New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #856 of 1,792
That is strange, I'm using the desktop version of the site, and I just clicked the button to subscribe to this thread at the top of the page and the page asked me if I want email notifications. Also, if you click "more options" below where you type your response, you are taken to a page that looks like my attached screenshot. If you look at that screenshot, you should notice the option is presented there as well.

Oh, wait, you're right. I had forgotten. It's all good, though. Not having the email notifications (and having everything instead be in the account alerts and subscriptions interfaces) is more convenient for me. But having the option to activate or deactivate email notifications for all subscribed threads would be convenient for others.

I bet you had a lot of picture/review views as well - hopefully that will also be returned - I don't even want to say how many views I had...posting quite a bit of pictures as a result - was fun...hopefully it will be fun to post pictures/reviews again in the future (with returned picture/review views).

I had well over 100,000 image views. But many (if not most) of the uploaded images on this site are gone.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #857 of 1,792
Oh, also, the option to turn on email alerts for all of your subscriptions is found under the settings tab labeled preferences, rather than alert preferences @Music Alchemist

I know, it doesn't make much sense.

May 2, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #858 of 1,792
I swear, my system sounds far better at night.

Oh, also, the option to turn on email alerts for all of your subscriptions is found under the settings tab labeled preferences, rather than alert preferences @Music Alchemist

I know, it doesn't make much sense.

And, not too surprisingly, I had actually unchecked that option and forgotten about it too, 'cause I'm a busy bee!

Multitasking will be the death of me. :innocent:

(My problem is that I do too many things at once and don't pay enough attention to any one thing.)

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #859 of 1,792
I've noticed that the draft auto-save function behaves rather intermittently. Occasionally, a notification will pop up saying that my draft has been auto-saved, but there is no predicting when this happens. I can't find anything in the code regarding a specific save interval or behaviour instantiating the auto-save. If I do, I will report back and edit it in this post later on. It's 60 seconds (see redactor.js). But even when it does reach that interval, the notification will not show up sometimes.

Research shows that the auto-save feature was integrated into core Xenforo in 2014, and was an add-on prior to this, so I doubt H-F staff can do much about this. I just wanted to bring it to attention, because sometimes posts are never auto-saved, even after minutes of writing/waiting. Meanwhile, people might want to keep in mind that they can manually save drafts. It's the third button from the right.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #860 of 1,792
Where is the link for New posts on any forum by chronological order ?
Please share it, i am not able to find it :frowning2:

May 2, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #862 of 1,792
I have a feeling I think I have a screen shot of Head Fi back when that worked. I used to have a HUGE issue with the adds on the web site, running my processor up to like 60%+ Load [from an idle] let me look for it. As I am 100% with you on that feature

Every thread we posted in, newest at the top, older threads listed below. And if ANY one responded you'd get a little Red Box with a number, I too used to scroll through that to get to all the threads I followed.

That was the feature I used the most on this website.

I would also really like the threads list on the profile page back. In the past, subscriptions used to be dog-slow, and I had to use it as an alternative. Ever since, it has been indispensible in noting updates to threads I no longer wish to subscribe to (due to post volume), but still want to keep track of every week/month or so.

These guys get it. I basically had my profile page bookmarked and used this section to keep track of everything that had happened while I was away. That was how I used Head-Fi mostly. That and searching occasionally for stuff I was interested in. I've managed to partially recreate this arrangement by bookmarking the All Subscribed Threads page, but it lacks the helpful little unread messages badges and necessitates subscribing to each thread, which is something I and others here don't necessarily want to do for every thread we post in.

May 2, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #863 of 1,792
If you upload an avatar that is not square now, it crops part of it to make it square, showing only a zoomed-in portion. Before, it would show it all, but smaller.

At the moment, when I reload the pages in my browser, it still doesn't update to the newly uploaded avatar...but if I go to a different browser, it shows up.

Edit: Clearing recent browser history updated it on my profile...but posts showed an old avatar and took a few minutes to show the new one.

One upside I noticed is that when you upload an image larger than the size the site resizes images to on profiles and in posts, there is no quality reduction with the resizing. Before, the way it resized things made images blurrier if you didn't upload them in the dimensions it displays them in.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #864 of 1,792
but it lacks the helpful little unread messages badges and necessitates subscribing to each thread, which is something I and others here don't necessarily want to do for every thread we post in.
Good news is that @AxelCloris mentioned earlier that they are working on those badges with # of unread posts.

May 2, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #865 of 1,792
You mean the thing I brought up that has been discussed today because it no longer exists? :confounded:

So we will never get the "New Post" link ? Headfi just lost 1 active member :frowning2:

May 2, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #866 of 1,792
So we will never get the "New Post" link ? Headfi just lost 1 active member :frowning2:

The way you worded it was a little ambiguous. I was talking about the list of threads previously on everyone's profile. The administration (that phrase sounds so official...lol) has indicated there will be a new posts badge added to the subscriptions interface in the future, and perhaps the aforementioned complete list of threads will be restored to its former glory as well.

May 2, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #868 of 1,792
Just discovered I'm not receiving notifications by E-Mail of "all" the threads I'm subscribed to. Haven't gotten a notification on any Schiit threads but Jot in several days. Something else for me to figure out, I thought these threads had all gone quiet with the migration and thought I was UTD on posts. Apparently not. Checked my settings on the threads and my personal settings and all appears okay, can't figure this out!

Going to my Subscriptions/All brought this to my attention.

Even at that however posting traffic seems to have really slowed down.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #869 of 1,792
Just discovered I'm not receiving notifications by E-Mail of "all" the threads I'm subscribed to. Haven't gotten a notification on any Schiit threads but Jot in several days. Something else for me to figure out, I thought these threads had all gone quiet with the migration and thought I was UTD on posts. Apparently not. Checked my settings on the threads and my personal settings and all appears okay, can't figure this out!

Did you go here and make sure the first two boxes were checked?

https://www.head-fi.org/f/account/preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back