New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Sep 2, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,906 of 2,442
Thanks for advanced details. Im seeking a smooth sound. Without sparkling highs but not mitigating the other strengths of TH900 (deep scene, punch and deep bas).

I definitely need to try BHA-1 since even BP26 is step ahead from Gustard H10 working with low impedance cans

Well, I think it's a great choice for your HE-560's if you go the balanced route. If you are looking at buying one with the TH900 in mind you may want to order it with the low-gain reduction mod in place depending on your preferred genres. But I would expect a brighter sound, especially if you find the H10 bright (try switching op-amps in that one - a good thread on that). Otherwise you may just have to EQ a bit to your liking.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,907 of 2,442
Well, I think it's a great choice for your HE-560's if you go the balanced route. If you are looking at buying one with the TH900 in mind you may want to order it with the low-gain reduction mod in place depending on your preferred genres. But I would expect a brighter sound, especially if you find the H10 bright (try switching op-amps in that one - a good thread on that). Otherwise you may just have to EQ a bit to your liking.

First time i hear on low-gain reduction mode,. Is it some specific model? Some prefix?

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,908 of 2,442
First time i hear on low-gain reduction mode,. Is it some specific model? Some prefix?

Mine was a used model and I'd be happy to look up the code numbers for you tonight if you like. I think most that had it done were retrofits (mine included). Are your concerns with too much gain for the low-impedance TH900's? All it will do is reduce the overall gain when in the low-gain switch position. That would give you more usable range on the low-gain switch if it is too high for your headphones. It won't change the frequency response or overall sound, simply reduce the gain and give you more range if the amp is too powerful for your needs.

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,909 of 2,442
I can assure you that the BHA-1 / TH-900 combo works very well in low gain.

Excellent in fact.

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,910 of 2,442

No, not a specific model. A dealer can arrange to have it sent to Bryston, or better, have a tech do the adjustment in-store. It involves switching some resistors inside the existing unit. I had mine adjusted in-store, to allow me to use the fuller volume range -- it was too loud for me at just 10 o'clock, on L gain. Now, I can use it at a comfy volume at around 1-130 o'clock, and ear-damaging levels at 4 o'clock.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #1,911 of 2,442

No, not a specific model. A dealer can arrange to have it sent to Bryston, or better, have a tech do the adjustment in-store. It involves switching some resistors inside the existing unit. I had mine adjusted in-store, to allow me to use the fuller volume range -- it was too loud for me at just 10 o'clock, on L gain. Now, I can use it at a comfy volume at around 1-130 o'clock, and ear-damaging levels at 4 o'clock.

Somewhere in this thread James had elaborated on the order codes they use that spell out the options.

Gibalok - you can PM James Tanner here - he's the top dog at Bryston. That's his username here too. Might be the easiest way to find out how to get one in Moscow if you're buying it new.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,912 of 2,442
Somewhere in this thread James had elaborated on the order codes they use that spell out the options.

Gibalok - you can PM James Tanner here - he's the top dog at Bryston. That's his username here too. Might be the easiest way to find out how to get one in Moscow if you're buying it new.

Thank you. I know some local dealers where i bought pre and amp. It seams that bryston again will prove it proficiency for me :)

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,913 of 2,442
As far as I am aware it was earlier produced units that the option was given to get the low gain output dropped down a few notches.

The more recently built units however have this "stepped down" feature already included. 

Idea being that Bryston was able to find a happy place in "low gain land" that would accommodate lower Imp headphones better.

(Low gain land is a fictitious place....do not attempt to book a flight)

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,914 of 2,442
  As far as I am aware it was earlier produced units that the option was given to get the low gain output dropped down a few notches.

The more recently built units however have this "stepped down" feature already included. 

Idea being that Bryston was able to find a happy place in "low gain land" that would accommodate lower Imp headphones better.

(Low gain land is a fictitious place....do not attempt to book a flight)

Well its hard to arguing when my knowledge of technical nuances are limited (high/low gain design and volume control w/o loss of details). From my big system i know that BP26 gives me more dinamics and resolution on low volumes comparing to even good digital volume control used in modern DACs (Mcintosh D100, Wadia 121/122) directly to power amp (4bsst2) but again im not sure whether its connected to BHA-1 "low gain land" advancements and its synergy with low impedance cans.

Sep 3, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,915 of 2,442

Well its hard to arguing when my knowledge of technical nuances are limited (high/low gain design and volume control w/o loss of details). From my big system i know that BP26 gives me more dinamics and resolution on low volumes comparing to even good digital volume control used in modern DACs (Mcintosh D100, Wadia 121/122) directly to power amp (4bsst2) but again im not sure whether its connected to BHA-1 "low gain land" advancements and its synergy with low impedance cans.

Interesting observations / findings.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,916 of 2,442
  Posted in the 650 thread:

I'd been holding off a bit on really commenting on the HD-650 with the Bryston BHA-1 amp. I purchased the BHA-1 from a fellow Head-Fi'er via CAM because I'd heard good things about it, and wanted to try another SS amp (the Gustard H-10 was too warm with the 650's for my taste), and wanted to try going fully balanced from the Teac-UD-501 DAC to an amp and to the headphones.

I few cables later I was able to try this out, so here's some (scattered) thoughts:

- the BHA-1 is a brighter amp than the H-10 with great detail and quite neutral signature
- the SE output on it uses 1/2 of the amp circuitry, not unusual
- when I tried the SE output with the HD-800 it just didn't have the ooomph to drive 300ohm cans to their full potential, as others have noted in it's thread
- I recently received some custom balanced cables for both the 800 and 650, and the 650 was first up for a listening test, so here's the thoughts

- right away the soundstage opened up, very surprising since both IME and as read here the 650 is naturally on the intimate side of the soundstage spectrum
- the tonal signature of the 650 (mid-bass hump and slightly rolled-off highs) paired very well with the neutral-to-brighter BHA-1
- the resulting combo was a real pleasure. The stage was wider and less three-blobbish, the mid-bass bloom disappeared and the highs were more detailed and lively, leading to, I suspect, the increased perception of a wider stage and more air
- there is plenty of power on-tap in balanced mode to drive 300ohm cans to full potential
- detail was very good as expected with a SS amp, without being overly harsh or digital-sounding
- deeper bass was still missing as I expected as neither the 650 or the BHA-1 have much emphasis here

Overall it's a great pairing. I think it lacks a little of the musicality I get from my tube amps and is perhaps a bit more digital and grainy than the Crack or S.E.X. With the 650 it has a much more well-rounded or neutral sound than with the H-10, with less mid-bass but more FR balance and a wider field. I fear it may be a bit bright with the HD-800 which I'm only just warming to (pun intended) but I'll find out today.

I think I prefer the tube amps with the 650 over the BHA-1 for their musicality as they're more involving and a touch less analytical, but for those who prefer SS (20 year warranty!) or need a wider stage for classical or large-venue performances it's a very worthy amp. Factor in the cost of the balanced cables though or you will be disappointed.

In it's price-range it matches head-to-head with a Bottlehead Mainline which is supposed to be a very good tube amp and also capable of more than just high-impedance drive. I'm hoping to put that to the test sometime early in the new year.

Hope anyone considering this well-regarded and well-built amp finds the above useful, although it's just my opinion after perhaps 10hrs of listening time in balanced. Look forward to any thoughts from others who have tried the pairing!

An aside for this thread: so far the best pairing I've tried with the BHA-1 is with the LCD2.2c. The above is my thoughts with the HD-650. Next up: the HD-800.

Great review!  Much agreed on your evaluation of the combo.

Mike

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,917 of 2,442

Great review!  Much agreed on your evaluation of the combo.

Mike

Thanks Mike - appreciate the feedback
beerchug.gif
. I have the HD-800 plugged in as we speak - will rattle off my ramblings once I've given a good listen over a few hours/genres....

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,918 of 2,442
  Thanks Mike - appreciate the feedback
beerchug.gif
. I have the HD-800 plugged in as we speak - will rattle off my ramblings once I've given a good listen over a few hours/genres....

If you have a Y-cable, you can do side-by-side comps with the 650/LCD2....they won't be vol matched, but should still be interesting.

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,919 of 2,442

If you have a Y-cable, you can do side-by-side comps with the 650/LCD2....they won't be vol matched, but should still be interesting.

I have TRS-style Y-cables but nothing in balanced XLR to split with. If one of the headphone cables had the dual 3-pin XLRs I could use both sets of balanced jacks but both are 4-pin and it would increase the load on the amp quite a bit. I could do the test in SE with a Y-cable but have already found the SE output a poor indicator of what the BHA-1 has to offer.

Good advice yesterday on the Take Five source for the male 1/4" TRS to female 4-pin XLR adaptor. Ordered today, already have the tracking and it hits the mail tonight. For $47 plus tax and shipping it'll be handy. Yes, it's cryo-treated lol. Also picked up a Canare StarQuad 12' extension with 1/4" TRS locking Neutrik connectors just cause. Also cryo-treated. Shiver me timbers lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back