so I'm anxious to see/hear how they'll sound balanced.  I also have a 3pin two connectors balanced cable which I bought from Headroom a few years ago for the two HD6xx.   I've listened to it once with the HD600 and it wasn't earth shattering but not unpleasant either.  It just sounded a bit "far away" maybe a bit muffled also compared to the single 4 pin balanced connector.  Again, I really like this amp.

wink.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,962 of 2,442

smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to hear positive impressions vs other amps. I'm loving my BHA1 and HD800 combo (via balanced WyWires Red) and the amp seems to sound better when left on for more than a day.

Glad you're enjoying your set up grdlow.  This amp doesn't get the pomp & ceremony other more expensive amps get on this site but it's quite impressive once you experience it. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,963 of 2,442
A quick question for old and new BHA-1 owners. Is there a difference in the placement of "BHA-1" on the faceplate depending on whether it came with balanced out pre-amp capability or not? In some versions I've seen BHA-1 printed on the bottom right hand corner. In others, I've seen it underneath the Bryston logo on the left side of the plate. Thanks!

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,964 of 2,442
  A quick question for old and new BHA-1 owners. Is there a difference in the placement of "BHA-1" on the faceplate depending on whether it came with balanced out pre-amp capability or not? In some versions I've seen BHA-1 printed on the bottom right hand corner. In others, I've seen it underneath the Bryston logo on the left side of the plate. Thanks!

Iirc those units without balanced pre-amp outs were early prototypes. The balanced pre-amp should be standard on all BHA-1 sold now.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,965 of 2,442

Don't know about the different faceplate labeling, but take a look at post 430 in this thread where Bryston's James Tanner states that all BHA-1s after 10/1/2012 will come with balanced XLR pre-amp outputs on the back panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back