New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Apr 11, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,651 of 1,838
Any idea how would Polaris work with MrSpeakers AEON?
I remember reading posts that Ether and Polaris wouldn't match well and they are from same "house".
Although AEON is easier to drive (AEON 14ohm 97dB/mW /ETHER C 22ohms 92dB/mW)

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,652 of 1,838
The Polaris amp is not the quietest amp out there. You might be able to get it to work using an adapter that Jeremy sells for very efficient/sensitive cans. 

I heard some hissing with my current setup to give you an idea. 
Ubuntu 14.04/Tidal Hifi/Master > Wyrd > Modi 2 Uber > Project Polaris > beyerdynamic T5P (v1) [I'm using PYST usb cables, which I highly recommend]

The noise is reduced with higher output impedance. With the adapter, the noise drops completely.

P.S.: I realize that I make it sound as if the noise is very loud. It is NOT, it's very faint and you may not be able to hear it. In my setup you need to be actively trying to hear it

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,653 of 1,838
I'm finding a very strange thing using my (awesome) Polaris amp. My setup is as follows:
Ubuntu 14.04/Tidal Hifi/Master > Wyrd > Modi 2 Uber > Project Polaris > Beyerdynamic T5P (v1)

Noise: very low without adapter, disappears with adapter.

If instead of streaming from my laptop I connect my Axon 7 or Nexus 9 via OTG cables there is very noticeable hiss (a constant "sh sh sh sh"). Now here's the interesting thing, when I hover my hand over the Polaris  or when I touch it the hissing intensifies. This does not happen when the source is my computer.

I don't think this is interference coming to the amp from the phone/tablet because I can leave my phone right next to the amp and I don't get noise when the source is my computer. Note that I'm using two different OTG cables (USB-C for Axon 7, micro USB for Nexus 9). Furthermore, I didn't get noise when I was using my previous amp, the Modi 2. Interesting, no?

Any ideas what the blip is going on here? :) 

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,654 of 1,838
Wanted to chime in and give a shoutout to the Topping D30 DAC as being a good pairing for the Project Polaris. It's very transparent and lets the amp do its job. Very pleased with the pair. And very happy about the convenient footprint to allow for a decent stack on my desk!

Jeremy had sent me a new opamp chip for my motherboard buuuut I snafu'd it. The chip cracked and the resulting damage made my motherboard sound unusable. I decided to try the Topping D30 because I heard it was a good XMOS unit for the money. The Polaris offers so much character and is a wonderful amp - the DAC just lets the amp do its job.

iOZ8TFL.jpg

May 24, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,655 of 1,838
Just received my Polaris and have two setups now. Will keep only one of them: schiit Modi Multibit/Polaris or Bifrost Multibit/Jotunheim.

Attachments

• IMG_8958.JPG
    IMG_8958.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,658 of 1,838
I've been using the Polaris for a week, and I absolutely love it! I compared it on the HE400I to my O2 and Schiit Vali 1, and it's definitely better than both of them - with much sweeter mids, control over bass, and non-harsh highs, and separation. The differences are relatively small, but I have a feeling that with more demanding headphones the Polaris will shine way more - as they have way more power than I need right now. I can see absolutely nothing wrong with it - and if it matches well with the HD6XX incoming in December, it looks like endgame for me!

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,660 of 1,838
You're in for a treat. The HD650-Polaris is a great pairing. Very sweet mid and treble, and a very dynamic bass. Plus, you can change the Polaris damping factor to adjust how euphonic you want your headphones to sound. I was using the Polaris to drive my HD650 for a year before upgrading to an Auralic Taurus MKII at 5 times the price for a tiny improvement. Nowadays I'm using the Polaris for my planars.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,662 of 1,838
The settings are on the sides - it's called output impedance. You can set the jumpers at either low, medium, or high.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #1,663 of 1,838
Change the output resistors via the jumpers that are provided... No major modifications required.
Damping factor is basically the ratio of the source impedance to the load impedance.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,665 of 1,838
It is not called damping factor... it is the output impedance that you are changing. But that changes the ratio, which IS the damping factor.
In theory it should not change too much with a Planar headphone other than the output level.
The technicalities:
http://eaw.com/amplifier-damping-factor-more-is-better-or-is-it/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back