New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #886 of 1,792
Any update on the missing reviews? I wouldn't know, search is still not working well. I'd think this would be a priority -- users worked hard to contribute to the value of this forum.

I read all the explanations about this transition, and agree with others like glassmonkey that there's no reason this couldn't been a much smoother transition than 7 years ago. Users could have been warned, and more time could have taken to beta test. I really have no sympathy regarding the long hours put in. That's just part of the job of hosting a site, and poor planning simply results in more long hours and crises.

Still chaffing over this one. Pearl Harbouring the user community is just amateur night and smacks of a Forgivness vs Approval attitude.
While Jude mentions in his post that they had months of prior warning he makes no argument whatsoever as to why this path was taken.

The seven P's seem to have eluded the entire staff.

May 2, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #887 of 1,792
How about an accurate post count.....?

How do you mean? The fact that post count has decreased after the transition? I would argue that the post count is in fact more accurate than on the Huddler platform because the XenForo system doesn't count deleted posts. Huddler did, and that lead to an artificial inflation of the post count.

Another curiosity, I just had 2 E-Mail notifications in my in box.

I check my Account Alerts and they showed 0 but updated later, maybe 2 minutes.
Curious, I would think it would be the other way around, Alerts on this page showing before E-Mail shows up in my in box.

What kind of email notifications did you receive? If they were for an updated thread and you have your account alerts configured not to show thread updates, then you'd get an email (if you have that enabled) while not getting an alert. I for example don't receive alerts for when a thread updates. That leads to far too many alerts for my tastes.

Does anybody know what the blue label on the corner of the avatar means? Some people have it, some don't, but there doesn't appear to be a clear logic so far.
My guess: it shows the online status.

Correct, the small blue badge on the icon is online (or very recently online) status.

Any update on the missing reviews? I wouldn't know, search is still not working well. I'd think this would be a priority -- users worked hard to contribute to the value of this forum.

Reviews are not missing, but they are not currently shown on the profile page of their author. We are working to add a link to the profile page that shows all reviews a Head-Fi'er has written. Search is a very high priority for us and we're working hard to improve it from its current state.

May 2, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #888 of 1,792
How do you mean? The fact that post count has decreased after the transition? I would argue that the post count is in fact more accurate than on the Huddler platform because the XenForo system doesn't count deleted posts. Huddler did, and that lead to an artificial inflation of the post count.

(snip).

So, what you're saying is that DLeeWebb had over 680 deleted posts...?
...and wuwhere lost over 450 posts.
I find that hard to imagine........

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #889 of 1,792

I'll take a look at these two profiles and see if something is different, but so far I haven't come across any accounts missing a massive number of posts that should be there. If there is something happening with these profiles we'll get it sorted.

May 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #890 of 1,792
May 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #891 of 1,792
i think we need to do some pool, or petition too bring back to old design. when yo usee the new site you just dont have the desire to be here, unpleasant and really odd. this will just make members run away.

May 2, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #892 of 1,792
...........search is still not working well.

Search so far is pretty dismal in general unless one can navigate to this page.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/search/14570/?searchform=1&
Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.43.53 AM.png

I keep it as a bookmark which is a bit silly as it should be embedded/available within each thread.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #893 of 1,792
May 2, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #895 of 1,792
has anyone raised this yet (apologies if it was) - but i currently can't change avatars. it does nothing. even if the avatar pixel size was already changed to 100 x 56 and it still doesn't load.

---------------

EDIT: switched to another thread and there it was! it did change but didn't reflect immediately.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #896 of 1,792
May 2, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #897 of 1,792
May 2, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #898 of 1,792
Being able to resize the text box when replying is another lost (and now requested by yours truly) feature.

May I ask why it is more convenient for you guys to use the "Threads I posted in" thingy instead of just enabling the "Subscribe when I post" option?
With the subscription you can choose which threads you don't want to follow anymore, can add threads you didn't post in and stuff. With the first option you are bound to one algorythm. :thinking: I don't see a bad thing in using subscriptions instead of one fixed thing.

Or didn't you use it before and now it's too much work to update?

I already answered this, more than once. Think about it. If you've posted in thousands of threads like I have, the situation becomes more complicated.

I rarely ever subscribed to threads. I used the full thread list to keep track of everything and could see every thread I've posted in organized in reverse chronological order, with how many new/unread posts there were for each thread, along with stats of each thread.

Now, I can't even find those threads unless I wade through countless posts in my own list of complete posts, and I have no way of knowing which ones have updates unless I manually browse each thread. That's just not something anyone should be willing to do.

I have been forced to resort to subscriptions for the threads that are most important to me...but alas, with the site update, new activity in threads has correspondingly dropped like flies. And forget about finding out which of all the other threads have updates...

Without this essential feature, the usability of the site has been slashed in half for myself and many others.

With over 64,000 posts, it's not surprising at all that he had nearly 700 deleted. Out of 17,000+, I had 229. My ratio is higher than his if you do the math.

@wink has compiled a list of the differences in post count since the transition for most all posters who have at least 8,000 posts, on this page, here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/dleewebb-breaks-55-000-posts-daylight-second.762993/page-24

That post was so epic I am going to share excerpts:

After the dog's breakfast resulting from the last forum update, it's become a nightmare trying to keep up with the stats, including some bright posters who hace restricted access to their profiles.

In view of the above, I will post a spreadsheet that will show approximately how many posts were lost .
There is a gap between the last time I updated the list on Tuesday Sydney time and when the forum was updated.
So, a couple or three days postings are missing.
Tough luck to serman005, moedawg140, DLeeWebb, Whitigir, TwinQy, wuwhere, Music Alchemist,and a few other prolific posters who will have to guesstimate the the posts they have posted in that interval and make the necessary elastic adjustments.

Alas poor thread, I knew it well.. Goodbye sweet thread... May angels with silver wings carry you to your eternal resting place within the depths of the dark and distant recesses of the database, perchance to suffer the ignomity and the cruel barbs of fate if perchance thou shouldst be necro-bumped by some buffoon newbie poster to these hallowed portals of esoteric and arcane profundity of knowledge and data derived from the plethora of educated posters who inhabit and ply their trade within this forum and the multitudinous threads in their vain attempt to illumine the great unwashed who also desecrate and sully all they post in with their drivel, rumour, illogicality and base stupidity under the ill-disguised mantle of news, reviews and personal opinions.
At least, the one saving grace is, that you do not inhabit the "Sound Science" section, thereby being spared the horrendous and barbaric slurs and outright nonsense which is the bane and doom of every thread whose ill-fated lot it is to be found there.
Adieu, dear thread, adieu........ :triportsad: :deadhorse:

I especially liked the shout-out to us crazies!

i think we need to do some pool, or petition too bring back to old design. when yo usee the new site you just dont have the desire to be here, unpleasant and really odd. this will just make members run away.

In a futile effort (because it's been stated repeatedly) to make this fact a bit more visible: for all intents and purposes, Huddler no longer exists, so the site cannot be reverted to the former version.

May 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #899 of 1,792
So, if you used the "Threads you posted in" it was sorted by the date YOU posted in it, instead of the actual newest posts, right?
But beside this, I still don't see why it's more convenient, than just using subscriptions from the start.
Of course starting now, when you never did, is not compelling.

May 2, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #900 of 1,792
So, if you used the "Threads you posted in" it was sorted by the date YOU posted in it, instead of the actual newest posts, right?
But beside this, I still don't see why it's more convenient, than just using subscriptions from the start.
Of course starting now, when you never did, is not compelling.

Correct.

I do not—and never did—wish to be subscribed to all of the threads I have posted in. Getting so many notifications is more than annoying. I want to be able to browse through the list of threads I've posted in and choose which ones to continue participating in. Now I don't even have a list in any practical sense.

And by the way... See what you did? You replied to my post without quoting or tagging me. I don't get notifications for that when I'm not subscribed to a thread. Without the list of threads, it isn't likely for me to see when people do that now, and I won't even be able to subscribe to the threads without easily finding them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back