New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #1,427 of 1,792
Speaking of the team...who are they? Members of Head-Fi who wish to remain anonymous? Outsiders (ie non-members) who were hired for the job? Just curious.

It was mentioned earlier, but the team working behind the scenes consists of Joe, Warren and our non-Head-Fi'er engineer Michael.

May 30, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,428 of 1,792
:relaxed:

May 30, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,430 of 1,792
Can someone please help - because I'm about to just give up on the whole thing.

I spent 4 hours last night trying to post a single review - including learning BB code so that I could get my tables back (why is there no table functionality any other way???). When I eventually made last edit, the tables worked, images were nicely placed on the page, and everything looked like my reviews are supposed to look. Clicking on an image enlarged the image. I had to build most of the tables manually - which is why it took so long.

I got back to check on the review today - I hadn't made a single change since yesterday but:
  • The tables now are no longer resized to fit the page
  • Half my images therefore no longer fit the screen and are not visible
  • They no longer zoom via click because they are stuck on full size
I've spent another 2 hours tonight trying to fix it and I can't.

How frustrated am I? Well I'm a contributor here, I've been offered all sorts of incentives to take my reviews to other sites, I'm even a Moderator. But I've stuck with Head-Fi through thick and thin. If it wasn't for the fact that I have reviews to post for manufacturers (obligations to fulfil), I'd be quitting Head-Fi and making a new home somewhere else.

I don't want to leave - I like the people here. But I'm at the end of my tether. Any help would be appreciated - please.

I could have simply PM'd a few people - but I want to make this public. I understand that the Administration here had to change, but this is awful - really awful. My frustration has simply reached its peak.

May 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,432 of 1,792
Hi @Brooko,

Let me start by saying we've fixed the issue, and the images in your review should now be appearing as you expected them to. We had made a change to fix another image related issue, but didn't note that your image issue started until you reported it. (Thank you for doing so.)

I understand you (and others) are frustrated by the changes, but we're working hard to remedy issues as quickly as we can. We're working night and day to improve the site in the user-facing side and the backend, and it is going to take some time. I've always enjoyed your reviews, and moreso your posts as a member, so I'm hoping that you continue to be a part of the Head-Fi community, @Brooko .

May 30, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,433 of 1,792
Is there any chance of getting comments back on reviews instead of just the "Like" button? It used to be a great way to get feedback and ask/answer additional questions about products. And I really hope that reviews can be separated at some point instead of having them all one after another on the same infinite scrolling page, it's awful tbh. Oh and half-stars too would be nice..

May 30, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #1,434 of 1,792
Hi @Brooko,

Let me start by saying we've fixed the issue, and the images in your review should now be appearing as you expected them to. We had made a change to fix another image related issue, but didn't note that your image issue started until you reported it. (Thank you for doing so.)

I understand you (and others) are frustrated by the changes, but we're working hard to remedy issues as quickly as we can. We're working night and day to improve the site in the user-facing side and the backend, and it is going to take some time. I've always enjoyed your reviews, and moreso your posts as a member, so I'm hoping that you continue to be a part of the Head-Fi community, @Brooko .

@Brooko - I second Joe! Love your reviews. In fact, when I just took my first (inexpensive) steps into this hobby, you were so kind in answering some of my questions. My first couple purchases were decided ultimately based on your reviews (FiiO X3-II and first Deltas from Trinity)... Please don't go away...

May 30, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,435 of 1,792
Thanks Joe and Brian - sorry for the rant. As you're probably aware I pre-write my reviews and then post them. With the old system it took about an hour to post and format. With the new its considerably longer. If there is a way to get table tags into the toolbar it would be hugely appreciated. And I really appreciate the countless hours you guysa re putting into getting the software right. I guess the frustration simply boiled over yesterday. Thanks for fixing things.

May 30, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,436 of 1,792
Is there any chance of getting comments back on reviews instead of just the "Like" button? It used to be a great way to get feedback and ask/answer additional questions about products. And I really hope that reviews can be separated at some point instead of having them all one after another on the same infinite scrolling page, it's awful tbh. Oh and half-stars too would be nice..
We're looking into ways to improve the Head Gear section. Like the classifieds, it's an area that we're working on improving but will take some time as the section will most likely be custom coded to meet our needs. I'd like to see comments make a return as well, so it's something we have on the list of possibilities. The same goes for review organization and star ratings.

Thanks Joe and Brian - sorry for the rant. As you're probably aware I pre-write my reviews and then post them. With the old system it took about an hour to post and format. With the new its considerably longer. If there is a way to get table tags into the toolbar it would be hugely appreciated. And I really appreciate the countless hours you guysa re putting into getting the software right. I guess the frustration simply boiled over yesterday. Thanks for fixing things.
We can look into adding table tags to the toolbar. It might only be able to function the same way the Quote insert does, but we'll look into what we can do. The Huddler tools were coded to do the things we wanted them to and didn't function the same at launch as they did near the end of the partnership. We're going through something similar with the switch to XenForo and hope to have the site feeling as smooth as before within a reasonable time.

May 30, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #1,437 of 1,792

A bit of history that may be useful: Essentially NO forum software ever allowed HTML (it was a switchable option on VBulletin when I last used it) for various reasons, mainly because you could break the forums pretty easily with a bad tag. I was actually very surprised that Huddler allowed it and even had it as the default. More so that it could switch between HTML and BBCode (within reason). I think we were spoilt in that way, as you could format posts far more readily using HTML (with whatever limitations the default CSS allowed). Going back to software that only allows BBCode feels, not surprisingly, like a massive step backwards.

May 31, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,438 of 1,792
Wondering if anyone else finds the new forums fatiguing to read because the text is soooooo wide on the page? It's almost like watching a tennis game reading from one side of the screen to the other. You see it took me three sentences to fill a single line in the thread. Actually it was four.

May 31, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,439 of 1,792
Wondering if anyone else finds the new forums fatiguing to read because the text is soooooo wide on the page? It's almost like watching a tennis game reading from one side of the screen to the other. You see it took me three sentences to fill a single line in the thread. Actually it was four.
Then don't make the browser window so wide, it wraps to fit. Call that a custom fit. :beerchug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back