New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Aug 9, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,531 of 1,838
  Now I've settled on a nice tube (6SN7EH) for my Sunrise, I thought I'd try and get my Polaris to sound similar.  Currently my settings are W/AM (30k), Medium Bandwidth (mellow version), Medium Gain, Medium Output Resistance.  I feel this strikes the right balance of gain, channel separation, warmth, reverberation & treble smoothness.  I still prefer the Sunrise, but it's pretty close.

PC (24bit 44.1k USB) -> Schiit Bifrost 4490 -> Polaris -> Sennheiser HD598's

It's hard to define the typical sound of G1217 tube amps as, besides tube rolling, they can be configured in so many other ways too to suit your sonic requirements.

Polaris, unlike most SS amps, is also very configurable but it's underlying sound signature is closer to 'tube sound' than most SS amps.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #1,532 of 1,838

Polaris, unlike most SS amps, is also very configurable but it's underlying sound signature is closer to 'tube sound' than most SS amps.

Which is why I like it so and why it was for me the right upgrade from the Vali 1.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,533 of 1,838
  Which is why I like it so and why it was for me the right upgrade from the Vali 1.

I'm very pleased Polaris was the correct upgrade for you.

I see you have the HD600, I use them a lot too- perfect synergy with Polaris.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #1,535 of 1,838
  really about to order the aluminum case to replace my see-through version. anyone with the solid Aluminum cover can post a pic? 
biggrin.gif

See my listing for some close up pictures 
biggrin.gif
 Letting mine go, lovely amp but want to focus on my portable setup

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816703/garage1217-project-polaris-headphone-amplifier-aluminum-chassis

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,538 of 1,838
And now I've moved into the lossless vs compressed music stage of my rabbit hole ... The same tracks really do sound better as local FLACs than streamed files, don't they? Yay, fidelity! Boo, tempted to buy more stuff!

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #1,539 of 1,838
And now I've moved into the lossless vs compressed music stage of my rabbit hole ... The same tracks really do sound better as local FLACs than streamed files, don't they? Yay, fidelity! Boo, tempted to buy more stuff!

To me lossy compressed music sounds softer than Flac. Hard to put the finger on individual aspects, but I can really tell when listening to, e.g., acoustic guitars. All my cds have been ripped to flac :)

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,540 of 1,838
I just want to say that this amp sounds fine with my HD 800. I have it paired with a modi multibit and the HD 800 sounds noticeably better on it compared to my previous headphones (T50rp & modded HD 700). You can definitely notice the increase in imaging, detail, and soundstage abilities. I heard it for like 5 minutes on the bifrost and vahalla combo which sounds a bit fuller, but then it was only for 5 minutes so take that with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: I am also listening to it with the superdupont mod and an impact audio copper cable that came with my purchase. I don't hear any treble issues or thinness. So far I am confused about why people think this is such a bright phone. On the other hand, the modi multibit, project polaris, superdupont mod, and copper cable all increases warm by a bit so maybe that's why.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,542 of 1,838
Im being a little lazy here I know, but can anyone point me to a Canadian source for LED's for the Polaris (white or White/Blue)? Maybe a link?
From what I gathered from this thread I'm looking for 1.9 - 3.2V 3/8"  LED's,  yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back