New Grado Pad Mod that sounds great!
Aug 22, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it does tame treble alas on my hf2 maybe little too much (they already have tame treble) and went back to bowls.

Ive heard the hf1s were the grados that synergize best with bowls. They were probably tuned with the bowls in mind to begin with. So maybe the hf2s are the same way. Don't know

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 43
Nice idea and I tried it! But, unfortunately still doesn't beat my preference. I prefer Senn 414 pads with electrical tape around them, as goofy as that is. With this bowl mod, to my ears, the sound becomes thinner, bass decreases and the upper mids/treble comes out too much.

I like Grado's, in fact I love my HF-1's, but I can only listen to Grado's with these Senn 414 pads and maybe the flats. I'll be blunt - I can't stand any Grado with bowl's, even my HF-1's. People say the soundstage collapses with flats or the 414 pads but I still get a sense of soundstage and I can hear separation between instruments and voices. There is plenty of spatial qualities, dimension and the thrill of immersion, it's just not set in front of you. If you like Senn HD650 soundstaging with distance between you and the music set up for analysis then yeah, Grado has no soundstage, but that's just not my preference. I like to be immersed in the sound. The irony is with flats or the 414 pads on my HF-1's the spectrum and tone actually becomes much like that of an HD650 - warmer, controlled top end, full mids, smoother treble and big bass. Wrapping tape around the 414 pads makes the bass even better. I just simply can't find any other configuration I like. So, unfortunately this mod just doesn't work for me.
frown.gif

Whenever I see someone complain Grado's are too bright they always have bowls on them. Try flats or 414 pads, huge difference. If you have to have soundstaging set up for you to analyze then you may not get that with the flats or 414. Best stick with your HD650.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 43
Flats are also too dull for me. Tonality wise ad900s are my weapon of choice so yeah i like the sound crispy but not overdone like standard bowls do to most grados
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #21 of 43
Ah, I see. Yeah, much of this is personal preference. Thanks for posting this though. I had high hopes. I hate having yellow pads with electrical tape on my headphones. I have them on Grado's at work too and people think I'm nuts.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 43
This is an interesting mod!

I tried it with my SR225i's and I like it. I like it a lot. The bass does increase and the upper mids/treble does come down a bit.

I need to listen a bit longer before I comment definitively.

Thanks for the tip!

jk

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting mod!

I tried it with my SR225i's and I like it. I like it a lot. The bass does increase and the upper mids/treble does come down a bit.

I need to listen a bit longer before I comment definitively.

Thanks for the tip!

jk

BTW, this takes a bit of practice to get the shape correct. The bowls are certainly not designed for this type of abuse.

Surprisingly, the comfort is fine.

jk

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #25 of 43
I just tried reversed flats, and it actually sounds really close to the inside out bowls. I'm surprised I've never heard of that configuration either. It also looks similar, shows a bit of the mount around the driver. It sounds warmer and more closed in then the inside out bowls. I'd say we have a real progression here, I'll make a little list. This goes from warmer, less treble, more bass, less soundstage in the beginning, to more treble, more air, less/tighter bass at the end

flats
reversed flats
reversed bowls
inside out bowls
HD414 pads
bowls
bagels (this is just a guess)

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #26 of 43
I think I misunderstood. Disregard.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 43
This looks interesting. I'm about to try this now.

currently, the best and most comfortable fit i've had is with 414 pads and a reverse quarter mod

the actual mod is a lot easier then i first though, i had assumed that i would get it wrong. but i got them both right and they sound fantastic

I'll try this and see how it compares comfort and sound wise, though i have 225i's and i find the bass satisfactory as is.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #29 of 43
Hmm, while I like this mod a lot, it does seem to have one possibly fatal flaw. That is, the pads, at least mine, seem to continually want to "roll" back into their natural position. They seem to mis-form very quickly, which, ruins the sound advantage and comfort. I am constantly re-adjusting them.

Did anyone else have this issue?

Too bad bowl replacements are so expensive ($20), I would just buy a couple pairs and take an X-Acto knife to them and cut the bowl edges down to a similar height. The effect would probably be the same in terms of sound.

jk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back