New Head-fi'er looking for a nice setup
Jan 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RollTide09

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking these forums for a while and currently have Ultrasone 580's as they seemed like a good set of beginner headphones. I've enjoyed them quite a lot but want to take my next step in my audiophile journey.

I listen to pretty much everything so I want a well balanced set of cans. I currently have my eyes on the HD-650's and the D2000's. From what I've seen it looks like the 650's require quite a lot of amp, DAC, and source upgrades for them to shine and the D2000's can perform well with next to no amplification.

What I really want to know is what I'd need to pair with the 650's for them to perform well and if they would sound that much better than the D2000's.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't own a pair of HD-650s but I tried them at a Head-Fi meet with my Woo 3 and it was fantastic. I'm always wanting a pair for my Woo 3 as they seem like a match made in heaven.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 12
the hd 650s scale better than the denons and will outperform the denons with a good system.

denons are funner but in the end, the 650s are the better headphone. the mids aren't recessed and they're more detailed. however, the hd 650s have less sub-bass, but its cleaner and better controlled than the denon.

the hd 650s would be a huge upgrade from the ultrasones. 

and a decent amp in the 250-350 price range would work.

amps like the WA3 would be great for it, but more expensive.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 12
So would you say a FiiO E9 would not be good enough to power the 650's? I'm a college kid so I do have a budget. I just want to get the most for my money. That being said, I do want the difference from the Ultrasones to be pretty noticeable with whatever I decide to go with.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 12
im a college kid too
biggrin.gif

umm but yeah the e9 would have enough power to drive them. but it won't bring out the full potential of the hd 650s.

if you're on a budget now, i guess isn't a bad choice.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Think I might go with the 650's when I can find a good deal on them. I'm eager to try out an open back headphone as I've only used closed ones.

theres some on amazon refurbished for about 300 usd.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Just want to mention that HD650 is open back and leak sound, while the Denons er closed and don't leak (though they don't isolate either).

Just want to throw this in there, easy to forget when choosing :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 12
then get hd 650 its easy

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 12
In reality the Denons are closed-back that really do leak. Not much in keeping the sound inside. My Wife will tell you, I wake her up at 2:30 am at times.

Quote:
Just want to mention that HD650 is open back and leak sound, while the Denons er closed and don't leak (though they don't isolate either).

Just want to throw this in there, easy to forget when choosing :)

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 12
I've never woke my gf using these cans. I even used them at the library at school with a friend beside which would alarm me if it leaked any sound.

Maybe we listen at two very different volumes or something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back