New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Sep 29, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,562 of 1,838
Hey,

I was very curious to know how the Polaris could compete against higher gear because i felt the LCD-2 was not at his best with the Polaris, so i bought the Lake People G109, wich has great reputation and...oh my god, the Polaris get trounced in every possible way. It's less fun sounding okay, less "in your face" but it's more neutral and the same time more natural, better resolution, soundstage is better, better extension in high, better instrument separation...i was regarding the Polaris as an excellent amp and somehow disregarding higher gear thinking the upgrade was not worth it but in my opinion, yes. At least if you have quality headphones.

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,563 of 1,838
theres always better amps, i think for the price and for a starter like me's first amp with my 400i's was a great deal, its pairing praise is what sold me on it, thats the whole ladder/money sucking part of the hobby i guess always better out there 
triportsad.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,564 of 1,838
Soon to come .....

The Kameleon filter. Basically an eq unit dedicated to your headphone following measurements by Solderdude. He measures headphone response and then makes a circuit that is plug and play to fit into the Kameleon.

I use an hd650 with it. The Kameleon slightly brightens the top end by reducing the mid bass hump and also boosting the really low bass.

The result is pretty amazing.

The Kameleon can be just linked to the Garage amps without power supply, or for other amps, it will need a supply.

I've been using a Kameleon for over a year now and find it difficult to accept headphones with proper sub bass or massive peaks until I re-burn my head in again.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,565 of 1,838
Soon to come .....

The Kameleon filter. Basically an eq unit dedicated to your headphone following measurements by Solderdude. He measures headphone response and then makes a circuit that is plug and play to fit into the Kameleon.

I use an hd650 with it. The Kameleon slightly brightens the top end by reducing the mid bass hump and also boosting the really low bass.

The result is pretty amazing.

The Kameleon can be just linked to the Garage amps without power supply, or for other amps, it will need a supply.

I've been using a Kameleon for over a year now and find it difficult to accept headphones with proper sub bass or massive peaks until I re-burn my head in again.

Is there any evidence that the G1217 version of this is coming out soon? It seems like they've been planning it forever. Also, I'm not really clear on what advantage this has over a software EQ.

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,566 of 1,838
It might see the light of day at the end of October.

It's a fixed type of eq, that has been based on actual measurements of the headphones. No guesswork.

Solderdude has made some quite a while back. He uses one and a few other members of DIY Audio Heaven. I have one as well, except the ones that we have are discrete amps with the circuit inside them. So just one unit.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #1,567 of 1,838
I bought one of the prototypes that resulted from the design phase. 

My HE400i sound much bette with the filterr: added sub-bass, damped the peak at 8 kHz and slightly corrected the response decay in the treeble. Basically, The FR curve looks much flatter now: http://diyah.boards.net/post/18449/thread

The change is pretty substantial and for good!

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,570 of 1,838
Oct 3, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,571 of 1,838
So if you have a Garage1217 amp already, what do you need to add Kameleon? Do you need the dock thing or just a module or what?

If you have a G1217 amp, you can buy the Kameleon in-line filter without the power supply + the desired filter modules. It will be powered from your G1217 amp's power supply and feed the amp itself though a pass-through cable. In the web it is not clear if one filter module is included with the Kameleon or not, but I am sure Jeremy will answer that question rapidly.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,572 of 1,838
If you have a G1217 amp, you can buy the Kameleon in-line filter without the power supply + the desired filter modules. It will be powered from your G1217 amp's power supply and feed the amp itself though a pass-through cable. In the web it is not clear if one filter module is included with the Kameleon or not, but I am sure Jeremy will answer that question rapidly.

I'm almost certain that I'm going to get a Kameleon. I've asked this in a certain forum, but I'm wondering if I can buy a PCU version of Kameleon and still use it passively. Basically, I want them to put out a Phillips X2 module so my girlfriend can use it with her setup too, but she's using a Schiit Magni OG. I also want the PSU so I can take the Kameleon with me if at any point I use a non-G1217 amp. However, while I have a G1217 amp, can I run it in passive 'mode' or is it one or the other?

Thanks to anyone who knows this!

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,574 of 1,838
  Had the same question for Jeremy.

Apparently you can buy the pass-through version of the Kameleon, and purchase the power supply separately down the road.

I got the answer on...um...Voldemort. But now it seems that because I have focus pads, the filter may not work correctly.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,575 of 1,838
Very interested in what you find out, @DisasterMouse . We have practically the same setup :slight_smile:. I have modded vegan pads, replacing my prior focus pads (A).

I'm very close to getting an Ether to see if I can get a bit more richness/warmth in bass and lower miss. But I saw that announcement started considering the Kameleon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back