New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Available now!
Nov 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #331 of 583
Here is a review by Steve Guttenberg:  http://www.cnet.com/news/absolutely-sublime-fostex-th500rp-headphones/

I like his reviews a lot and usually whenever I've bought stuff that he's recommended I've never been disappointed.

He states this may be the best sounding headphone in its price class and sounds fuller and richer than HiFiMan 560 and Audeze 2.  I might have to check these out.

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #332 of 583
Nov 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #333 of 583
While I value Steve Guttenbergs reviews, this one reads like he heard a completely different headphone from the one I heard... Kick or power are not owes that came to my mind I have to say. On the other hand I could not warm up to the HE-560 either, so it's maybe something out of my range of interests. Really interesting how different we all hear and enjoy music.

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #334 of 583
Well, I'll have to hear it myself.

I've heard and owned plenty of these so called "audiophile" headphones and other gear, most of them were an absolute disappointment.  I couldn't believe people would pay that type of money for a product that didn't sound any better than one that costs 1/10th the price of that.  But that's for another topic.

Audiophile world has a bunch of snake oil bs.  You gotta do your research and separate the bs from the facts :).

Steven Guttenberg's reviews are a little more sane.  He talks about the product itself instead of cables and power plugs :).

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #335 of 583
  Here is a review by Steve Guttenberg:  http://www.cnet.com/news/absolutely-sublime-fostex-th500rp-headphones/

I like his reviews a lot and usually whenever I've bought stuff that he's recommended I've never been disappointed.

He states this may be the best sounding headphone in its price class and sounds fuller and richer than HiFiMan 560 and Audeze 2.  I might have to check these out.

Too bad Fostex forgot to add a low end to the TH500RP!

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #337 of 583
They don't. They do lack boom and bloat, which some consider to be "good bass extension" I guess.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #338 of 583
  They don't. They do lack boom and bloat, which some consider to be "good bass extension" I guess.

I looked forward to these phones for months, and I was never so disappointed in a pair of headphones in my life!  Their utter lack of a low end was beyond belief for a planar from Fostex, or any other mfg for that matter.  When I returned them to Headphone.com, Mike totally agreed with my opinion, and he said they were getting a lot of them returned!

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #339 of 583
  Well, if these headphones are lacking in bass then they're definitely out of the equation for me.

In the end you can only decide that for yourself. To my ears they are not suited to genres I tend to listen to on headphones. And while I'm definitely no basshead to me they lack both extension and authority. I can imagine they might fit some peoples taste in music and/or sound signature, but I think they are not generic enough to cater to a wide audience, but have a rather specific voicing.

I still can't relate to Steve Guttenbergs review and wonder whether a different amp would make that much of a difference... I listened to the TH500 on Fostex' own HP-A8 as noted above. I know that amp as being not too bass-heavy and a good pairing for the TH900, which I tend to find overpowering with other amps. Maybe the V281 would give a whole different picture, but honestly I won't try that but simply pass on the TH500.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #340 of 583

I really hope you're right, but I also really doubt it. The T50RP has some of the most abrupt bass roll off I've ever seen in a modern headphone, and it's only fixable with closed cups and an assload of damping. The TH500RP uses a transducer based off the T50RP, and unlike the T50RP, it's fully open.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #341 of 583
Possibly a direct capsule type of damping without ruining the open nature. Tricky.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #342 of 583
  I really hope you're right, but I also really doubt it. The T50RP has some of the most abrupt bass roll off I've ever seen in a modern headphone, and it's only fixable with closed cups and an assload of damping. The TH500RP uses a transducer based off the T50RP, and unlike the T50RP, it's fully open.

Possibly a direct capsule type of damping without ruining the open nature. Tricky.

I think they set up a type of wall behind the driver, to "hold in" the sound. Shure closed the back of the drivers on their 1840 and 1440 models.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #343 of 583
Is there any truth to this at all - when compared to the 560?   

From Steve;

"This headphone sounds fuller and richer than Audeze's latest LCD-2 and Hifiman's new HE-560 headphones. The TH500RP is downright soulful, and this may sound strange, but it makes digital recordings sound more like analog recordings, and that's a complement.

The TH500RP pulled me further inside Holly Cole's "Temptation" CD than the HE-560 did; that one sounds clear and clean, but I preferred the TH500RP's sweeter tonal balance. It's a more romantic flavor, and voices sound especially natural."

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #344 of 583
  Is there any truth to this at all - when compared to the 560?   
From Steve;

"This headphone sounds fuller and richer than Audeze's latest LCD-2 and Hifiman's new HE-560 headphones. The TH500RP is downright soulful, and this may sound strange, but it makes digital recordings sound more like analog recordings, and that's a complement.
The TH500RP pulled me further inside Holly Cole's "Temptation" CD than the HE-560 did; that one sounds clear and clean, but I preferred the TH500RP's sweeter tonal balance. It's a more romantic flavor, and voices sound especially natural."

IMO, the CD he is referring to has acoustic bass, and that would be the weak point of the TH500RP.  I use that album for textured bass response test files, maybe clear and clean vocals but that doesn't make for compete sound!

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #345 of 583
Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well that answers that. Unsubscribed, there's no way I'll like this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back