New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Jan 15, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #166 of 528
So, I had one of the Conductor 3Xs, and there was hiss. I sent it back, and they sent me a new one that has no hiss, and sounds great! However, when it is in the "High" output position, it is really loud on my Audeze LCD-XCs, even on the "1" volume position. I have had an original Conductor, and the Conductor 2, and the volume starts off nice and low, and climbs as expected upon turning the volume knob. The Conductor 3X is silent at "0", but quite loud at "1". Also, as you turn to climb to 2,3, 4, etc., the difference between them is minimal, and the volume does not climb as expected, and seem soft. I have only used the Audeze with an XLR cable. I can use the "Low" position to address this, but the volume climb is still kinda soft, and I wonder if I am degrading the signal at all, or at least not optimizing it by having it set to "Low", not taking the advantage of the massive overhead the amplifier portion this box has. Does anyone have any experience with this?

As for the device, the 3X has super solid construction, is quite good looking, and the volume knob feels like something on a solid medical medical instrument. I have not played with the Sabre chip settings, but it sounds very detailed and smooth from my early listenings. Tons of power. DO NOT connect the XLR outputs to RCA adapters without using a Jensen ISO-MAX in between. The manual says it will blow the op-amps if you do. I like this box, but the volume issue is keeping me from loving it.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #167 of 528
So, I had one of the Conductor 3Xs, and there was hiss. I sent it back, and they sent me a new one that has no hiss, and sounds great! However, when it is in the "High" output position, it is really loud on my Audeze LCD-XCs, even on the "1" volume position. I have had an original Conductor, and the Conductor 2, and the volume starts off nice and low, and climbs as expected upon turning the volume knob. The Conductor 3X is silent at "0", but quite loud at "1". Also, as you turn to climb to 2,3, 4, etc., the difference between them is minimal, and the volume does not climb as expected, and seem soft. I have only used the Audeze with an XLR cable. I can use the "Low" position to address this, but the volume climb is still kinda soft, and I wonder if I am degrading the signal at all, or at least not optimizing it by having it set to "Low", not taking the advantage of the massive overhead the amplifier portion this box has. Does anyone have any experience with this?

As for the device, the 3X has super solid construction, is quite good looking, and the volume knob feels like something on a solid medical medical instrument. I have not played with the Sabre chip settings, but it sounds very detailed and smooth from my early listenings. Tons of power. DO NOT connect the XLR outputs to RCA adapters without using a Jensen ISO-MAX in between. The manual says it will blow the op-amps if you do. I like this box, but the volume issue is keeping me from loving it.
Same here, on high gain XLR ouput, volume from 0 to 1 goes from dead quiet to quite large volume. Since my listening volumne normally from 2 to 5, so I not so care about it. But I think it is a problem for some others.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #168 of 528
Same here, on high gain XLR ouput, volume from 0 to 1 goes from dead quiet to quite large volume. Since my listening volumne normally from 2 to 5, so I not so care about it. But I think it is a problem for some others.
But this is why the digital attenuator (the gain from the LCD menu) exists, just switch it to LOW instead of HIGH and this resolves the issue.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #169 of 528
But this is why the digital attenuator (the gain from the LCD menu) exists, just switch it to LOW instead of HIGH and this resolves the issue.
Sure, but what about the advantage of high overhead in the amplification stage? Why was this not a problem on both the original Conductor, and the Conductor II? I see it as a clear issue.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #170 of 528
I see your point, but my CV2+ has half of the power of C3X, so C3X has twice more amplification. Simply put, C3X is a monster, being one of the most powerful headamps in the world at this moment, hence the need to adjust the digital gain from the menu when using sensitive headphones.

However, for an easier and visual operation, I do hope that future powerful headamps from Burson will have a gain-adjust switch on the front panel (although I'm fine with existing gain from LCD menu). Or maybe a separate jack with a lower internal gain for use with sensitive headphones (safe operation and lower background noise too).

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #172 of 528
Hi Selva,

Could you please be more specific?

Below is the THD graph (0.0019%) and the freq. response which is flat from 20Hz till 22KHz (white noise swipe test).

Microphone_input_1KHz_THD+N.png Microphone_input_white-noise_freq-response.png

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #174 of 528
I just got an iFi EarBuddy and worth mentioning that it works absolutely marvellous with C3X and there's absolutely zero background noise now, tested with KZ AS10, KZ ZSX and Superlux HD381F. It has a bit over 18 Ohms of input impedance and less than 4 Ohms output impedance and tested with 22 Ohms KZ AS10 (2 Ohms are the cables, 20 Ohms are the headphones) it doesn't change the sound at all. I've also tested it with basshead songs, but also with 30 Hz sinewaves.

I totally recommend iMatch or EarBuddy with C3 or any desktop headamp. With highly sensitive IEMs like KZ AS10 or KZ ZSX (about 130dB/V sensitivity) even my very-low noise Objective2 amplifier that works in unity-gain starts having hiss-noise after passing 12 o'clock (no inputs connected).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #179 of 528
THX amplifiers have very neutral sound. C3X sounds more musical, it adds some coloration to sound.
I prefer C3X but it is subjective.

C3X doesn't sound any different than Topping DX7Pro when they are used as DACs with THX 887.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back