New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #706 of 1,838
Interesting. Hope the final product can be released soon.

I don't see any place it can be fit into Ember tho. Hope there's a way.

If you talk to Frans again, please mention about filters for hd800. Need some help on the treble there
smily_headphones1.gif

I found my fav tube for hd800 now, i find 12au7 has the most gentle lower treble for 800 while still maintain its sparly and airyness. Very nice and spacey.

It will not fit the Ember, will be separate module that will go between the source and the Garage1217 amps. As far as I know the design for the filter module is ready.
You can talk with Frans yourself if you register at diyah boards. 
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #707 of 1,838
Interesting. Hope the final product can be released soon.

I don't see any place it can be fit into Ember tho. Hope there's a way.

If you talk to Frans again, please mention about filters for hd800. Need some help on the treble there :)
I found my fav tube for hd800 now, i find 12au7 has the most gentle lower treble for 800 while still maintain its sparly and airyness. Very nice and spacey.

Redbull, if you come onto our forum, he's there every day. Been chatting with him this morning since he's made a SeNNator for me. Jeremy is also a member. Myself, Frans and Javier are the moderators.

I don't think Frans did an HD800 filter although he recognises that the hd800 might be improved by one. What he does is measure the frequency response of headphones and creates a circuit that targets peaks and creates an opposite frequency response curve in order to get them as close to flat as possible. The less to alter, the better the results. First of all, he sometimes tries to fix peaks with physical alterations. He's done absolute marvels for a cheap Philips Cityscape. They are fantastic after just physical alterations.

In order to get the filter right, he needs to measure the headphone response and I don't think he's measured an HD800 yet.

My HD650 is sublime with filter. The depth of the bass is truly outstanding and he's also shaved off the mid bass hump. Not touched the treble, but the result is outstanding. It becomes clearer in the top because the mid bass hump has gone and the thwack that you can get in the bass is awesome.

It caused me to completely shift my expectations of headphones after 45 years of listening on headphones. Not much gets close. It resulted in me buying a th900 actually, but I still return to the Senns as my reference.

Try this .... Small forum but really nice guys and much more 'intimate' atmosphere tbh. You're really welcome. Your avatar is a bit scary though!!! :wink:

http://diyah.boards.net

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #708 of 1,838
Thanks Ian, I will join the forum. But i am not a diy-er tho. Still relevant?

Hahaha. I love watching movies and Joker, particularly in The Dark Knight, plays very nicely. He 'sucked' me into the movie. It sad that he commited suicide.
Don't worry i wont bite, hahaha.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #709 of 1,838
No, it's not really so much diy as diy help really. Frans is an absolutely top notch guy. Extremely informative and helpful on the headphone modding side and of course, his designing of the Garage amps. He's totally changed my outlook on headphone listening. (Possibly his own too!!)

What he's achieved with the hd650 is just outstanding and would hold you back from buying an ultra expensive high end headphone tbh.

Not only that, but he has modded some Philips cheapies to a standard you just wouldn't believe. He's selling two that he's done as well.

My listening has really gone up a long way since knowing Frans.

There's also Javier who does computer based music and I do the music section because I'm a musician.

It's a small forum but actually, I quite like that about it as well.

I'm known as the Rabbit on there. (Cos I talk a lot) :wink:

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #711 of 1,838
Well Jeremy is really a kick-a** guy! He fixed my amp and gave it a bit of an upgrade! Here is what he sent me:

Changed out the MKT caps to Wimas which is what we use currently (very quiet caps - excellent DC blockers
Changed out the volpot / no more scratch or issues of course
Cleaned / detailed / Tested

All I can say is I'm extremely stoked to get it home and try it out!

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #713 of 1,838

+2
He has never been less than great to deal with for me!

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #714 of 1,838
+3 He's one of the good guys.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #717 of 1,838
  Is there anyway to get these in Europe without getting customs-rapped ?

You can send email to Jeremy and ask.

I'm listening to my Polaris with HD 650, it is such a wonderful match. 
L3000.gif

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #720 of 1,838

I dont see want can they do, unless they send me a different invoice that avoids customs charges, ill have a talk with them, thanks!

Customs in my country don't even trust those invoices, you have to provide the proof of the cost (e.g. from the webshop) and the proof of your payment (e.g. Paypal receipt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back