NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #917 of 974
Jan 1, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #918 of 974
Wife bought me Omega Headphone Stand for Birthday! Very Nice!
New Stand by Hilton, on Flickr
Only issue I have with most "Omega" style stands it that most put the ear pads in constant compression which I've notice will cause the pads to deteriorate faster but yours looks gorgeous and a nice match for your TH610

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #919 of 974
Wife bought me Omega Headphone Stand for Birthday! Very Nice!
New Stand by Hilton, on Flickr

My problem with all stands is the dust. I had a few and got rid of them. I bought a cabinet:
Gear on top, small stuff in the drawer and headphones inside.

Not as pretty, but very functional. :relaxed:

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #920 of 974
Anyone have both TH-X00 mahogany and TH-610 and can give comparison in both sound and stock pads comfort?

Reason I am asking is I have a pair for x00 (actually I have two, one for sale) and the stock pads aren't doing it for me. Too small opening and congested soundstage. I tried pad rolling third party options and it always changes the sound. I was reading the th610 pads do not change the x00 sound and are slightly bigger and more comfy. But they're pretty expensive pads so I can just pay a little more and trade in my th-x00 for a th-610. Any thoughts?

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #921 of 974
My problem with all stands is the dust. I had a few and got rid of them. I bought a cabinet:
Gear on top, small stuff in the drawer and headphones inside.

Not as pretty, but very functional. :relaxed:

Smart move. I ended up installing a shelving unit inside my sliding-door closet and then putting headphone stands on the shelves in there. And, another stand on my desk for the in-use headphones. Keeps them dust free and every time I open that closet door it's like my own personal Narnia.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #922 of 974
Smart move. I ended up installing a shelving unit inside my sliding-door closet and then putting headphone stands on the shelves in there. And, another stand on my desk for the in-use headphones. Keeps them dust free and every time I open that closet door it's like my own personal Narnia.

My cabinet isn't that big. It does have one shelf that I am going to pull out. I bought some adhesive-backed hooks which I will be putting inside. It will hold eight separate sets snugly. I will be selling some sets in the New Year. :smile:

20210102_122501.jpg20210102_122605~2.jpg

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #925 of 974
I am considering TH610 as an upgrade from AKG K550 which I really like for some relaxing listening. Are those headphones similiar?

Similarish... More of a midbass hump and more subbass and brighter top end on AKG 550s compared with stock TH610.
AKGs might be quite bright as the TH610 is right on the cusp for me. With the Lawton Chamber mod the TH610 sub-bass is much more extended like the AKG and the treble is very slight bit softer at 6k.

TH610 are a tiny bit easier to drive but there's nothing in it really.

The TH610 also technically have a very slightly cleaner square wave and impulse response which suggests they may sound a little clearer, cleaner with better attack and rythym than the AKGs.

The only other thing I can't tell from comparison data, is how the imaging differs, as I dont own a pair of AKGs to confirm. But it's known the TH610 has way better than average imaging for closed back compared to other closed backs if that matters to you.

My suggestion is try both out if you can as my experience is personal preferances weigh-in much more on these types of decisions than specs alone.
Hope that helps.

1611727995919.png

1611728483706.png

1611728683627.png

1611728729956.png

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #928 of 974
Bought an iFi iDSD Signature to use around the house.

These cans definitely benefit from having at least 1000mw driving them that’s for sure. 4100mw on tap, more than enough!

More snap, punch and control and less distortion is really noticeable. Can listen much much louder than I should be because they sound so clear. If anyone is thinking of changing their cans maybe buy a decent higher end amp if you’ve got an entry level Amp. I wouldn’t call RME ADI-2 I have as entry level mind you, but headphone amp stage is a little light on compared to this beast. The ifi has really woken them up.

Only get upto 96k with a chromecast but that’s good enough for 90% of my music.

Have a small battery pack powering the chromecast. Nice to have something a bit easier to move around the house than the RME. I can’t believe how much better it sounds than the fiio Q5S tc with the THX amp. I also checked out the ifi diablo and it was a little less warmer (cooler sounding) than the signature but otherwise very similar.

This is the best I've been able to come up with using the bits I had in my collection to make the ifi iDSD Signature tether free from the phone or tablet.

It's even pocketable in my shorts without any trouble so I can walk around the house untethered to my phone.

Couple right angle mini TOSLINKs to take pressure off the connections and a mini battery pack strapped on with short TOSLINK cable.

Can probably make it even more compact with some custom cables and enclosure for the chromecast. Still pretty happy to have some mobility with the stuff I had laying around.
50964917836_1f08b81792_c.jpg

50965021932_9865557666_c.jpg

50964206598_e61a4f6f0e_c.jpg

50964206593_6e50acea2a_c.jpg

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #929 of 974
The Bass in God is a Woman (Ariana Grande), Dancing With a Stranger (Sam Smith) and Magic (Kylie Minogue) .....are.... SUBLIME with the Black Limba's and the iFi iDSD on normal gain @ 1 o'clock on the volume dial! This is how POP music should sound. MAGIC. :yum Loud in yer face and thumping.

That's where type 1 or 2 woods truly rock! Type 4 Wild Chechen can't compete with the kick, power and warmth of the Type 1 Black Limba where you just wanna feel da bass... and that's without flicking the xBass or 3D switch on the Amp. Type 4 with the xBass come close to the Type 1 but still lacking a little warmth. They are still great though for rock or more complex music, or Jazz where you need a little more articulation in the bass.

iFi iDSD Signature - TH610 Lawton Black Limba by Hilton, on Flickr

Intimacy of Wild Chechen with Hoff Ensemble - Polarity..
iFi micro iDSD Signature TH610 by Hilton, on Flickr

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #930 of 974
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back