New headphone amplifier from Bryston
Jul 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,726 of 2,450
  Curious as to why shouldn't you try to drive two pairs? I've powered both the HD800 and LCDX at the same time without breaking a sweat. This puppy has 6 discrete amps in it for a reason. 2 for 4pin, 2 for 3pin, and 2 for SE. The SE is the only one that shouldn't be split... FYI, the power is divided between the two HPs, whereas in balanced, the power is not divided. 

I couldn't be wrong, but I'd like to think I'm not :wink:

No, the SE can be split. It's the balanced output circuitry that should not be split to two HPs, simultaneously thru the pair of 3-pin XLRs and the one 4-pin XLR. At least That's what I've read.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #1,727 of 2,450
  No, the SE can be split. It's the balanced output circuitry that should not be split to two HPs, simultaneously thru the pair of 3-pin XLRs and the one 4-pin XLR. At least That's what I've read.

http://bryston.com/products/power_amps/BHA-1.html - "multiple headphone drive capability"
http://www.moon-audio.com/bryston-bha-1-balanced-headphone-amplifier.html - "Thanks to its powerful design, the BHA-1 boasts multiple headphone drive capability. So enjoy it with an audiophile friend!"

With multiple headphone outs, and it even saying 'multiple drive capability', and me personally plugging in both balanced outputs, it makes sense that all 3 headphone outs can be driven at the same time, that's the purpose of having '6 fully discrete amps'. But using a splitter will divide the power between the two headphones, and in SE, the power is already lower than balanced outs. =)

I'm not saying it doesn't work, and I don't know where you read what you read, but I can guarantee you can plug multiple headphones into balanced out. and it works great.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,728 of 2,450
I've emailed Mike Pickett on this and he should get back to me soon.
Either way...it's still a magisterial amp.
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,729 of 2,450
beerchug.gif

Great! I'd love to know too! 

And totally agreed! Awesome amp.... I'm actually a little sad now that I'm parting with it...... WHAT HAVE I DONE!?!

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,731 of 2,450
  It's criminal...selling a BHA-1.
You better have something better on the way.....
popcorn.gif

i know i know.. hahaha.. spontaneous move. Oppo HA-1! More of a sideways upgrade.... the screen, the features, the wide soundstage..... 

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,732 of 2,450
  i know i know.. hahaha.. spontaneous move. Oppo HA-1! More of a sideways upgrade.... the screen, the features, the wide soundstage..... 

I loved the features and UI on that thing. The sound...
confused_face.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,733 of 2,450
beerchug.gif

Mike says it's fine to run two HPs across bal circuit -- they're in parallel, and there may be level (volume) discreps, but no damage to the amp.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,734 of 2,450

I loved the features and UI on that thing. The sound...
confused_face.gif

you've heard it? from all the reviews i've read, i hear it pairs well with the HD800. I'm not a bass-head, and do like a more analytical sound. 

Mike says it's fine to run two HPs across bal circuit -- they're in parallel, and there may be level (volume) discreps, but no damage to the amp.

yep, thats what I thought!

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,735 of 2,450

you've heard it? from all the reviews i've read, i hear it pairs well with the HD800. I'm not a bass-head, and do like a more analytical sound. 

This is my mini-review (probably the most discussion I've ever had on a review since I'm negative):
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-ha-1-integrated-headphone-dac-and-amplifier/reviews/12944

Oh goodness, the HD800 would be one of the last headphones I'd pair with the HA-1. No wait I take that back, I wouldn't do Grados or Beyers either.

But hey, I'm just one voice in a sea of many.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #1,736 of 2,450

This is my mini-review (probably the most discussion I've ever had on a review since I'm negative):
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-ha-1-integrated-headphone-dac-and-amplifier/reviews/12944

Oh goodness, the HD800 would be one of the last headphones I'd pair with the HA-1. No wait I take that back, I wouldn't do Grados or Beyers either.

LOL yup just found it and read it. But you were powering it on a HE-6, quite a different beast from the HD800, esp with driver technology and impedance. That's too bad, cause the feature list is overflowing. I'll let you know how I feel about it. Edgy and bright? We will see! Since the Bryston is sold already, not much I can do now if its that bad. Might have to find another one......... LOL

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #1,737 of 2,450

I've read that the 800 is problematic when it comes down to amp-synergy and amp-matching. Fussy HP.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,738 of 2,450

I've read that the 800 is problematic when it comes down to amp-synergy and amp-matching. Fussy HP.

Sure is. Several reviews say it pairs great with the HA-1, so we'll see. Gotta trust my own ears. But great match with the BHA-1 though, I dont think anyone can dispute that.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,739 of 2,450
  LOL yup just found it and read it. But you were powering it on a HE-6, quite a different beast from the HD800, esp with driver technology and impedance. That's too bad, cause the feature list is overflowing. I'll let you know how I feel about it. Edgy and bright? We will see! Since the Bryston is sold already, not much I can do now if its that bad. Might have to find another one......... LOL

I tried a lot of different headphones; I found the HA-1 rather edgy with most of them.

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,740 of 2,450

I tried a lot of different headphones; I found the HA-1 rather edgy with most of them.

True. Again we'll see. Not that I don't believe you, I've read a few reviews saying the same thing, its just everyone has different ears and preferences. I'll see how much I like it. Worst case, I still have the Emotiva DC-1 dac/amp =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back