New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Aug 30, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,876 of 2,442
  Got my new HE-560's with a balanced cable from Charleston Cable Company and I'm really enjoying the sound.  Thus far I'm finding the 560's smoother, faster, deeper, and fuller than my HD-650's. The 560's vocals and instrument separation are also impressive.  
However, it is worth noting that the HD-650's are an over-achiever for the money and a great headphone especially when amp'd properly.  The differences in sound characteristics between the two cans are not quite as drastic than I originally anticipated.  I'll be keeping both!

Mike

Congrats, and good pickin' on both those masterpieces. The 560 is my go-to for classical -- replaces my LCD-2.2 (too damn heavy).

How much was the balanced cable from the Charleston Co.?

beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,877 of 2,442
  Got my new HE-560's with a balanced cable from Charleston Cable Company and I'm really enjoying the sound.  Thus far I'm finding the 560's smoother, faster, deeper, and fuller than my HD-650's. The 560's vocals and instrument separation are also impressive.  
However, it is worth noting that the HD-650's are an over-achiever for the money and a great headphone especially when amp'd properly.  The differences in sound characteristics between the two cans are not quite as drastic than I originally anticipated.  I'll be keeping both!

Mike

Ssssshhhhhh don't say that over on the 650 thread! 
wink_face.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #1,878 of 2,442

Congrats, and good pickin' on both those masterpieces. The 560 is my go-to for classical -- replaces my LCD-2.2 (too damn heavy).

How much was the balanced cable from the Charleston Co.?

beerchug.gif

Thanks.  I'm very happy with the pairing.  So far I've listened to metal, rock, alternative...and classical.  :)
All have sounded fantastic!  

The Charleston Cable Co. balanced '15 foot cable with dual XLR's was $125.  On the HD-650's I prefer HeadRoom's balanced cable which runs $99.

Ssssshhhhhh don't say that over on the 650 thread! 
wink_face.gif

Much agreed.  LOL!

Mike

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,879 of 2,442

The Charleston Cable Co. balanced '15 foot cable with dual XLR's was $125.  On the HD-650's I prefer HeadRoom's balanced cable which runs $99.

Much agreed.  LOL!

Mike

It's tempting, that cable -- "entry level" Canare? I'm enjoying the stock spc cable SE, out of BHA-1/Polaris. With the USD killing us, I may have to put off the 4-pin XLR for now.

cheers

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,880 of 2,442
  It's tempting, that cable -- "entry level" Canare? I'm enjoying the stock spc cable SE, out of BHA-1/Polaris. With the USD killing us, I may have to put off the 4-pin XLR for now.

cheers

Yes, that's their entry level...Canare.  Good cable for the money (with the exception of the exchange rate).  I'd like to try one of their 'high-end' cables but, I don't want spend the money for fear of the infinitesimal differences vs. cost.

My goal with both cables was just to go 'balanced' with dual XLR's.

Mike

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,881 of 2,442

Yes, that's their entry level...Canare.  Good cable for the money (with the exception of the exchange rate).  I'd like to try one of their 'high-end' cables but, I don't want spend the money for fear of the infinitesimal differences vs. cost.

My goal with both cables was just to go 'balanced' with dual XLR's.

Mike

Yes, very slight audible changes with many HP cable "upgrades", I agree.
Why not single 4-pin XLR?

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,882 of 2,442

Yes, very slight audible changes with many HP cable "upgrades", I agree.
Why not single 4-pin XLR?

Familiarity. 

I'm relatively new to headphones and the 4-pin connector.  I've run 3-pin XLR's throughout my Home systems for years and just feel comfortable using them.

Mike 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,883 of 2,442

Familiarity. 

I'm relatively new to headphones and the 4-pin connector.  I've run 3-pin XLR's throughout my Home systems for years and just feel comfortable using them.

Mike 

electronically, there's no difference. 4 pin XLR just makes it less bulky for headphone applications, and convenience since both L/R channels are shoved into one connector. either way, balanced is the only way hahaha.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,885 of 2,442
Woot! Two cables came in today: both 10' balanced 4-pin XLR. One for the HD-800 (braided Canare w/paracord sleeving and a splitter) and one for the HD-650. Just warming up to listen to the 650 balanced now. One more cable coming in for the HD-800 from my usual cable supplier - much like the first just shorter.

Can now do the LCD2.2c, HD-800 and HD-650 all balanced from the Bryston's 4-pin XLR output. Might have enough cahoneys now to really drive those cans well. The LCD2.2c has no shortage of power in high-gain, balanced.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #1,886 of 2,442
  Woot! Two cables came in today: both 10' balanced 4-pin XLR. One for the HD-800 (braided Canare w/paracord sleeving and a splitter) and one for the HD-650. Just warming up to listen to the 650 balanced now. One more cable coming in for the HD-800 from my usual cable supplier - much like the first just shorter.

Can now do the LCD2.2c, HD-800 and HD-650 all balanced from the Bryston's 4-pin XLR output. Might have enough cahoneys now to really drive those cans well. The LCD2.2c has no shortage of power in high-gain, balanced.

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

'Grats! Let us know which of those 3 HPs sounds best in balanced from BHA-1 (rock, female vocals, and classical) -- not all cans are created equal.....

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,887 of 2,442

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

'Grats! Let us know which of those 3 HPs sounds best in balanced from BHA-1 (rock, female vocals, and classical) -- not all cans are created equal.....

Thanks man :) Best? Oh boy lol. Put it this way: they are the current kings on the "three wise heads" so they all have a special place! The HE-400 and AKG-702 are in purgatory. But I'll be able to give a better 2c worth on how the Bryston does with these puppies full-tilt. Already love it with the LCD2.2's.....

Will up some cable pron when I get a moment 
wink.gif

One very quick impression: the 650 sure has more air and *gulp* stage......

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,889 of 2,442

Yep let us know your impressions, I just acquired a pair of LCD2.2s last week...first impressions comparing them with my Sennheiser HD700s was very mediocre at best, unfocused, slightly grainy with no base???
confused.gif
. both running with a complete balance set-up.
Curiosity got the best of me so I checked them with a few of my ancient Stereophile test CDs…sure enough I discovered that the stock Audeze balanced cable was wired out of phase..dah!!!
eek.gif
, where I’m not too sure…but swapping out the balanced cable with two single ended cables confirmed my suspicions.
Sure enough they do sound very good
wink.gif
and will have to redo my comparative review once I obtain or make up another balanced cable...must say I do enjoy them much more, so far, than the HD800s I had....and a nice compliment to the HD700s.

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,890 of 2,442
  ^  3D soundstage on a 650 is a good but elusive thing.

Yeah, did not expect that at all. The 2.2's didn't get any wider. Both are known as fairly closed-in. Can imagine what the 800 is gonna do lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back