NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones
Jul 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #706 of 974
A portable music convention held in Akihabara of Tokyo.
https://mainichi.jp/articles/20170716/gnw/00m/040/005000c (near the bottom of page)
There is not much information, other than that it will be a bit pricier than 610. The final price, release date, and actual model number (placeholder numbered TH6xx) are all TBA.

https://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/516/1516066/
And according to the report here, while the construction is most finalized, they are still in the process to determine what sound signature they are after, so the reporter didn't even bother to mention how it sounded for now.
Awesome info! I've lived in Japan for 5 years and go back now and then. Still working on my Japanese haha.

I'm not surprised they went for a higher price. More craftsmanship to get it open like that. Although a lot of people were turned off by 610's price, I don't know how they feel about this one since the massdrops are still very popular.

Still curious about the sound since the 610s already have a decent soundstage for closed cans. Inb4 someone starts cutting holes in their fostex TH models haha.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #707 of 974
Just got a pair of TH610s. You folks weren't kidding about how great they sound or the build quality.

After trying out a number of alternate pads I had lying around I went back to stock. The added sound stage and 'where have my ears gone?' comfort improvements weren't worth the change in sound presentation and the stock pads are still pretty comfy.

I swear I totally have a use for all these headphones I seem to have accumulated...

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #708 of 974
I recently picked up a pair of these and love them. So comfortable. To me, they are how I would definte neutral. Nothing overpowering anything else but all present. Love the wood cups too.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #709 of 974
Got some more ear pads in the mail and tested them out with the TH610.

As some people have mentioned in discussions with other Fostex variants the ZMF Eikon pads are a shockingly good choice. Comfort is sublime and the bass response & soundstage is almost stock. Or close enough I find it hard to tell the difference if I squeeze my eyes and try to pretend - so those are a highly recommended option. Originally used a home made dense cardboard attenuation ring to mimic the stock pads a bit - made a big difference with regards to channeling the air movement. I now have the Dekoni made versions so I don't need them any more and my ears are slightly closer to the drivers as a result, which is a small but welcome improvement.

I also bought Dekoni sheepskin TH900 earpads to try out but uh... I tried them out on my Final Audio Sonorous IIIs first and they aren't leaving them now. They were perfect there. So I guess I need to order another set later on.

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #710 of 974
Fostex is modifying TH610 into open type. (prototype shown)
20170716-i01-28.jpg

Now color me REALLY INTERESTED.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #711 of 974
I'm a huge fan of the TH-610. Now I can't wait to hear the open-back version!

Hopefully it will have the same kind of excellent bass response that the TH-610 has, but that will be pretty tricky to pull off with an open-back design.

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #712 of 974
I am really leaning towards this headphone, My first set of real cans, I was going to go with the hd650, but I dunno, Couple of questions, How do these fair with Synthwave, Female vocals, Some rock, like Tool, Jazz, Classical, pretty much everything besides country. Acoustic included. Also, How is the clamp, I like a firm clamp, That is quite important to me, I also love listening to video game and movie soundtracks. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #713 of 974
I am really leaning towards this headphone, My first set of real cans, I was going to go with the hd650, but I dunno, Couple of questions, How do these fair with Synthwave, Female vocals, Some rock, like Tool, Jazz, Classical, pretty much everything besides country. Acoustic included. Also, How is the clamp, I like a firm clamp, That is quite important to me, I also love listening to video game and movie soundtracks. Any help would be appreciated.

I really like female vocals and acoustics on the 610, really clear imaging. Although rock still has something to desire because i listen to rock with grados. But it does the job well. Some rock songs I actually prefer that semi-closed intimacy.

I found the clamp to be good and firm, but I wouldn't say tight. Then again I've been using it with dekoni sheepskin pads which are thicker. There's an article floating around the web comparing the THX00, X00 ebony, and 610, and if I remember correctly it mentions 610 having firmer clamp than the others... I think.

Aug 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #714 of 974
The clamp is firm but definitely not tight - but they are very light so it's a non factor. Won't slip off if you move your head about if that's the concern.

As far as genres for the TH610, I can go straight from Carpenter Brut or Pertubator to King Crimson without changing a single setting so I think you'll be good. Imaging and sound stage are excellent.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #716 of 974
Good day everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone can do a comparison between the Fostex TH-610 and the Sennheiser HD-650 series?
I can't decide between the two.
Also, I'm coming from a LCD-2 Rev. 2.2 Pre-fazor headphone. I love that type of sound signature.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Please also consider this: which one is more 'fun'?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #717 of 974
Good day everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone can do a comparison between the Fostex TH-610 and the Sennheiser HD-650 series?
I can't decide between the two.
Also, I'm coming from a LCD-2 Rev. 2.2 Pre-fazor headphone. I love that type of sound signature.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Please also consider this: which one is more 'fun'?
There is a new Sennheiser HD660S available now.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #719 of 974
We don't really know which kind of music you listen to... But coming from those planars, you'll find the Senns to be too "downtempo" imho.

I've owned the hd650s and currently have the Fostexs. If you're looking for "speedier, funnier" headphones, the TH610s are your choice.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #720 of 974
We don't really know which kind of music you listen to... But coming from those planars, you'll find the Senns to be too "downtempo" imho.

I've owned the hd650s and currently have the Fostexs. If you're looking for "speedier, funnier" headphones, the TH610s are your choice.

I listen to gaming OST's, electronica, minimal techno, alternative rock, techno, orchestral and ambient most recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back